Can one really learn Palmistry from books alone?

Rusty Neon

Hi .... I've been perusing various palmistry books. I'm beginning to suspect that, as opposed to tarot, one needs to have face-to-face instruction for palmistry.

For example, it seems quite difficult to:

(a) determine where exactly the various lines start and end (The skin creases make this determination difficult.)

(b) determine where the mounts are

(e.g., I have fleshy risings in my hand in the region that's between the area directly underneath the Sun finger and the area directly between the Saturn finger. Thus, I'm not sure whether that's the Sun mount, the Saturn mount, or a mount that's centered between the Sun and Saturn so as to share a combination of Sun and Saturn features.)

(c) determine whether the mounts are well-developed vs. average, or poorly-developed vs. average

(d) determine if there are any spots, grilles, crosses, etc. (I'm afraid of my active imagination.)

I find it difficult to work on my own, regardless of whether the book has diagrams vs. photographs vs. photographed 'impressions' of the hands.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Alissa

I've both studied with a palm reader (live and in person), as well as self-studied palmistry through books, so I think I know what you're voicing here Rusty.

I agree, I got more out of my hour-ish long lecture with Catherine explaining stuff verbally, and watching her draw the lines, as she talked, on a blank hand then from reading. The books are nice to go back to, but they don't substitute for what it is to have a live Teacher with you. (But, I'd say that for just about any subject, not just palmistry ;)).

It sounds like a lot of your frustration comes from trying to pin down exact meanings. Palmistry is even worse for that then Tarot, I think (grins).

One thing that took me a while to gain confidence with was the ability to "tune in" by holding my querent's hand while I read the lines. Like my Tarot reading, I read palms based off some very basic features that I always look for (technique), but also I let my intuition have a say at it and let it draw my eye to specific areas. Then, a bit more stream-of-consciousness reading will sometimes take place for me (but not for every reading). When reading the same person's hand at a later date, I will often use more of the "tuning in" approach, since I've gone through the basics of their personality with them the first time through.

At first you may be second guessing that inclination, since you voiced your wondering how much was your imagination. Maybe it is! I would encourage you to follow those leads as well. :)

And, read a *lot* of palms. You will start to see how very different they are and that teaches your eye to deal with a lot of the things that are making you cross-eyed for now (such as the mounts, etc).

I hope this helps some.

Rusty Neon

Thanks alissa ... In my initial email, I had mentioned my major concern, i.e., that I can't categorize what I'm seeing. I agree that seeing more and more palms will help. But even so, I'm afraid that in the end I'll be deepening my errors by going it alone. I don't have the same problem with tarot, as at least you have the cards, and you can say, yes, I have such and such cards in front of me, and now what do they mean? Once you have described the cards in front of you, books and online forums can help. But the description process in palmisty seems more of an art, more subjective. I wonder if I could find someone in person to instruct palmistry locally. I guess my concern with that is that many palmists will be more psychic than technical palmists.

You also mentioned that it's difficult to pin down meanings in palmistry. I find this too. Most of the palmistry books say that such and such means X, some very specific conclusion or trait. And there seems to be big variations in what a particular palm feature means. There seems to be less psychology and to be less framework to arrive at an analysis. It seems that many things have to be learned by rote rather than by logical derivation. I presume that this is because much of palmistry is based on feedback and empirical experience rather than logical derivation?

Alissa

I totally get it ... and here's the rub : if you learn from a teacher in person, you will probably find you adapt to their ways and reading techniques quite naturally. You may then do more readings with this technique and be garnering fabulous results, only to find upon later research a whole BUNCH of discrepencies on the treasured techniques that your Teacher taught you, and that have already worked well for you.

So, what then? Abandon what's been working because this book over here said that's not the right way to read that line? No way!

Some things will begin to jump out at you from palm to palm. Learn to watch for them. A person may have a palm with very few, and very faint lines. The first thing you notice is it's hard to see their lines. Stop! Why? Why is it hard? Shallow lines are often indicative of shallow, or less-than-wholehearted approaches to life, mental or emotional issues. Another palm may open and you are BOGGLED at the number of deep lines that are laid over the palm. This is usually indicative of either a person who has come into this life with a WHOLE LOTTA karma to undo, or someone who has never settled down, and whose life is spent wandering (like the lines on their palm). Or both.

Like in Tarot, it takes reading a few more lines to get the overall meanings that come to the forefront and form the "story" of the palm reading. Don't forget to relate the lines to each other, not just read them singly. That will help.

Here's one last (long) example of how detrimental it can be to try and read palms "the only right way," and second guess yourself.

