Runes and Ogham? Big Difference?

Penthasilia

Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom
Erynn Rowan Laurie

Has anyone read this book, if so I would be interested to hear what people think of it, as its suppose to be creating great waves in the ogham world.

blessings

crystal

It is one of the best books out there on ogham.

Ogham itself was not originally associated with the tree calendar- that came later with the book by Graves. Not that it isn't a powerful working in its own rite, but I find that Laurie's book is very good at looking at the original idea of what ogham was used for. She bases her work on the Auraicept na n-eces- which is one of the premier works interpreting the old documents on ogham.

As far as ogham versus runes- I use both. They are VERY different systems in practice, though the underlying idea is the same- a form of magical writing that can be used for both divinatory and magical practice. Both take a while to learn- if you really want to delve into the full magnitude of each.

crystal dawn

It is one of the best books out there on ogham.

Ogham itself was not originally associated with the tree calendar- that came later with the book by Graves. Not that it isn't a powerful working in its own rite, but I find that Laurie's book is very good at looking at the original idea of what ogham was used for. She bases her work on the Auraicept na n-eces- which is one of the premier works interpreting the old documents on ogham.

As far as ogham versus runes- I use both. They are VERY different systems in practice, though the underlying idea is the same- a form of magical writing that can be used for both divinatory and magical practice. Both take a while to learn- if you really want to delve into the full magnitude of each.

Hi Penthasilia
Can you tell me does Laurie mention the forfeda (additional 5 letters) in her book? I would be interested to know what her take on them is if she mentions them. The reason I ask is that I have been thinking about getting her book.

blessings

crystal

Penthasilia

Hi Penthasilia
Can you tell me does Laurie mention the forfeda (additional 5 letters) in her book? I would be interested to know what her take on them is if she mentions them. The reason I ask is that I have been thinking about getting her book.

blessings

crystal

Laurie's book does have a section on the forfeda- but in comparison to the other aicme, it is very short. But, since her book focuses on the etymology of ogham, it makes sense that there would not be as much information. But yes, she does mention them for completeness.

I would unhesitatingly recommend her book- of all the new (read that as available/not OOP) books on Ogham, I feel hers is the most accurate and encompassing of what the study entails.