books about advice meaning the cards

gregory

But why would any book focus on that one position ?

daphne

gregory said:

No focused, no, I guess there is no book focusing on a specific position. I just want to find a book to include that position in describing the cards.

Sulis

gregory said:
Because it gives you a different way of reading the cards.
I think that a lot of people who are used to reading books that list the cards in predictive ways have trouble interpreting cards that are generally seen as more negative in terms of what advice they give.
How do you interpret the 10 of Swords or the 3 of Swords as cards of advice? Or how do you interpret the Major Arcana (which are usually explained in terms of archetypes or themes) as cards of advice?

Janina Renee tells you how to read for advice but not just the single position. She says that she usually uses 3 card spreads for advice readings and doesn't use positional meanings at all.
She also gives a really broad view of the card meanings, mentioning numerology and elements etc. She also uses a number of decks and so shows how to read with any deck, not just the generic RWS.

daphne

Sulis said:
Because it gives you a different way of reading the cards.
I think that a lot of people who are used to reading books that list the cards in predictive ways have trouble interpreting cards that are generally seen as more negative in terms of what advice they give.
How do you interpret the 10 of Swords or the 3 of Swords as cards of advice? Or how do you interpret the Major Arcana (which are usually explained in terms of archetypes or themes) as cards of advice?

Janina Renee tells you how to read for advice but not just the single position. She says that she usually uses 3 card spreads for advice readings and doesn't use positional meanings at all.
She also gives a really broad view of the card meanings, mentioning numerology and elements etc. She also uses a number of decks and so shows how to read with any deck, not just the generic RWS.

I was now readings reviews on this on amazon.

rwcarter

Tarot Made Easy by Nancy Garen has both Special Guidance and Best Course of Action sections for each card.

Rodney

daphne

rwcarter said:
Tarot Made Easy by Nancy Garen has both Special Guidance and Best Course of Action sections for each card.

Rodney

I first wanted to go for this, bu then I read some opinions on the aeclectic forum and mostly they said it is useles...

rwcarter

As a bible of meanings, I think most books are useless to some degree or another. (And this from the guy who has over 400 tarot books!) But as a starting point to get your own imagination flowing on interpretations in specific areas, it's not a bad book. I think Tarot Pain & Simple is better though.

If you're looking for a book that's going to give you advice that you can use on any card in any spread in relation to any question that might be asked, I fear you're not going to find it. (I don't think such a book exists.) And the problem with any such book like that (even if it did exist) is that its meanings are static and tarot is such a dynamic system that you'll either try to make those meanings one size fits all or you'll be disappointed because the meanings don't cover every subject you might encounter.

For example, advice for the KP in a question about personal finance might be to save and invest wisely. But advice in a business context might be to make prudent financial choices. For a family question, it might be to provide a nice home environment for your family. In a relationship it might mean to shower your mate with the best things in life. As someone's reason for wanting to be in a relationship with you the advice might be that they only want you for what you can provide for them. That's already 5 pieces of advice in 5 different situations, and there are a lot more situations out there. No book is going to give you advice for every situation. And no one piece of advice listed above is applicable in every situation.

Rodney

daphne

rwcarter said:
As a bible of meanings, I think most books are useless to some degree or another. (And this from the guy who has over 400 tarot books!) But as a starting point to get your own imagination flowing on interpretations in specific areas, it's not a bad book. I think Tarot Pain & Simple is better though.

If you're looking for a book that's going to give you advice that you can use on any card in any spread in relation to any question that might be asked, I fear you're not going to find it. (I don't think such a book exists.) And the problem with any such book like that (even if it did exist) is that its meanings are static and tarot is such a dynamic system that you'll either try to make those meanings one size fits all or you'll be disappointed because the meanings don't cover every subject you might encounter.

For example, advice for the KP in a question about personal finance might be to save and invest wisely. But advice in a business context might be to make prudent financial choices. For a family question, it might be to provide a nice home environment for your family. In a relationship it might mean to shower your mate with the best things in life. As someone's reason for wanting to be in a relationship with you the advice might be that they only want you for what you can provide for them. That's already 5 pieces of advice in 5 different situations, and there are a lot more situations out there. No book is going to give you advice for every situation. And no one piece of advice listed above is applicable in every situation.

Rodney

thank you

Teheuti

rwcarter said:
For example, advice for the KP in a question . . .
That's already 5 pieces of advice in 5 different situations, and there are a lot more situations out there.
The Knight of Pentacles once came up in a reading as the fairy "Oak King" (note oak leaf on the RWS card), who turned out to be the querent's inner spirit guide. I had asked her, out of the blue, if "Oak King" meant anything to her—because the oak leaf was all I could see!

I then asked her what this figure (pointing at the card) would advise in her situation, and she knew exactly what he would say.

I often find that this is the best kind of advice a person can get, and it's totally individual to that person!

gregory

I'd agree there. I drew a card with a tiny cat in one corner once. That was what my sitter fixed on. And she drew one for me with a mirror - which in turn was VERY important to me at the time. The strangest things sometimes give us the answers we need to hear.