the easiest way to learn tarot ever

seeker1969

I just got this book , written by Dusty White. I have not had time to open it yet. I think there is a web site that goes with it but I have to look at that to be sure.
Has anyone used this or know anything about it?

Lee

I don't have it but it looks like a good book. It certainly gets a lot of positive reviews on Amazon. The author seems to take a relaxed and humorous approach which is appealing. I like the workbook approach and the emphasis on thinking things through and developing one's own meanings as well as providing traditional meanings.

However, the author doesn't seem to mention any other tarot authors or other approaches (to be fair, I'm only judging from the sample pages on his site), so I'd suggest also looking into other books as well just to see things from some different perspectives.

Here is his site with many sample pages, if anyone's interested:

http://www.advancedtarotsecrets.com/index.html

I do wish he had not misspelled names like Pamela Colman Smith or Salvadore Dali, but that's a nitpick.

ETA: On his website, the author says, "The foundation of this course is to help the student learn to hear what their inner voice is saying to them through the visual stimulus of the Tarot, rather than limiting the student to a handful of meanings some “expert” ascribed to all of the Tarot cards unquestionably."

I agree with the sentiment, but I think it's also helpful to read different authors' viewpoints on the cards. I think Dusty White is being a little unfair by implying that other books limit students to a handful of meanings. Most of the tarot books I've read encourage readers to find their own meanings even when they also present that particular author's own favorite meanings -- just as the author of this book does.

Lela

Great book for beginners

I have this book and it's really good for beginners. If you know absolutely zilch about reading Tarot, this is a good 101 book to start with. Dusty's writing style is fun to read and the exercises are truly geared towards the novice. This book is good for laying down the foundations to begin reading Tarot, however, it's not the be all and end all of learning tarot. After making my way through the book, it definitely left me wanting more, which I then moved on to other books. Overall though, I definitely recommend it, it's a great beginners book.

seeker1969

Thanks! I have:
Learning the Tarot-Bunning
Tarot Made Easy-Garen
Super Tarot-Fenton
Tarot Card Combinations-Kelly
Tarot Workbook-Peach
Some of these books I have a hard time seeing what they see-I guess I need to study a little harder!
They all have given me something. There are some more books that I want to add to my stash...I'm trying to do one at a time so I don't overload my brain.

greatdane

I'm really happy with my first book

Tarot Plain and Simple was a lucky first choice. There are lots out there and I think you just have to look through one or at least the Table of Contents. I checked many and have this one and just got Joan Bunning's, although Tarot Plain and Simple is really my go to book as I'm starting. Just like with decks, different books work well for different people and not so well for others. It's in knowing what works well for you and that can take a little thought and experimenting.

Lela

seeker1969 said:
Thanks! I have:
Some of these books I have a hard time seeing what they see-I guess I need to study a little harder!
They all have given me something. There are some more books that I want to add to my stash...I'm trying to do one at a time so I don't overload my brain.
The other book that really helped me a lot, which I've mentioned in other threads, is The Complete Tarot Reader by Teresa Michelsen. This is my absolute favorite book when it comes to learning the cards. It doesn't list the usual key words, but instead encourages you to explore the cards in order to develop your own meanings. It also had by far the best explanation for reading card reversals. It's also not specific to RWS, so it's a great book to use with any deck. Definitely check it out as well.

greatdane

Thanks, Lela!

I will check that one out. I don't work with reversals (maybe some day, but quite happy learning now without them), but like books that stress doing your own work. Sounds like an interesting one. Oh, fyi, I checked on Amazon and they're about 15 U.S. with free ship if order at least 25 dollars worth of stuff. There are also some used under 4 plus shipping.

GD

Scion

A very simplistic if friendly intro to the Waite-Smith. "Thin" is the word I'd use. And I'd recommend Teresa Michelson's Complete Tarot Reader over this in half a heartbeat.

Here's the caveat: Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot is shamelessly, adamantly Waite-Smith based, no two-ways. And like most new age intros to the Tarot, it treats the deck as if it sprang up in metaphysics shop-shelves around the world fully formed. The "E-Z plan" only subjective in the sense that White plunks this one deck and its illustration in front of you and leaves you to work out what the scene depicts. That isn't intuition, that's just making sense of a picture. Those scenes are not open-ended or free-form. They did not fall from the sky. There IS a system there under the line art and primitive coloring.

When White says that you learn to read the cards by responding to "the visual stimulus of the Tarot, rather than limiting the student to a handful of meanings," that means that you are literally reading the meanings that Waite gave to Smith to illustrate. No more no less. Liber T is back there under all the chatty hand-holding and blank workbook pages. To claim that figuring out what the illustrations represent is NOT following somone else's interpretatiion is ridiculous. A bit like figuring out the recipe for Mac 'n Cheese by eating Mac 'n Cheese and then hunting around a pantry till you find the ingredients. The Waite-Smith interpretations of the Golden Dawn meanings is narrow and idiosyncratic in the extreme. Ask TdM people about the 10 of Swords or the 7 of Coins and you'll get a very different take. All the "Tarot in 10 Minutes" classes and "E-Z Intros" in the world cannot negate the fact that the Golden Dawn magickal system is the lifeblood of the Waite-Smith cards.

Still, no one says you have to understand what you are reading to start reading, though you may want to down the line. Most casual drivers prefer automatic transmissions on their cars and have no interest in the engine or the design. If you want to learn to read the Waite-Smith Tarot and you prefer workbooks in chatty idiomatic second person, it's a fine beginner's book. But just because Dusty White isn't explicitly telling you what Waite or Smith intended, the intention is still there and you will be studying those meanings as you discern them. And when the time comes that you want to peek under the Waite-Smith hood or are interested in putting the divinatory pedal to the metal, there are plenty of other titles to explore beyond.