Frankendecken Journal thread

Cat*

From June 11 (copy):

Folks, I need your opinions.

We've already heard about the one huge card that Le Fanu didn't know how to trim. We've also heard that this card got damaged right on Frankie's first trip to Oddity. It has been mentioned that the deck now has an added piece of very sturdy cardboard in that card's size to help minimize further damage (still, despite its sturdiness, the cardboard already has one bent corner from being in the mail). And we've heard that the deck now barely fits the gorgeous patchwork bag from BlueDragonfly, and that at least two people have used a different bag to actually carry the Frankendecken around.

I've taken a few pictures to show those of you who haven't seen the deck yet what we're talking about:

First, the two largest cards in comparison (the back clearly shows how bent one of the corners is already).

Second, a side view of the deck, to point out the size difference altogether (the two bottom cards are again the largest ones, and the deck is roughly level on the side that is in the back of the picture).

Third, the largest card in comparison to the bag. Please note that the bag can't be closed right now at all because the card is higher than the lowest stitching for the drawstring.

So it seems we have four options in this situation:
1. Leave things as they are and hope that the huge card won't be completely destroyed after it has been to 30 more people (which I doubt is a realistic hope if it's pretty bent already after only three times in the mail).
2. Make the original pouch a little bigger (which I could theoretically do, but it would mean messing with BlueDragonfly's work, and that just doesn't feel right).
3. Make a new bag that fits the deck more comfortably (which I could also do, but which would make the pretty original patchwork pouch a bit pointless, which also doesn't feel right).
4. Trim the huge card so it doesn't stand out so much and won't get damaged any further, and so that the bag doesn't get damaged by repeatedly squeezing the deck into it and wiggling it out of it.

Personally, I vote for option #4. The problem won't go away, and I really don't see anyone being happy with how the bag and deck fit together right now. So I'd vote for doing something to improve the situation sooner rather than later. It seems silly and disrespectful to mess with BlueDragonfly's careful hand-sewing, and equally silly and disrespectful to just whip up a new bag and not use hers at all. Since this is a community project, I didn't want to just snip away at the card, but wanted to hear some other opinions first.

So I took a cell phone picture of the card in question and played around in Photoshop a little to see in what ways it could be trimmed if this is what we decide to do. The fourth attachment shows the original card, plus five versions of trimming it (the photo wasn't exactly level, so the "cutting" is a wee bit off at times - which means the actual cutting would look a lot better in any case :)).

#1 is the original.

#2 looks best and would keep some of the pretty border, but it would still be too long to be able to close the bag by its drawstrings.

#3 and #5 are pretty similar, except for the white border. The problem here is that the butterfly suit symbol gets cut in half. These two are my second favorites.

#6 is the minimum trimming that would make any sense. The results of this would make the card the same size as the second biggest one (from the Victoria Regina deck). The problem with the cut-through butterfly remains. Plus, I think it looks a bit off-balance with borders everywhere but at the top.

#4 is the most radical cut. It barely looks as if it has been trimmed, which is why I like it best. The drawback is that the pretty border would be entirely gone. I don't mind the suit symbol being gone much, because there isn't any other card from the same deck anyway, so we don't need to be able to tell the suits apart by their symbols.

(I guess we could also cut off the bottom border with the card title and keep the butterfly. But that would make the card practically un-identifiable, so I didn't even photoshop this.)

So, what do you think? How should we approach this dilemma? To cut or not to cut? And if so, where? :?: :?: :?:

Attachments

• 004f_the two largest cards.jpg
    004f_the two largest cards.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 004g_all cards comparison.jpg
    004g_all cards comparison.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 004h_comparison card + bag.jpg
    004h_comparison card + bag.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 004i_potential trimming versions.jpg
    004i_potential trimming versions.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 132

Cat*

From June 11 (copy):

Thanks for all the opinions! :)

I'm glad there we're all pretty much agreeing that a) trimming is necessary and b) version #4 is the best. I'll do the #4 trim then. It will be one of my adventures with Frankie tomorrow. :)

Le Fanu said:
But then wouldn't it mean that the Victoria Regina Magician is then the largest and then that will get battered on the rest of the journey?
Yes, the Magician would then be the largest card. No, it won't get battered because I will still leave in the piece of cardboard, cut down to a size very slightly bigger than the Magician for some extra protection. Okay, let's be honest: Complete avoidance of any sort of battering is just unrealistic with a deck like this if it's sent by mail over 30 times. But the battering will be a LOT less because the size difference between the Magician and the rest of the deck is much smaller than the one between the 7 of Wands and anything else.

cardlady22 said:
Perhaps we could alleviate some of the stress by not cinching the cord very tightly?
Yes, that would be a good idea. I have just put the deck into the bag without the huge card. We still need to cinch the drawstring very carefully so the opening just narrows instead of closing completely. But Frankie is a deck with a need for special care anyway, due to the wildly different card sizes and formats.

