Book recommendations for The Golden Dawn Tarot

Mikward

I'm a beginner with the tarot, though i currently possess three decks. I'm currently trying too learn The Golden Dawn Tarot since i find The Thoth to be a bit too complex and Raider-Waite too ugly and uninspiring.

I'm currently reading John Bonner's "Qabalah - A Magical Primer" to learn some of the symbolism behind the tarot.

Book recommendations on the tarot in general and the Golden Dawn Tarot in particular would be much appreciated.

Also, if you think that some other tarot deck is especially good for beginners, feel free to tell me about it.

WolfyJames

Well, the three decks that you mention are all Golden Dawn tarot decks. Whatever you learn for the Golden Dawn Tarot will be good for all three, including the Thoth. The Golden Dawn Tarot is not simpler than the Thoth. All Golden Dawn are somewhat complex to learn. They all demand that you dabble in a few things like numerology, astrology, Qabalah, alchemy, etc., you can focus on a few subjects only or all of them if you want. That doesn't mean that you cannot use the decks intuitively, many do so without knowing anything is any of these subjects. The Rider-Waite Tarot is easier to use without any of these because of the illustrated minors. Still, it is worth the effort.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic Mikward!

There is a companion book written by Wang for the Golden Dawn deck:

Introduction to the Golden Dawn Tarot, An
Wang, Robert
Samuel Weiser, Inc, 1978
0-87728-370-2

This book may also be useful. It's not about the Golden Dawn deck but about the Golden Dawn tradition:

Magical Tarot of the Golden Dawn, The
Zalewski, Pat & Chris
Aeon Books, Ltd., 2008
978-1-90465831-3

You can also look through the Tarot Books & Media Forum Index sticky Note at the top of the forum to find lots of info on books. There's a section on decks used to illustrate books that will give you at least one more book that you might find helpful.

In my opinion, the best tarot deck for a beginner is the one that calls to you and that holds your attention.

HTH,
Rodney

Marchal

What about:

- The New Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot: Keys to the Rituals, Symbolism, Magic and Divination - Chic Cicero - ISBN 0875421393

IIRC its content is not too different from the Wang book, though, and both follow closely or even quote from the Golden Dawn Liber T (which in any edition would be another choice; you find it, e.g. in ISBN 1567181325 by Israel Regardie, although I think the Wang book quotes it rather completely).