How to remove sticker residue from books?

IheartTarot

I use a rubber eraser, carefully.

WingspreadPhoenix

I personally use nail polish remover, unless it's on a paperback book. Then I take the sticker off as carefully as possible then rub the little residue off with my thumb.

gregory

Vicks Vaporub.... :)

Seriously. Works great. Rub it in, leave for ten minutes or so and rub off; repeat as required. I do also have "Sticky Stuff Remover" (I imagine it is the UK version of Goo Gone !) but if this doesn't happen to you a LOT, why spend the cash ?

photokat

Ah this is one of my favorites!

Heat it with a hair dryer.
Remove.

Ta-Ta!

Depending on the stickie, you may need to resort to Goo-gone, but it's worth trying w/o chemicals first.

Rosanne

Oil of Euculyptus- removes all glues. Removes chewing gum from hair/shoes etc. as well. It is bio-degradable and it is cheaper than products like De-solve-It. You can get from the pharmacy. Especially good for removing price tags from gifts.

Glass Owl

Vicks has Eucalyptus oil in it, so I bet that it is why that works. Too bad I didn't know about this tip the other day.

MoonGypsy

There is a fab product called "Goo Gone". It really is great

i use it for so many things, and most especially--stickers. On the bottle front it says:

"Removes Grease, Stickers, Tar, Gum, Crayon, Tape."

Great product with a citrus scent.

Hugs,
MoonGypsyxxx

ETA: Well, obviously i hadn't read through ALL of the earlier posts; :p because some folks have already mentioned "Goo Gone". Rightly so, because it WORKS!!! :D And...it lasts a very long time. i use mine quite often, and i still have my original bottle! A little goes a long way...
It is very convenient to just grab the Goo Gone..

Lela

The thing that I find works best is Bestine solvent thinner. Works like a charm. Using a paper towel, gently dab it on the sticker you want to remove. It will dissolve the sticker glue in no time flat and come off very easily and cleanly. You can pick it up at any arts/craft supply stores. HTH

OnePotato

I strongly agree with Lela: Bestine (Also known as rubber cement thinner.)

It is designed for use on paper.
It is made to evaporate completely, and will not leave any oil residue.

Anything with oil in it will likely leave behind an invisible residue that may discolor and stain and darken over time, depending upon the surface. If it's laminated, it might not happen, but if it is porous, it will, even if it takes years.

gregory

As a matter of interest and as one who has to buy nasty plastic toys at times :( - is it OK on plastic ? I used something once on a CD case and it turned it all opaque :( So I'd love to know.... can you try it on what they call "a small unobtrusive area" and let me know ?? ;) Vicks does OK - but is tedious.....