While I'm at it, I will also try to find out what's the safest way of stacking the cards for mailing them. I will then write up a little instructional letter/postcard to send along that explains these things to future hosts of Frankie.

cardlady22 said:
Lillie said:
What deck is that?
Inner Child cards by Isha Lerner, right?
Yes, that's the deck. I just hope that Brigid (who contributed this card) is also fine with having it trimmed.

Cat*

From June 12 (copy):

The #4 trimming has happened this morning. See pictures for the process and results.

BlueDragonfly said:
As far as altering the bag to better fit the deck...please go right ahead.

Cat, if you take out the drawstring casing and the seams on the sides above it, to the top you could slide the drawstring up to the top and just leave the sides open. You might need to tack the edges down so that they don't become frayed. It should close better then. That was my first attempt at a bag and had to be all hand stitched(I didn't have a sewing machine then), so I used hand quilting thread.
That's actually a fantastic idea! I know exactly what you mean, and it wouldn't ruin your wonderful bag design. I think closure is important because most of us will be taking Frankie on a trip or two, so he needs protection. Looks like I'll be doing some last-minute careful sewing tomorrow...

Le Fanu said:
The bag's a tight fit but that's good for the journey; keeps jostling around to a minimum.

Maybe two bits of light card (slightly larger than the largest card) can be put front & back of the deck, like bookends for added protection.
I was thinking along the same lines. I already cut the sturdy card a bit smaller than it was, and the deck now fits the bag okay. I'll have to get out another piece of cardboard later to add.

[...]

It's fun how Frankie provides me with all these problems to solve - which actually is a lot of fun for me. (Yes, I'm weird like that.) :D It's also great that so many of you have chimed in and have given your takes on the matter. Frankie must feel very much loved and taken care of (and I appreciate all the support)! :love:

[...]

I'll write more other stuff in the journaling thread and also have some more pictures for you. But that's for later. Now we'll go and visit a friend for dinner. I'm curious to see what he thinks of Frankie!

Attachments

• 004j_trimming frankie.jpg
    004j_trimming frankie.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 004k_rounding corners.jpg
    004k_rounding corners.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 134
  • 004l_after trimming.jpg
    004l_after trimming.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 133

Cat*

Alright, lots of catching up to do here!

Yesterday, after his #4 trim, I took Frankie shopping to the grocery store. First he insisted on posing with Melitta coffee, especially for Nisaba (who should consider this a friendly nudge from us to continue her coffee oracle "Book of Froth" - see somewhere in the depths of this forum). This brand is named after Melitta Bentz who invented the coffee filter. She's not from Hamburg but I figured that wouldn't matter.

Another photo-op appeared at the chocolate shelf. Watch Frankie's Housewife part relax on a huge bar of Milka chocolate (which isn't even German in origin, but I checked the wrapper and can guarantee that the ones sold in our supermarket were at least produced in Germany - for those who demand accuracy in these things ;))!

Later that day, we visited a friend who recently broke his leg and now needs help when it comes to things like shopping, cooking, and cleaning. Frankie jumped around in the subway, taking turns looking out of the window and watching the weather report on the passenger TV. When the subway finally had gone underground, we got out and walked a bit through the Schanzenviertel to our friend's house. First, we passed a pub called "frank & frei" (which means "frank & free") that served World Cup (= Weltmeisterschaft, short: WM) burgers. Frankie thought the name was all about him, so I indulged him and took a picture.

The "Schanze," as it is called by locals, is one of the "alternative" parts of Hamburg and is currently in the process of gentrification (try putting this through the translation program of your choice to find out more). Its most famous building is the "Rote Flora", a former theater, cinema, store, and now squatted cultural-political project. I have been to several wonderful parties there (although that ironically was before I moved to Hamburg myself) but nowadays don't feel as "at home" there than I used to.

At a traffic light, I discovered a sticker that seemed oddly suitable to a mix-and-match tarot deck as Frankie. It asked "is the system relevant?" - so feel free to answer that for yourself when you get the RWS-Thoth-TdM-whatever else monster into your hands!

