How to remove sticker residue from books?

akirafist

My local Half Price Books had a 20% sale on their titles, so I purchased a ton of great tarot books. Unfortunately they put a monstrous sticker on the back, and the previous owner tried to peel it off. Now there's a nasty stick residue all over the back when I try to hold it while reading.

What can take this off safely, without damaging these (otherwise) wonderful condition books?

thanks!

Greg Stanton

Goo Gone, available at most supermarkets.

AJ

the used bookstore I love has a can of butane (lighter fluid) they use to clean books before they put them up on the shelf. Don't smoke while using it :) but it works great. Squirt a little on a rag, cleans everything off.

To get a sticky sticker off in the first place put a little heat to it with a blowdryer.

FatesLady

Rubbing alcohol on a cloth can work as well. Good luck.

Hedera

When all else fails, oil (any kind of cooking oil) rubbed on the gluey spot and left to soak for a bit usually removes difficult sticker residues (and is less damaging to some covers than lighter fluid can be).

KafkasGhost

Nose grease works pretty well. I'm serious. The sides of our noses produces sebum, which is a very lightweight oil. Works every time in a pinch. You can thank my father-out-law [father of my ex-husband] for that. ;)

Sinduction

It depends on the part of the book. For instance, paperbacks have that plastic coating while hard covers can either have a dust jacket or not.

If the coating is plasticy, as opposed to flat out paper, I use goo gone. I found it at the Dollar Tree for, yep, one dollar. Squirt a few drops on a soft cloth and rub the sticky off. If on paper, I use the blow dryer idea that was already posted. I've not used butane or alcohol on books but I have used them on household items with good results. When in doubt, I try the blow dryer first, before I chance wrecking my book.

thorhammer

Also - nail polish remover, gin (yes, really, and vodka prolly does as well) and tea tree oil, though I have a feeling that that's as endemic to Australia is Goo Gone is to the US.

\m/ Kat

kittiann

Tea tree oil is around in the US if you're willing to look for it - oddly enough, a lot of body piercing and tattoo places will have it.

Sinduction

Goo Gone is just orange oil. You could also use any kind of furniture polish that has orange oil in it. :D