Tarot Wisdom vs. 78 Degrees of Wisdom

Cassandra022

just wanted to say thanks again for the website recommendation. my book just came today...very quick delivery, perfect condition, and it looks quite interesting. i'm excited :]

Lela

Glad to hear all went well. Hope you enjoy the book. :D

callistoluna

Bearing in mind that Tarot Wisdom was written some 10 years or more after 78 degrees - Rachel is a brilliant author on the subject but the time that has elaped between the two books says to me that Tarot Wisdom would be more versatile (considering at the time that 78 was written, there were not that many tarot decks around...) Nowadays, it's a lot more mainstream and open.

Both books are great by the way...

Morwenna

A month and a half ago I scored both books on large discount from our local Borders branch that was closing. I started with 78 Degrees, and found it very good. I've just started reading Tarot Wisdom; I've gotten through the introductory chapters and the Fool chapter so far, and I'm enjoying it very much. I like the comprehensiveness and the increased detail. I think the books complement each other; if you're lucky enough to afford both, I'd suggest reading them in the order written. My copy of 78 Degrees, BTW, is the one-volume revised edition; I understand that when it first came out it was in two volumes.

Lunalyn

yes I agree Tarot Wisdom is very good. I'm up to the Court cards. I'm glad there's some detail about them because the court cards are a bit hard to understand.
I like the way Rachel Pollack has set it out with the Major cards, then the Minor cards - Ace - Ten, then the court cards.

its a very in depth book and will be good for consulting after I finish reading it.
lyn

Morwenna

Right now I'm bouncing around the Minors and Courts sections. I'm finding this book absolutely fascinating. I'm glad I read 78 Degrees first because it's the more basic. This one gives more angles and spins, applicability to more decks, an interesting look into her own deck, and all kinds of background stuff that many other authors merely touched on by comparison. I feel bad that I'm not working with any decks at the moment, but that's because I'm so engrossed in this book!