Early on, I learned the Girdle of Venus was an indicator of certain sexual traits. While using this technique, I found myself tuning in, instead, to what I began calling "their sexual self". I was getting all kinds of details using this technique, from whether they were "creative," whether they were virgins, and in some cases when there was abuse involved in their past.

Many of the things I was getting from this one little area would never be found in how-to-read-palms kinda books. It was by learning how to take a look at the striking aspects of one's palm, and then asking myself why they drew my attention, that I could get there. (This focussing inwards is common for me when I read though, so I don't know how much it's just "my method" and perhaps not so helpful for overall advice).

In any case, when I asked my Teacher Catherine about the Girdle of Venus and sexual abuse, she responded that the area had NOTHING to do with such issues. Huh?, I thought. Then why was I getting all this stuff, and was it all wrong? Well ... no. I knew I was right. Many people had given me immediately feedback after readings, and will tell me exactly where I was right or wrong. (I find this tremendously helpful).

So ... was Catherine wrong? No. But it wasn't her technique.

Did it matter that I couldn't cross reference this technique of mine in another book or outside source? Not really.

Ultimately, when seeking results is all that matters, it gets to be time to let go fo the "what for/how come/whys". I don't know if any of this is helpful, but I'm hoping some of it might be, even though it may read as esoteric advice. :)

Alissa

~giggles...

... and here's the best part about palmistry ...

There are No REVERSALS!!! :D

Dark Eyes

Help if you need

Rusty Neon,
I totally second what Alissa has said.
I find it is great to read a lot of books, to learn by memory what certain things in the palm mean, but it is totally impossible to remember everything from memory. It is very necessary to learn general meanings and use the art of combination as well to come to a conclusion. There are so many millions of combinations that you cannot possibly remember them all, you would go insane trying. So you learn basics, and using some intuition, some memory, and some powers of deduction.
It is most important of all, to read as many palms as you can. You will be surprised at how accurate you will be, and at how much your friends or clients will help you by telling you if you are close or not.
It takes practise, but it comes together over time with practise.
There is nothing like looking at the actual real live hand, no print or photocopy can be totally accurate. You see, it isn't just the lines you are looking at, you are also looking at the shape of palm, fingers, colour, flexibility, nails (shape and colour) skin tone, hairiness etc... the list goes on.
I wish you luck, any time you need advice, or have a question, I will try to help you to answer it. Just let me know.
Read, read, read palms !!!!!!!!!!!!! You will learn so fast that way. theres nothing like it.
Dark Eyes.

Rusty Neon

Dark Eyes said:
I totally second what Alissa has said.

I find it is great to read a lot of books, to learn by memory what certain things in the palm mean, but it is totally impossible to remember everything from memory. It is very necessary to learn general meanings and use the art of combination as well to come to a conclusion. There are so many millions of combinations that you cannot possibly remember them all, you would go insane trying. So you learn basics, and using some intuition, some memory, and some powers of deduction.

hi dark eyes ... Thanks. What I've been finding about meanings given in the various book for various things in the palm are very specific -- this means that. I don't always find general meanings and how to combine. Presumably, one can take what the authors write and then try to generalize based on planet meanings. Any ideas how to find those general meanings and to ease the memory load?

Dark Eyes

Hi Rusty Neon,
Yes, I have lots of ideas. Give me some time to put something together for you, it could take a few days. Some ideas maybe that will help you. I know where you are coming from, it is difficult sometimes to get the basis to work from. I will give it some thought and get back to you presently.
Best wishes Dark Eyes.

Alissa

Sing it, Sister-woman!

Dark Eyes said:
There are so many millions of combinations that you cannot possibly remember them all, you would go insane trying. So you learn basics, and using some intuition, some memory, and some powers of deduction.

There is nothing like looking at the actual real live hand, no print or photocopy can be totally accurate. You see, it isn't just the lines you are looking at, you are also looking at the shape of palm, fingers, colour, flexibility, nails (shape and colour) skin tone, hairiness etc... the list goes on.

~~I just wanted to nod in vigorous agreement to both these 2 specific points of DE's about palm reading~~!

Dark Eyes

Thanks Alissa,
Great to know there are other palmreaders out there who take the art seriously, It is quite rare in my surroundings to find a seriously passionate palmist who knows what they are talking about . So good to have someone else to throw around ideas and interpretations with, and who can truly be of assistance and help. I love the art of palmistry, and it is great to find another who feels the same !
Have a great day Alissa
Regards Dark Eyes.