Runes and Ogham? Big Difference?

greatdane

I know some of you use runes, some ogham, some maybe both. I know there is a difference re history as I've read about each, but do you prefer one over the other and, if so, why?

Thanks for any opinions.

GD

WolfyJames

Runes are nordic while oghams are celtic, they originate from different areas.. I connect more with Ogham because of its trees system behind it. I never could connect with runes, I gave away my runes set.

greatdane

Thanks Wolfy

I did read the history about both, but wondered about how people connected with each. You answered that beautifully for me. THANKS for sharing how runes just didn't do it for you. I DO like the tree connection with ogham. I just got the Green Man Tree Oracle which I think is a rather lovely, light-hearted first introduction. Nice book re brief history of ogham, trees and the Green Man as well.

Have a lovely week,
GD

rachelcat

Hi, greatdane! I'm kind of trying to study both at the same time (along with the Gaian and the Universal Goddess). Let's hear it for short attention spans!

I finally got my twigs (ogham set with twigs from each tree from an eBay seller), so I've turned up the studying so I can play with them soon. I like the tree connection and did a good bit of studying a while back for tree stuff. Now I'm basically memorizing the letter signs and names to go with the trees.

One difference for me is I find the actual writing of the ogham symbols kind of tiresome. And reading them, too. Is it 4 or 5 lines?? In contrast, one of the things I really like about runes is the economy, even elegance, of the signs.

Although I haven't done much ogham readings, one way they're similar is in number of items/cards. 24 or 25 runes and 20 or 25 ogham staves. I think if you draw, throw, whatever more than 3 or 4, you're using too many for a clear reading.

I find runes very down-to-earth and easy to read, just read them like a three main word sentence. I'm thinking ogham might need more translation--letters to trees to meaning to applying to subject.

I'm going to play with my twigs today (I'm on vacation!!!!!!!!), and I'll let you know how it goes!

greatdane

Hi Rachelcat!

Oh, I hope you're enjoying your vacation! Still in the U.S.?

Anyway, thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're a bit alike in that we kind of test different things at once to see where we're most drawn.

I thought I would lean more toward runes because of strong scandinavian ancestry, but I do like the tree connections with ogham. Have to say the Green Man Tree Oracle is lovely and that the companion book (a lovely book, not an lwb!) has been interesting regarding history about ogham, trees and the Green Man. I'm very nature-oriented, so it's a nice reference.

Please continue to share your thoughts re both runes and ogham, Rachel, and have a great vacation!

GD the Crone in the desert

Bernice

Original question: I know there is a difference re history as I've read about each, but do you prefer one over the other and, if so, why?

Thanks for any opinions.
The history of the Ogham Tree Zodiac comes from a work of fiction in (approx.) the 1940s. Whereas the history of Runes (Elder Furthark) goes back through centuries of time. I much prefer the Runes because I find they have greater depth.

Having said that, any and every system for divination will work if it has appeal for you, and time & study will usually give good results.

Bee :)

greatdane

Hi Bee!

Thank you for your thoughts. I have been reading about both runes and ogham and have to admit, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how they've connected either to divination and exactly how either were used. So many of the academic books seem to say they don't really know exactly how either were used and there are many loop holes. When you say ogham tree zodiac was kind of invented in the last century, I would love to read your thoughts re ogham itself as an alphabet or communication system.

I suppose the validity in any system, like you said, is if it works for you, it works for you. I just really like knowing a bit behind the systems, so I keep reading. I DO enjoy finding out which system some ATers prefer and why though :)).

THANKS for sharing, Bee.

Many blessings on your week,

GD (who thinks her scandinavian roots were calling her to study the runes lol)

Bat Chicken

The history of the Ogham Tree Zodiac comes from a work of fiction in (approx.) the 1940s. Whereas the history of Runes (Elder Furthark) goes back through centuries of time. I much prefer the Runes because I find they have greater depth.

Having said that, any and every system for divination will work if it has appeal for you, and time & study will usually give good results.

Bee :)

The tree zodiac is not the same as Ogham, even though the Ogham have been used in the book to which you are referring. Ogham has many forms and the stones that bear their markings have been around since the Dark Ages - not the 1940's! There is significant academic research on the topic and a great study group here on AT that could clear up the confusion.

crystal dawn

I think thats its a bit harsh calling the celtic tree zodiac a work of fiction though. Surely we should be looking at whether a system works rather than looking for evidence of its historical use to validate whether we should use it or not. The celtic tree zodiac is another debate for another time maybe.

I have always found the oghams to have a gentler passive subtle type of energy than the runes. I love using runes too. The runes seem to have more of a dynamic, direct assertive type of energy about them.

blessing

crystal

crystal dawn

Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom Erynn Rowan Laurie

Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom
Erynn Rowan Laurie

Has anyone read this book, if so I would be interested to hear what people think of it, as its suppose to be creating great waves in the ogham world.

blessings

crystal