Joan Bunning's Online Classes

Aerin

I would use the word complement rather than contradict when it comes to card meanings. There's a connection there if you look for it IMO, it's just sometimes harder to find but for me often worth the work as it can extend my own personal understanding of the card. Also, sometimes people are working off different bases (i.e. not just RWS) so you take their base system into account. I like finding the links and being a detective. I see keywords and their like as an extra springboard not a straightjacket.

Contradictions which irritated me were the tarot myth type stuff (wrapping cards in silk, singing to them at a full moon, not reading for someone whose name begins with K in a month with 30 days in it, whatever, Egypt, reversals etc etc). That's generally the stuff I leave well alone or giggle at or roll my eyes at, maybe unfairly but I do. I try out different approaches to reading (like 21 Ways, the approach recommended by Joan Bunning's site) because sometimes something from it clicks with me. Sometimes it doesn't.

Mary Greer's book on Tarot Reversals has an extended set of meanings that come from different angles and approaches, upright and reversed. Some books only look at a card from a fairly narrow perspective which is why they may seem contradictory.

This is the way I find different sources useful. Mileage may vary. With (newly designed) oracles I take a different approach because there isn't (usually) a tradition behind them and, quite honestly, I can't be bothered to learn an entirely new system for just one deck. So I'm more inclined to just go by images - or (with something like the Dreamtime where the cards are heavily based on a particular mythology) read the stories and take from that.

ps and to say again, I don't and have never memorised meanings. I rely on my brain to take what it needs and use it unconsciously for the most part - if I haven't understood a connection than it doesn't stick.

greatdane

I see your point, Aerin...

however, some things I've read, purporting to be RWS, didn't complement, they completely contradicted, like a totally different card or system. I know there is a BIIIG leeway re meanings and it's just to give some idea and that's how it take it. When I see books where meanings are sooo different, I go with the book I'm most comfortable with overall and then use my inituition.

I so get what you mean re tarot myths about rules to do this or that. If any of us wanted rules like that, I doubt we would be here. If tarot isn't about ultimately doing what works for you, I'm not sure what is. So, Kudos, for bringing that up, Aerin!

GD

IheartTarot

greatdane said:
Wondering who has taken Learning the Tarot, Joan Bunning's online class OR Tarot for Beginner's, an interactive course. I have her book now and was thinking of doing one OR the other, would like thoughts on both and thought some of you may have taken one of them. They both sound like beginning classes obviously, but wanted to get opinions from you, dear AT members.

GD

As far as I know the Tarot for Beginners (B&N) online course has not been available for some time. I did the learntarot online course when I started out and am very glad I did. Some people like keywords, it helps them to learn more easily and others don't that is their prerogative. As a FREE resource I think it is a great gift to the Tarot community regardless. I don't believe that one book is going to be enough if you are serious about Tarot and you will need to check them out carefully before you buy too many of the same (how many books do we need that describe EVERY RWS card??). Book recommendations will depend on what area you want to focus on. Here are just a few:

Classics for beginners: Tarot for Your Self (MKG), Tarot Plain and Simple (Anthony Louis), Learning the Tarot (Joan Bunning)
Reading intuitively: The Complete Tarot Reader (Teresa Michelsen)
Using Tarot for positive guidance and growth with case studies: Tarot for Life (Paul Quinn), Tarot Tells the Tale (James Ricklef), Tarot Affirmations (James Ricklef)
Tarot spreads: Get the Whole Story (James Ricklef)
Brainstorming with Tarot: Putting the Tarot to Work (Mark McElroy)

greatdane

Thanks for that, Heart

I have two of the three you listed for beginners. While I take tarot very seriously, I take it on my own terms, so it's helpful to see your post. I like a couple books to compare, but like you said, there's only so many of one kind one can view. I look at, and to, tarot for perhaps different things than some, but as long as I get what I feel I want and need, I'm happy :)) I look for ways to help my intuition, see options I may have missed and self-reflection, so some of those you mentioned are lovely additions for me.

GD

IheartTarot

greatdane said:
I have two of the three you listed for beginners. While I take tarot very seriously, I take it on my own terms, so it's helpful to see your post. I like a couple books to compare, but like you said, there's only so many of one kind one can view. I look at, and to, tarot for perhaps different things than some, but as long as I get what I feel I want and need, I'm happy :)) I look for ways to help my intuition, see options I may have missed and self-reflection, so some of those you mentioned are lovely additions for me.

GD

In that case you may also be interested in these:
21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card (MKG)
What's In the Cards for You (Mark McElroy)
Tarot Journaling (Corrine Kenner), free downloads at www.tarotjournaling.com
The Back in Time Tarot Book - Janet Boyer

P.S. By serious I did not mean serious as in scholarly, I just meant serious as in not just a passing interest:) Tarot can become a very expensive and time-consuming hobby!

greatdane

Iheart!

Thanks again. I agree for some it can be expensive, time-consuming and a hobby. For me, I don't see as any of them. Time-consuming, a bit perhaps, but I'm already getting much of what I want and expect from it. Expensive? Only if one is more into a LOT and/or expensive decks, which I don't think one needs to take tarot seriously. Hobby? Nope, don't really see it as that for me either. I see tarot as a tool, and from that point, take it seriously, but don't feel I need to spend a lot of time or money to get a great benefit from reading. I know there are those who do indeed have it as an all-encompassing passion, both as tarot and collectors. To all and each their own and may we all get what we want from these glorious decks! It's all good!

Blessings,
GD

RexMalaki

IheartTarot said:
Reading intuitively: The Complete Tarot Reader (Teresa Michelsen)

I am following the lessons in this book now. It is similar to The Process. I like the intuitive approach, but I also refer to the Joan Bunning web site...it's a great free resource!

Most helpful to me is the lessons in The Process:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=10772

~smiles~

greatdane

Thank you, Rex!

Always great to get an opinion of someone actually using something or that has used it.

Blessings on your day,

GD