Something wrong with majors only ?

Sanctum_Priest

Using two decks

This may be controversial but I like to start a reading with a significator from a Majors only deck and then move on to a 78 card deck.

SP

arisaema

i am a newbie, and this was a very interesting thread to read. a while ago, i bought two sets of cards, not knowing they were 'only' major acana...well, actually i guess i did, but had no idea what it meant! so, when i realised a full deck is major and minor, i was confused. i wondered why would it be sold alone, but my questions have mostly been answered here! ha, ha...i thought i wasn't "playing with a full deck".

Luna-Ocean

This is a very interesting subject i have never considered buying a 22 Major's deck in all the year's i have spent reading the cards, although now since finding a perfect Major's deck recently this as changed my mind.

I have seen some very special limited editions going on AT and i can understand the costs that these self publisher's will ask for, it's rare to find that special deck that connects with you especially if the art concept is something very close to your heart even if its just 22 Major's i think is well worth having.

greatdane

Can be Beautiful but...

For me it's like reading a story that only allows limited words. It's not that I can't read with Majors only, or that some of the decks aren't just really lovely, it's that it feels limiting. A full deck feels more nuanced, gives me a fuller picture. With that said, I think there are times one could get what they needed from Majors only and maybe some readers can always get what they want from them. For me, it's more like they give you some basic info without filling much in. I have read with them, I might again, but I just prefer all 78 cards.

Thoughtful

l have never tried reading with majors only, but like you GD l find l get so much more from reading with the whole 78 set.
Maybe l should give this a try sometime though l think l will always feel l am missing something.

rylla

I first learned tarot with the R-W and Thoth deck which have 78 cards. I agree that the 22 majors are the essence of tarot, still a deck that has less than 78 cards feel incomplete (after all if I don't want to use all the cards I can put them aside but I like to know that I have the complete deck).

I do buy occasionally 22 cards decks for their art or expressiveness, etc, but only when I don't have the option to buy the same 'full' 78 cards deck. A 22 cards deck feels like is 'missing something' (as I read in a previous post: ya, it's missing the other 56 cards). The only reason I can come up for a deck not to have 78 cards but 22 isn't really tarot or esoteric related but just practicality (time, money or others - mostly specific to 20 or 21 century). Ok, I get that, but it's a turn off for me.

It might be different from a collector's point of view. But I am just a Tarot fun.

rylla

I first learned tarot with the R-W and Thoth deck which have 78 cards. I agree that the 22 majors are the essence of tarot, still a deck that has less than 78 cards feel incomplete (after all if I don't want to use all the cards I can put them aside but I like to know that I have the complete deck).

I do buy occasionally 22 cards decks for their art or expressiveness, etc, but only when I don't have the option to buy the same 'full' 78 cards deck. A 22 cards deck feels like is 'missing something' (as I read in a previous post: ya, it's missing the other 56 cards). The only reason I can come up for a deck not to have 78 cards but 22 isn't really tarot or esoteric related but just practicality (time, money or others - mostly specific to 20 or 21 century). Ok, I get that, but it's a turn off for me.

It might be different from a collector's point of view. But I am just a Tarot fun.

Richard

1. I am not a collector.
2. The quality of the art is very important to me.
3. I don't care whether it has 22 or 78 cards.
4. Most of my decks are 78 because that's the only option.
5. My giant B.O.T.A. and my Lebanese are 22 for the same reason.
6. I'm currently lusting after Wilfried Houdouin's Le Tarot de Marseille Edition Millennium, which is presently available as a 22 but will eventually be a 78, so I'm not sure what to do, dammit. (My Tarot budget is not unlimited.)

Luna-Ocean

1. I am not a collector.
2. The quality of the art is very important to me.
3. I don't care whether it has 22 or 78 cards.
4. Most of my decks are 78 because that's the only option.
5. My giant B.O.T.A. and my Lebanese are 22 for the same reason.
6. I'm currently lusting after Wilfried Houdouin's Le Tarot de Marseille Edition Millennium, which is presently available as a 22 but will eventually be a 78, so I'm not sure what to do, dammit. (My Tarot budget is not unlimited.)

I think i might need to stop looking at all these decks on AT i had to stop myself going on Adams Mcleans site after 5 times already Lol, i actually liked the way the colour's were used for the Wilfried Houdouin deck layout, but must admit i'm not really one for collecting de Marseille type decks but found that one really interesting.

Richard

I think i might need to stop looking at all these decks on AT i had to stop myself going on Adams Mcleans site after 5 times already Lol, i actually liked the way the colour's were used for the Wilfried Houdouin deck layout, but must admit i'm not really one for collecting de Marseille type decks but found that one really interesting.
Have you seen the ISIS? })