Divinatory Tarot by Papus (1909) - English Reprint

Cerulean

The original discussion refers to the English translation in a few posts...this version is by Beryl Stockman, published in 2008 by Aeon Book

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=72834&highlight=divinatory+tarot+papus

The reason I am posting here is to continue the discussion.

I seem very grateful for this lively and gentle translation as the first descriptive words for the two of cups is "from the point of view of spiritual healing..." which I could have missed with my rusty French! Let me explain why...

I was going through this book more carefully because I was working with my Etteillas in a different way lately. I started a thread in Tarot History of doing a somewhat subjective English more related to Victorian or period language rather than a modern English Editions Dusserre French to English translation of the Oracle des Dames by Julia Orsini (likely around 1850). The Julia Orsini text came with the circa 1850-1890 Lismon Etteilla (not published in the 20th century). There's a very fortune-telling slant, which is great in it's way--but Papus' Divinatory Tarot in translation brings home to me in clear English there were other things in play in how people looked at tarot in 1909.

Anyway, since the Papus book came out in 1909 with discussion that references Etteilla and some of the designs show semi-illustrated pips, especially in the Two of Cups. I had noted in earlier years that a version of the Etteilla had an interesting serpentine insignia as well as the cups...the Divinatory Tarot design with Papus' work translated shows a very alchemical serpentine caduceus that was made more clear in Pamela Colman Smith's work with the red lion on top. The caduceus can be Hermes...and medical organizations today use the double serpentine...anyway, in terms of enjoying looking at crossroads between alchemy and tarot in decks such as the modern Alchemical Tarot Renewed, retracing a look backwards can be illuminating.

Caduceus symbology:

http://drblayney.com/Asclepius.html

The translation in English and the posted design of the two cups and a central urn with entwined serpents on a stone reminded me of the Lismon Etteilla two of cups.

The Lismon Etteilla Two of Cups... where the cups are submerged under water and a flask is centered between them--the cups and flask are set on stone under water, one cup entwined with vegetation. Two serpents entwined on the thin neck of the flask as it rises to the surface and in the air the serpents face each other--a flame of yellow and rosy pink beween them.

If the central flask under water on a stone with rising entwined serpents in the air with a flame shooting out are not alchemically related...hmmm!

Close two of cups until I can upload the correct picture--the Grand Etteilla by Grimaud two of cups is very similar:

http://www.tarot.com/tarot/decks/index.php?deckID=9

I'll try to find a picture or post later when the light is better to take a picture...

But the English translation and work with the Ettella Tarots and Alchemical Tarot opened my eyes to see....crossroads with tarot and alchemy everywhere!

Cerulean

Cerulean

I've been using this book for comparing with my 1948 Modiano

The scan shows the older 1948 two of cups (no Etteilla numbering only keywords on the bottom of the card), ace of cups and 1948 Modiano deck. The 1948 Modiano was reprinted sometime in 1970s-91 by Modiano and U.S. Games with added information, keywords...so the American/English language version is called the Cagliostro, the Italian is known as Modiano 184.

Another scan shows the Modiano 184 from 1948 with the original numbering of the World as 22 (lower right hand corner).

The 'revised' version of the World card is on the right, by Modiano it is now number 21. This seems to agree as per the Divinatory Tarot reprint translated by Beryl Stockman. Also the U.S. Games Cagliostro Tarot reprinted -- as of now I only have the 1981 reprint --the reordered deck shows the World as 21 to 'fit' other resources suggesting the Modiano 184 echoes Etteilla and Papus designs.

(I am not clear right now on the why of all the details...this is what I am observing based on comparing the texts and cards.)

Additional note: The Fool in the Modiano 1948 (Cartomanzia 184) is 21, which is different from the modern reprints.

In the revised/subsequent reprintings of the Modiano Cartomanzia 184 and Cagliostro, the Fool is numbered as 0 / 22 on the lower right hand corner.

The Divinatory Tarot translation by Beryl Stockman text shows that 20 Judgement is followed by 0 The Fool and then 21 The World. The book has been very useful to me to help compare against many older Etteillas, some 20th century tarots and some divination instructions (it lists the 32 card divination that echoes the Patience/LeNormand methods/deck instructions)...etc..

Best wishes

Cerulean

Attachments

• mod18448.pdf
    488 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20110108_080208.jpg
    IMG_20110108_080208.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 428