Black Obsidian Scrying Ball

Ethereal_Phoenix

That sounds pretty! When do you think you'll try it out?

Le Fanu

Just bought a black Obsidian scrying mirror (this thread helped!) the largest one I could find; 15 cm diameter and 8mm thick. Inspired by Dr Dee and his "shew stone"

I have had confirmation of order and stuff but no news as to whether it has shipped or not...

Can't wait for it to get here! I wanted a sphere but couldn't find any that I felt were large enough. I like BIG globes to look into!

ETA; just had confirmation that it shipped this afternoon! Hurrah! :)

Le Fanu

My Obsidian scrying mirror arrived today. It is absolutely beautiful. I fell in love with it as soon as I took it out of the package. I can hold it in the palm of my hand and gaze into it. Absolutely stunning. Highly polished and so easy to glare into and lose yourself. I love the fact that it has no fussy tacky frame; pure polished stone and nothing else. I've got a velvet bag on the way to keep it in. This is going to be such a prized addition to my tarot table!

I find it much more pleasing to stare into than my crystal ball!

flying black kat

One of the pieces I have that is black obsidian is egg shaped.

I use it and a egg shape lava rock (which is shades of blue) for grounding and balancing.

I think of black obsidian as beautiful and reassuring.

Kathy

Le Fanu

Here is a picture of Dr. Dee's Obsidian scrying mirror in the British Museum. Couldn't resist posting it here.

What a beauty! Came from the Aztecs in the 16th Century...

Grigori

I think there is some debate as to whether the mirror from the exhibit is really the one Dee used when receiving the Enochian system, but its still very nice to look at. A picture from my visit to the museum there is attached. You can also see a crystal sphere and Dee's wax sigils.

Attachments

• dee's collection.jpg
    dee's collection.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 123

Le Fanu

O Wow! great pic! thank you so much for that; enables me to see it in its setting and everything! Love it! I'm still reading the Book of English Magic which is what led me to these images.

I see that his was 18cm in diameter (mine is 15cm:)) but it looks quite big in your picture.

Ethereal_Phoenix

I'm back! I haven't been on lately, life has been a little hectic.
Le Fanu, does your Scrying Mirror have a frame like a real mirror or is it a slate? Have you had any luck scrying yet? Also, does it have any particular qualities to it? :)
I got my sphere in the mail and it isn't pitch black, it actually has gold sparkles through it. Does anyone know the qualities of golden obsidian compared to black? It doesn't have an intense amount of gold but I feel it's enough to have different characteristics.

canid

Ethereal_Phoenix said:
I'm back! I haven't been on lately, life has been a little hectic.
Le Fanu, does your Scrying Mirror have a frame like a real mirror or is it a slate? Have you had any luck scrying yet? Also, does it have any particular qualities to it? :)
I got my sphere in the mail and it isn't pitch black, it actually has gold sparkles through it. Does anyone know the qualities of golden obsidian compared to black? It doesn't have an intense amount of gold but I feel it's enough to have different characteristics.

There's a thread here -

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=131195&highlight=black+mirror

I posted an image I made that's similar to what I see in my mirror. I use that & a crystal sphere. Have you checked out yellow obsidian? I waaant! I have one of these tumbled stones & it's stunning - it has blue, red, purple flash like emerald. I really want a sphere but they're hard to find.

Yellow obsidian

Le Fanu

Ethereal_Phoenix said:
My mirror is totally black. Looks like a 1cm thick slab of glass, but it's definitely Obsidian. It is absolutely beautiful, I'm madly in love with it. I had a crystal (probably glass) ball and would sit trying to scry but there's something about the roundness of it which distracted me (all the refractions & distortions of what was around me). My mirror has no frame. I tip it slightly so it reflects the blank, white ceiling and so there is nothing in the reflection to distract me. I find that I see swirls and cloudiness very quickly. No shapes, no recognisable forms at all. But I'm not trying for that. I see it as a meditative aid. I relax, light candles, blank my mind, gaze into the mirror and lose myself and feel myself entering another state, quite literally a sinking feeling. Maybe it's just relaxation, but I love it. I don't feel even slightly tempted to get a ball. The Mirror is perfect and not at all heavy (it is about 15cm diameter) to hold as I imagine a ball would be after 10 minutes. I also bought a beautiful obsidian palmstone last week. I just LOVE obsidian. I love rocks/stones which almost feel manmade/fake! There is something so smooth and flawless about black obsidian...