Stuart Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot in three volumes (soon to be four)

Kiama

The 3 Encyclopedia's by Kaplan?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew whether the Tart Encyclopedias 1-3 are all still in print, and how much they are? Oh, and are they worth getting?

Kiama

catlin

I got mine for 80 € and I did not regret it. It is pretty interesting for reference (although I think the rare and hard to find deck lists not very helpful) and to see what decks are still missing in your collection so be careful ;)

Minderwiz

Amazon list all three volumes here in the UK, with delivery times of around 1 to 2 weeks. Prices are around £22 - £29. Amazon US has volume 2 for $24

I saw a copy of volume 2 in a bookstore in Philadelphia a few months back and still regret not buying it.

Minderwiz

truthsayer

well, my advice is this: while i think the set is nice to have, i think for a student on a budget it's a luxury you don't have to have at this point. volume 3 just came back into print this fall. i think even if kaplan's encyclopedias aren't in print that you should be able to find them as used books or a new more updated set will be out. right now i really feel that saving your money for living expenses until you know how your budget is going to be is more important. what seems like extra money too often gets caught up in unexpected expenses.

school probably hasn't been in session for very long but i doubt it will be long before you'll be so swamped with assignments and basic campus survival that you won't even have time to miss luxuries like the encyclopedia of tarot. at least that's been my experience. i actually have a pretty good schedule this fall but i still get overwhelmed and there's decks and books i really want to read but don't have time.

maybe ask for one volume for birthdays and any gift occasions. maybe do readings for donations and put that money aside in a special fund for buying items you want to splurge on.

catlin

Great you point that out, truthsayer. Kiama, I also think that these books won't be so necessary at the moment. If you have some spare bucks and the occasion to find them second hand as I did, I'd say go for it, but not if there are other things to pay for at first.

jmd

Given your interests, Kiama, I would get each of the volumes when you can - the earlier the better. As far as I'm aware, each of the three volumes are in print (they are certainly available in Melbourne).

With Christmas coming before we know it, I suppose they would be handy items to locate and mention to family and friends ;)

Kaz

i guess we could say we have found our real tarotholic on this forum, LOL

kaz

catboxer

Diana:

You won't regret it. It's a great book.

Kiama:

Of the three, I think Vol. 2 is the one most worth having, although Vol. 1 has tons of pictures of modern decks that I had never seen before, some unpublished. Vol. 2 is also easily available on Amazon for reasonable money.