Tarot novels?

Chatmauve

In "Touch the dark", the main character has a tarot deck. But it is only seen and talked of in a few scenes. She read tarot at her friend's bar to make some money.

It's a book with vampires, werewolf and wizards, in modern time. I quite like it. The main character can see ghosts.
http://www.karenchance.com/books_ttd.html

thorhammer

Moonchild by Aleister Crowley is an . . . interesting venture by a towering genius of non-fictional occult writing into the world of fiction. It's not by any means a literary masterpiece; in terms of its structure it is too complex and somehow doesn't seem to follow its own course. Nevertheless, it's not hard to read and it's fun. Tarot is Plot Important somewhere in the middle :)

I'm glad I read it, and will read it again. I guess that's endorsement enough.

\m/ Kat

Hedera

I've read the first book by Skibbins: unfortunately, the main character put me off completely.
I found him utterly unlikeable and repulsive, and I got the impression the author hadn't intended him to be that bad.

The tarot in the book, though, is quite 'real' and believably written.

If anyone wants to take my copy off my hands, it can be yours for postage. ;)

A tarot-novel which I did like quite a bit is 'Andromeda Klein', by Frank Portman:
http://www.amazon.com/Andromeda-Klein-Frank-Portman/dp/0385735251.

It's *very* tarot-centered, and the most important card, refreshingly, is the Two of Swords (why they picked the Three of Swords for the cover is a mystery to me).
Great, fresh writing, an interesting and likeable main character, and it made me look at A.E. Waite in a whole new way!

Really, an excellent book.

Edit: Hmmm, I seem to have forgotten how to make links look pretty...

Glitterbird

The book "The Master of all Desires" - Judith Merkle Riley
Its a historical fiction - Tarot reading/playing is the kinda the back drop of the story not the main focus. But its a great book.

Marcia959

Interesting that you're put off by Skibbins' main character. It's precisely his crusty nature that I do like. Maybe it's because I know the area and can visualize the character pretty easily; he fits into the landscape. The fact that he reads cards for the money and is surprised himself when he gets intuitive insights is fun IMHO. And I know the corner described as his hangout. Unfortunately, Cody Books is no longer in business there, a terrible loss to the non-fictional world as well as the fictional!

Hedera said:
I've read the first book by Skibbins: unfortunately, the main character put me off completely.
I found him utterly unlikeable and repulsive, and I got the impression the author hadn't intended him to be that bad.

The tarot in the book, though, is quite 'real' and believably written.

If anyone wants to take my copy off my hands, it can be yours for postage. ;)

A tarot-novel which I did like quite a bit is 'Andromeda Klein', by Frank Portman:
http://www.amazon.com/Andromeda-Klein-Frank-Portman/dp/0385735251.

It's *very* tarot-centered, and the most important card, refreshingly, is the Two of Swords (why they picked the Three of Swords for the cover is a mystery to me).
Great, fresh writing, an interesting and likeable main character, and it made me look at A.E. Waite in a whole new way!

Really, an excellent book.

Edit: Hmmm, I seem to have forgotten how to make links look pretty...

Sulis

Marcia959 said:
Interesting that you're put off by Skibbins' main character. It's precisely his crusty nature that I do like. Maybe it's because I know the area and can visualize the character pretty easily; he fits into the landscape. The fact that he reads cards for the money and is surprised himself when he gets intuitive insights is fun IMHO. And I know the corner described as his hangout. Unfortunately, Cody Books is no longer in business there, a terrible loss to the non-fictional world as well as the fictional!

I really like him too but I've been a bit of a crusty hippy in my time so maybe that's why :laugh:.

Hedera

I have no objection to crusty hippies whatsoever (in fact, I consider myself one); I do object to people who congratulate themselves on how noble they are for not taking advantage of a 14-year old girl who has just seen her mother horribly murdered.

Yes, he *even* turned down the blow job she offered him!
What a shining pearl of a man!

I don't know, scenes like that just made me feel sick to my stomach.

Edit: I suppose my real problem is with the writer, coming up with characters who do stuff like that, and somehow thinking that that's ok.

MareSaturni

Scion said:
Promethea is GENIUS. Issue 12 is the most explicitly, ingeniously tarotical of all of them, but Alan Moore is a practicing Thelemic magickian and knows his Agrippa and Crowley. The series is essentially a Hermetic Magick 101 course taught as a 32 issue comic. there are quickie tours of the Suits and the Sephiroth and the Ptolemaic spheres at various points. The Goetia show up as characters! And if you think that the fact that there are 32 issues is an accident, think of the Tree of Life and you'll get a sense of how smart Moore is. :D

I'm not sure if they published the entire series here :(

In any case, i think i'll buy what they have released here... you've got me really curious!

I'll also look for "Andromeda Klein", another book that seems interesting to me.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations!