Hallowquest: Lesson 6 The Realm of the Sword

witchychris

I hope I have done this right as it is the first time that I have started a thread in this study group. I'm not sure if anyone else is still working on this (I know Aerin is watching this study group still) but I intend to keep working on it and posting even if it is only me so if there are any new comers please feel free to join in.

I worked on this last week but am posting it slightly late as life has been a bit manic

1) What crises surround you at present – as a person, as a citizen of your land, as a human being upon planet earth?

The main issues surrounding me as a person are those of conflicting needs and desires. Material needs requiring me to bring in enough money versus emotional needs for a relaxed lifestyle. The work that I want to do means working loads in summer and being quieter in winter when emotionallly I want to be relaxing and having fun with my family in summer.
The main issue as a human being upon earth has to be pollution and climate change.

2) What opportunities for total change lie in your grasp?

I am in a position to change my work so that work is more like play so that I can have income and a relaxed lifestyle. Also is our plan to change our lifestyle to make things that we need and stop being materialistic. Also to grow our own veg. Thus we can reduce our expenses and thus reduce our need for income. This change also goes someway towards helping with the pollution and climate change issues.

Meditation

The sword castle was very hard to reach. No matter how hard I tried or how long I walked it didn't seem to get any closer. The wind and rain were lashing at my face. I could feel my self getting weaker and weaker. When I finally arrived there was no one there. I was trying to open the door for ages and there was a voice and someone gave me the key but I couldn't see them.
Looking in the book was quite hard. It was very difficult to be impartial and not feel guilt and remorse.
When I left I had the feeling that I was meant to keep the key and take it with me. I felt that I had passed some kind of test and won the right to hold the key and have control over the book.

I already have a ritual that I do for the Spring Equinox so I did that rather than the one in the book.

Aerin

I am indeed still following. It's always worth posting IMO as you never know when someone will start/ continue the course...

I agree that the course is there to be adapted. It makes no sense to "force" yourself to do a ritual that doesn't feel right.

witchychris

Hi folks, just to let anyone who is watching this study group or thinking of joining in know. I'm really behind with my studies at present. I'm running my own business and doing a part time job aswell at present so time has been really short. I know I could just work through the lessons in number order as time permits but I really like the idea of doing things according to the seasons as suggested in the book. As such rather than trying to do the lessons really quickly to catch up I am planning to take a short break and pick up with the Spear hallow over summer. I'll be keeping up with the Daily Companion Cards in my diary but will start posting again when the next section comes along.

kmartin60

I will be joing in soon...just getting over some major health issues that has set back basicly everything! ggrrr....hahahahaha So please post...it does inspire those of us arriving late to the game...Kim

(Gotta find my book hidden in winter pile of of paper goods....)

witchychris

kmartin60 it's great to hear that you may be joining in soon. I'm planning on picking it up again with the Spear hallow at the summer solstice so that gives me a few weeks to get life under control. Best of luck with the health issues, hope you're feeling better soon.

PathWalker

Pathwalker - Realm of the Sword - lesson six

1) What crises surround you at present – as a person, as a citizen of your land, as a human being upon planet earth?

I don't think I have any personal crises at the moment - Blessed Be!

As a citizen of this country - there will be hardship from financial measures, and more pollution as greed wroks its way.

Earth - oh my, earthquakes, mudslides, volcanos, tsunamis, nuclear reactors leaking, tar sands, strip mining, so much. Some is of our own making for sure; some are maybe natural to mother earth.

2) What opportunities for total change lie in your grasp?

wow! :(
Well, I've just given up my car, and am trying to use the bus, bicylce and feet to reduce my carbon footprint. I've given up eating meat. OTher similar green moves, but they are all small and external. There are interanl things whihc might be more life-changing? Like truly having compassion for all - but what a difficult task that seems.

3.) If you were supremely daring and courageous what actions would you take now to remedy the problems of the first question?

I think my focus would be on energy and food production. If we could commit to renewable energy instead of weapons, and sustainable food production instead of soft drinks for example, what a differnce there could be. If we could get EVERYONE into Reuse, Reduce, Recycle? Break the cycle of un-ending material greed and consumerism? What if we could infect everyone with the qualities of love and respect for life?

PathWalker

Pathwalker - Meditation of the Sword Castle - lesson six

"I step through the doorway on my quest. I travel to find the Castle of the Sword, and walk there for a while."

I cross the rainbow bridge, with my staff in my hand, and quickly approach the crossroads. My feet would turn to my favourite place, but no! Not today, I have another place to visit. So I turn eastwards - into the rising sun, spring blossoming around me.

And after the walking, I come to the place of the Sword. I clasp the swordhilt; it's blessing and energy are for me today, then leave it in it's place, and with a deep breath I cross the bridge to the door.
It opens, and I am greeted by the Hermit! "I can be wherever you need me" he says, to my suprised query.

All around are books on shelves, and maps of journeys laid out on tables. A broken sword, and some maps not completed (I see it's possible to turn aside). All this kept warm and dry by the central fire. But I'm looking for the book with my initials and handprint on the cover, and the Hermit shows me the way. It's in the eastern room, and the rising sun always lights it. And there the book.

And I draw on the paper, names and faces of those lost to me, lives made less comfortable not better by my actions. Some have already passed through the doorway. I think of the living, but know I cannot approach them - what can I do? An idea comes to me, and I think it's good. So I write that pledge, for myself and for the book - this is what I can do..

This seems enough for this day, so I put the paper inside the book, closing it and sealing it shut with my handprint. The list of the past goes into the fire.
When I leave the room, the Hermit is gone, but somehow his smile lingers, making me smile too.

I slip out through the door, and Hawk welcomes me to fly. We cover the land; all is beautiful except in one place, where the land has been cut and scarred by huge diggings. The place is dead of life, cut away, barren, painful to see. Perhaps the pledge will help that gaping place.
I see a herd of wild horses running, trees, mountainsides, a village, greeness.

When I blink, I stand by the bridge again, my staff in my hand, back to this place.

"I have walked the rainbow bridge, and entered the Castle of the Sword. I have followed my quest. Now I step back through the doorway, and come to my journal."

aduki

(I will post only brief summaries)

Ritual:
I have done this ritual twice now, two year ago outside in wonderful spring weather, and this year, inside my living room, with freezing cold outside. Both rituals were very powerful.
A few years ago, we did monthly rituals with a small group of friends. I miss that. These rituals remind me of those, and motivate me to start something similar again. In good time.
Two year ago, this ritual was mostly about Justice, now it was about Insight (not only in an intellectual way, but with all my being). It was about gaining (self-)insight, but also about bringing it to the world (& helping others to gain self-insight).

Questions:
I noticed a change in viewpoint: I won’t “start” any more from what I think the world needs, but from what I have to offer.

Meditation:
The mediation was very similar as two year ago, even though I didn’t remember it and only reread it afterwards. Most important insight: for a long time I tried to avoid having any (negative) impact on almost everything. I was very much afraid to harm anyone, or to bring something negative into this word. I felt very responsible. But that way, it’s not possible to live your life fully. It was as if I felt guilty for simply existing, and that I took so much responsibility in creating “a better world” (second page of the book) because I tried to wash away this guilt. Now I would like to live my life from my full potential, accepting that this may bring imbalance or disharmony into the word.