Your name and marketing

pasara

Many readers seem to use a "stage name" as a Tarot reader. Does it draw people in more, add to the mystique? One of the other local readers calls herself Madame ________. It seems a little fake and corny. Yet, Readings by Bob, for example, doesn't seem to really cut it, does it? What do you think about this, and do you yourself use your regular name or a Tarot name?

satinangel

I use my name.

Barbaras Ahajusts

I go by my name. I don't think I should hide what I enjoy doing. Now if I tacked on the title Madame, well it brings to mind someone running a Chicken Ranch, since I am in Texas.:laugh:
Best little chicken ranch in Texas? Remember that movie? :D

Marcia959

I use my name. It's who I am and I don't really want to be anyone else.

I used to joke about not being able to select an alter ego because my own ego was taking up all the room! But to be serious I just wanted to be me. I'd rather be open and honest about myself. And I don't feel like I'm on stage. I'm just living life.

I don't mind that others may have a stage name or are on stage. That's their way of living their lives. Sometimes having a stage name is easier to handle fame. (Haha, Fame has never been a problem for me! Having never sought it, I've met my goal.) Sometimes having a stage name is just easier for others to remember or pronounce. There are lots of reasons that don't have anything to do with being open and honest or not, so don't get me wrong.

It's just that for me if I assumed a stage name I wouldn't feel honest about myself.

Debra

I use a professional name--my real first name and a plausible last name that's not my own. This is to protect my privacy.

Marcia959

Debra said:
I use a professional name--my real first name and a plausible last name that's not my own. This is to protect my privacy.

That's a good reason!

Baroli

I use my name.

214red

i use my name, using a stage name sounds a bit like theatrics, actors use them sometime to seperate their professional life with their private life....i am what i am.

Demon Goddess

I use my own name, with the exceptions of "Demon Goddess" here, and @Pepperfire on Twitter.

But either way, it's still me.

nisaba

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
Now if I tacked on the title Madame, well it brings to mind someone running a Chicken Ranch,
<cackle> It just reminds me of women who run brothels.

Nup, I use my name, which fortunately is fairly memorable anyway.

There was a woman around where I used to live who called herself "Minerva" and handed out business cards. Her teenage son, who disapproved of everything about her on principle, would simply say when clients rang up: "No, this is a family home, there's no Minerva here", and hang up.