Our friend isn't much interested in tarot, but one of his stuffed animals seemed curious when I spread out the cards on the table to shuffle them a bit. So I gave a reading to a stuffed sheep who had picked his own card by nosing through the heap on the table. He seemed to like my sheep-specific interpretation of the MRP Fairy Tale Temperance card, so all was good. We then went on to cook some tasty vegan food (with Frankie safely in the other room) and stayed for quite a long time. When we were waiting for the bus to take us back home, I snapped another picture of an intersection in the quarter. The blue sign in the background is for the "bar rossi" where Mariah Carey once shot one of her videos (I've never been in there but it seems to be expensive and not my kind of crowd).

Back home, we just fell into bed. Frankie slept on the floor, next to my bed.

Attachments

• 004m_shopping with frankie 1.jpg
    004m_shopping with frankie 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 138
  • 004n_shopping with frankie 2.jpg
    004n_shopping with frankie 2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 004o_shopping with frankie 3.jpg
    004o_shopping with frankie 3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 004p_riding the subway.jpg
    004p_riding the subway.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 136
  • 004q_subway TV weather report.jpg
    004q_subway TV weather report.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 127

Cat*

More pictures...

Attachments

• 004r_subway finally underground.jpg
    004r_subway finally underground.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 004s_frank + frei with world cup burgers.jpg
    004s_frank + frei with world cup burgers.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 004t_welcome to the 'schanze'.jpg
    004t_welcome to the 'schanze'.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 004u_rote flora.jpg
    004u_rote flora.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 004v_is the system relevant.jpg
    004v_is the system relevant.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 120

Cat*

And then some...

Attachments

• 004w_reading for a sheep.jpg
    004w_reading for a sheep.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 177
  • 004x_waiting for the bus.jpg
    004x_waiting for the bus.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 130

Cat*

Today, the day began with surgery on the Frankendecken patchwork deck. As BlueDragonfly had suggested, I moved the drawstring tunnel up to the very top of the bag to allow for better closure.

I had hoped to be able to sew this without (m)any visible stitches but it quickly became obvious that durability of my sewing would mean obvious scars. But I figured that more stitches on a Frankendecken were actually quite fitting and went ahead with the procedure (while listening to some tarot podcast and later an Agatha Christie audioplay).

I'm pretty satisfied with the results because the bag can now be completely closed. :) I left the original tunnel as it was, in case the later winner of the deck and bag decides to trim even more cards so they fit into a "shorter" bag.

Later today I did the four readings I had offered. They were very interesting, and I hope their recipients find them useful (I still never know if I'm making any sense as I type away my readings!). I also read the card backs and was fascinated by how expressive they were, and how three out of four readings featured cards that came with backs in a very limited color range altogether. Check out the pictures in the reading thread if you want to see what I mean!

Shuffling was fun, if a bit difficult. I found that my bedspread worked great as a surface to shuffle on, but I must have looked rather silly as I picked the cards without looking at them. (Nope, no documentary pictures of that. ;))

If the weather is okay tomorrow, I'll take Frankie to the park to show him (and you) some more beloved trees of mine. After that, he will be off to the post office to his next stop on the Frankendecken World Tour: gregory.

Attachments

• 004y_post-surgery drawstring.jpg
    004y_post-surgery drawstring.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 004z_frankendecken bag now with even more stitches.jpg
    004z_frankendecken bag now with even more stitches.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 004zz_safely closed.jpg
    004zz_safely closed.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 004zzz_shuffling the frankendecken.jpg
    004zzz_shuffling the frankendecken.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 141

Cat*

Playing with colors... :)

Attachments

• 004zc_playing with colors.jpg
    004zc_playing with colors.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 168

Cat*

The Frankendecken is now on its way to the next host. Pictures of our parting will be posted later...

May the deck travel safely and arrive at gregory's soon! :)

Cat*

Here are the last pictures of Frankie's time at my place. I took a couple of them as he was getting ready for his trip across the Channel.

I hope he will return eventually!

But first: Enjoy your trip around the world, Frankie! May you be safe on your journey, and may you bring joy to everyone you visit. :heart:

Attachments

• 004zd_wrapping things up with frankie.jpg
    004zd_wrapping things up with frankie.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 004ze_wrapping things up part 2.jpg
    004ze_wrapping things up part 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 004zf_patchworking the envelope.jpg
    004zf_patchworking the envelope.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 004zg_post office.jpg
    004zg_post office.jpg