McElroy's books

zephyr_heart

Hi everyone, some questions if you don't mind. Which of Mark McElroy's books (Absolute Beginner's Guide To Tarot, Taking the Tarot to Heart, What's In the Cards for You?, Putting The Tarot To Work) should I get first? I've been thinking to get one in two weeks from now. But I can't decide yet. They all looks as good as the other.

Anyone have any of them? Oh yeah, also, which of them is the "must have books" for beginners? And how long will it could take to finish exercising with each book?

Thanks&regards,
zephyr

shadowdancer

His books are excellent... I love his style and humour

I would say Putting the Tarot to Work is a worthwhile investment as is Taking the Tarot to Heart.

If I had to choose I would say Putting the Tarot to Work

Have a look on amazon at them all - you may find you can have a peruse of some of the pages to give you a feel for what you feel is right for you at this stage

Davina

Sinduction

My favorite is What's in the Cards For You?

Taking the Tarot to Heart is all about love readings, which I didn't know when I bought it. Since I have very little need of that, it isn't a helpful book for me.

The others I haven't read so I can't comment, but I really do like What's in the Cards For You.

irisa

I'd go for What's In The Cards For You? Chapter 3 sets out 30 experiments at one a day so if you follow his schedule it'd take 30 days :D You move at your own pace of course though so I can't say how long it would take you.

irisa :)

celticnoodle

well, if you go to the new age divination site, www.discountnewagebooks.com, you can purchase two of them at a discount price. and, I'm sure once you are there-you'll find many more goodies to add to your purchase.

Putting the Tarot To Work, your cost $1.99
Taking the Tarot to Heart, your cost $1.99

this company is wonderful to work with. I purchase from them all the time-and highly recommend them! at the above costs, you just might be able to afford to buy the other two elsewhere at full price too! :)

zephyr_heart

celticnoodle said:
Putting the Tarot To Work, your cost $1.99
Taking the Tarot to Heart, your cost $1.99
My. That's so really cheap price (approximately 1/7 of the real price). How did they do that?

Manda

I have found Mark McElroy's books to be very entertaining and informative, as well as giving a lot of great ways to work with tarot that I would not have though of on my own.

I really like the Absolute Beginner's Guide to Tarot, especially for a beginner, as the name implies, but I wouldn't say any of them are not worth it, especially at Discount New Age Books prices, who are very good. I order from them frequently.

zephyr_heart

Just read some previews from google books (Taking The Tarot & Putting The Tarot ones).

I must say, the author got some really practical approach there in his writings.

MarkMcElroy

Thank you!

I appreciate the kind comments on the books. I loved writing them! Absolute Beginners' Guide to Tarot is perfect for those who like "all the details" (and a balanced guide that honors both the practical and metaphysical traditions of Tarot).

What's in the Cards for You? is for people who prefer a hands-on, experimental approach

The earlier books, like Putting the Tarot to Work, are designed to be practical ... and fun to read, too!

I'm writing a guide to the Lo Scarabeo Tarot now -- in public, online, as an open source project. You're invited to collaborate, join in, ask questions -- whatever! (We're taking special care to include material just for beginners, based on feedback my collaborators have already offered.)

Out of respect for Solandia and Aeclectic at large, I want to be very careful to honor the rules here -- but if you're interested in the project (and if you'd be willing to give me the benefit of a beginner's perspective!), check out the Advertising category here on the forum. There's a link to the website where the project is hosted.

Thanks again!

seeker1969

Taking the Tarot to Heart

I just got this book and I really like it! I just got a whole new perspective and I can't wait to read more of Mr. McElroy...