Books about the Tarot de Marseilles

Le Fanu

Just to clarify, this deck is not available as a deck only is it? Only that "other" Burdel one which has the white backgrounds and the red box.

gregory

It must be; I originally had it as deck only and had to buy a kit to get the book. I think alida is deck only.....

Le Fanu

It's just that I have seen it for sale from amazon sellers and I always wonder if there is a deck only version. You know how vague amazon listings can be and I worried that FantasticBeast might order it and get deck only and wonder what all the fuss was about...

gregory

Best not from alida then :D

TOTALLY safe option - order from Lo Scarabeo. I got my kit from Bookdepository. I see it is still there.

Lee

Gregory is right, first they released the deck only, and then the kit. I think they planned originally to also release the book separately, but they never did, leading to an unfortunate situation where most of the people who were interested in the deck bought the deck only when it came out, then were understandably reluctant to buy the kit, which would have been the only way to obtain the book.

firecatpickles

I was one of those who wanted the book and not the deck. I didn't buy the kit.

Why won't they release it, Lee?

gregory

The LS catalogue (my paper copy, anyway) says the book is available separately. I'd suggest ordering it direct from them. (I can't find it on their website, I must confess.... but then - I can't find any of the "book onlies" that I just bought from them based on their paper catalogue, either.)

Lee

Fire Cat said:
Why won't they release it, Lee?
Don't know. Also perhaps I'm mistaken and they never planned to release the book separately, although my memory of my impression at the time was that they did plan to do so. It's kind of a small book to release separately, and it's stapled, not bound, which seems like it would be harder to imagine it sitting on a shelf in a bookstore. Maybe they originally planned to bind it and release it separately, and then they changed their mind and went for staples instead, which took away the releasing-separately option? All speculation on my part. I was dismayed because fewer people got to read the book than if they had simply released the kit first, or released the book separately. Oh well, all water under the bridge -- and I'm grateful to LS for publishing it at all.

gregory

Well - I just bought a couple of stapled books by themselves from LS..... I'd PM Ric if I were you.,...

firecatpickles

Will do!