Writing a Book on Tarot for Writers

ArwenNightstar

Hello everyone!

I am a writer. One of my email lists chatted about how to use the Tarot to break through writer's block. I came up with several spreads for writers (I've posted two of them in the Spreads area of the forum).

Now I am trying to outline a book on Tarot for Writers. It will actually be Divination for Writers and will cover several systems besides Tarot.

But, if there are any writers here (fiction particularly because that is what the spreads are geared for), who would be interested in taking a questionnaire, please let me know. I have my profile set so that I am notified if you reply to this thread.

Thank you very much. Moderator(s) I hope that this is allowable and in the correct forum. I know you will move me if it isn't.

Hedera

Hello ArwenNightstar,

that sounds really interesting! I will take a look at your spreads.

I'm not really sure I can still rightfully call myself a writer at the moment, I am having a lot of trouble writing, but I would be interested in taking your questionnaire. When I write, I write fiction, although I have written some song lyrics, as well.

You can send me a pm on this site, or use hedera@tarotforum.net

:)

ArwenNightstar

Hedera said:

I'm not really sure I can still rightfully call myself a writer at the moment, I am having a lot of trouble writing, but I would be interested in taking your questionnaire. When I write, I write fiction, although I have written some song lyrics, as well.

Do you put pen to paper and does something come out?
You are a writer.
Do you see something and itch to describe it on paper?
You are a writer.

smile.

Questionnaire is on its way! Thanks.

Cerulean

Poetry mostly...

...which is the shortest fiction that I know.

So yes, a questionaire would be welcome

Mari_hoshizaki

Khatruman

I am very interested, and have found tarot to help me immensely with my writing. I am a fiction writer. In fact, I entered an online challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in a month, and I used the Fool's Journey as my plot outline.

I have used the William Blake deck, the tarot of the Imagination, the Portal, and Archetype Storytelling cards, for writing inspiration.

I am also a great fan of Natalie Goldberg (Writing Down the Bones and Wild Mind)for breaking through to the creative side. I have considered doing a writer's workbook that incorporated the tarot for creative inspiration.

PM me, if you would like.

jmd

I haven't used the Tarot to write fiction (though some would call what I write farciful, if not fictional :)), but I have used cards or small spread for clarifying situations in the writing of some documents.

You may also be interested in checking a thread earlier started by Kissa, W. Bayer's "Tarot" novel. Bayer, a reasonably well known author, has also used Tarot for writing. He mentions in the afterword to the novel that the writing of fiction from the Tarot arose after a telephone conversation he had with a writer friend of his.

Another person who has used the Tarot, though in this case, more to investigate the depths of darkness within the human psyche, is Sheldon Kopp in The Hanged Man.

Additionally, though not Tarot, I do know of a number of people who write by first contemplating an image, usually with iconographic significance.

If you wish to send a questionnaire, by all means - but my writing is not of the fictional type (though I have included a few Koans in these Forums ;)).
_______
On a moderator note, I'll leave this thread here for a few days and move it to the Talking Tarot section, where it may be better suited and you may get more responses...

ihcoyc

I'm not exactly a writer of fiction. But I have posted here about using tarot cards for filling out the personalities of Dungeons & Dragons characters, and characters in similar games, when I am running them.

SharonElizabeth

I write both fiction and poetry, mostly just personal stuff. I've never tried to publish. I haven't used tarot for writing inspiration, but it's not because it has never occured to me. In fact just the other night I was thinking of writing a series of poems based on the Major Arcana. I would be more than happy to fill out your questionairre, just pm me.
Sharon

ArwenNightstar

SharonElizabeth said:
I write both fiction and poetry, mostly just personal stuff. I've never tried to publish. I haven't used tarot for writing inspiration, but it's not because it has never occured to me. In fact just the other night I was thinking of writing a series of poems based on the Major Arcana. I would be more than happy to fill out your questionairre, just pm me.
Sharon

Sharon, did I send the questionnaire to you? I can't remember! Please let me know.

callahwj

I am a poet and I would be interested.

-Bill