Straw hat debate

Huck

Rosanne said:
Regardless of nay-sayers, there seems some particular association with the Visconti/Sforza milan families and Straw Hats.
It was very odd to see a picture of Saint George, accepted as commissioned by Fillipo Visconti, Bianca's Father, with a large Straw Hat on his head. If anyone can point me to a similar painting of Saint George with a straw hat, I would be very pleased. So you have Visconti with a desire to have this portrayed- why? Then you have another Duke with a possible poor man's Straw hat on the table- a person who was literally poor, taking over from a wealthier Duke. It seems there is some connection.

pisa204.jpg

I think, there is some hesitation to accept, that it was made for Visconti ... also I'm not sure, if it's really a straw hat.
But it's easy to accept, that Pisanello shows generally exaggerated hats (as also others) in this time.

Ross showed this picture recently ...

speda2.jpg

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/d/domenico/bartolo/speda2.html
you can see the enlargement at the link location.

.. about the same time from Siena in a hospital scene. It's remarkable, that we have "only ONE exaggerated hat" in central position between many other more humble ways to protect the head.

It seems to say, that highest nobility used the rather exaggerated hats to dominate the scene, but the normal "real" hat market got its commissions from guilds, who were interested to show their profession in the hat form. And this clothing was determined (at least in this early time) by practical and functional viewing points.

We accept that hats and purses are symbolic of a profession on one hand, but do not on the other hand accept that this was a symbolic Hat, with another situation. Is every smile in an art work, a Mona Lisa smile?

I have not been able to confirm the tourist patter about the incident in Fermo, but why would this anecdote remain all these years?

As a lot of anecdotes remained and somehow often look a little bit unlikely ... :)
It's simply difficult to present a hypothesis too much depending on such anecdotes. If it's possible to show the plausibility of the anecdote content by arguments from more realistic perspectives, it becomes better for the hypothesis.

Then once again we have a comment about the Hat Straw in Milan in the siege, which cannot be confirmed(we have a historic account of the siege who had no interest in Tarot) ...

I thought, you've read this, so why it is not confirmable "as a researcher opinion"?

... , but we have a painting in 1445, that seems to indicate that Straw hats had some meaning. It could be taken as, rather than a magician, this card represented a soldier who had hung up his Hat, or that
it indicated the change of Dukes.

There is a history of straw hats indicating debt- from the parades on Saint John the Baptist feast day.
Well, that sounds interesting ... as it somehow might relate to Sforza's debts in 1438 and also Sforza's debts in 1452.

I cannot tie these in together with a magician- but really I am not interested in that. The man wears red- indicating lowly status- except when a Cardinal wears it.

I think, that the color red was expensive. The many red hats in Florence surely don't indicate, that these people all were poor.
I think, that the Magician card lives just from this contrast, a noble red clothing (indicating a rich person), but a worn straw hat at the table (indicating person with debts).

In Meisner's Karnöffel poem from c. 1450 the Karnöffel robs another person and takes his clothes. One result of such an activity would be a ...

d02046j01.jpg

... a man more or less without clothes ...

d0204601.jpg

... and another a man with "stolen" clothes, noble dressed, but with some indication, that it is a robber (for instance: the straw hat).

Well, it's a natural result of some gambling, something which often appeared during card games, at least in metaphorical meaning.

The game of 1452 (a 5x14-game according a specific well-known theory) had been plausibly descended from the Imperatori cards and the Karnöffel game (also called Keyser="Imperatori" Spiel). So the figures in the deck of 1452 have a natural relationship to these older variants.

The Karnöffel game itself developed from another natural relationship to the chess game.
Since the writing of Cessolis (1300) the both pawns before the rooks had gotten the iconography of a bad clothed farmer (who often looked a little foolish) and a messenger/player figure with 3 dice in his hands - this one was clothed in the way of a noble men.
The rooks were the strongest figures in the early way to play chess - with a weak Queen figure and a weak bishop. As this were the "highest trumps", it was logical to place the "lowest trumps" before them

Another prototype, which developed, were the "two servants", which appeared in early theater plays - they were used to provoke funny elements inside the plays. Comedies were preferred.

So all this had in its basis line already an old tradition. The straw hat might have been a new element, a new interpretation.

Rosanne

In regards to the painting of Saint Anthony the Abbot/Hermit and Saint George in the Straw Hat, it is interesting to note that on the Feast day of Saint Anthony, blessed bread is given to the people- not Communion, but loaves of bread.
This practice has been traced back to Ferrera, and at Mass the congregation calls out "sant'Andùon', sant'Andùon', pigli't 'o viecch' e damm 'o nuovo"
(St. Anthony, St. Anthony, take the old and give me the new) and Saint George is the Patron Saint of Ferrara.
http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgu...csQOO9qHZCw&page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

I find this one step away from coincidence. Perhaps even magical.
~Rosanne

Rosanne

We crossed posts Huck. I had not read yours.
I will confirm Bread and Siege when I have exact book, ISBN Number and certain author. My having read it, will not satisfy some. It is a straw hat apparently, after struggling with Italian translation (St George) I confirm.
Great post I am digesting it.

here is a short description of the Painting in English.
http://www.stgeorgesdayproject.org.uk/index.php?category_id=50

Huck

Rosanne said:
We crossed posts Huck. I had not read yours.
I will confirm Bread and Siege when I have exact book, ISBN Number and certain author. My having read it, will not satisfy some. It is a straw hat apparently, after struggling with Italian translation (St George) I confirm.
Great post I am digesting it.

here is a short description of the Painting in English.
http://www.stgeorgesdayproject.org.uk/index.php?category_id=50

Well, the "straw hat"-theory is your babe, so you have to care for it ... .-) Naturally others will not accept "I've read it" and it will look "bad researched" for them. ... .-) ... it doesn't matter, what I think of it.

Huck

300px-Pisanello_016.jpg

este.jpg

Two pictures painted in Ferrara by Pisanello

AntonioPisanello-Virgin-and-Child-with-St-George-and-St-Anthony-Abbot-1490.jpg

All 3 pictures have it, that the back of the head seems to be a little not naturally enlarged.

I don't know about the researches, which give the picture as a commission of Filippo Maria Visconti, but Ferrara would seem to be a place, where it might have been made.

If, as you say ... "This practice has been traced back to Ferrera, and at Mass the congregation calls out "sant'Andùon', sant'Andùon', pigli't 'o viecch' e damm 'o nuovo" (St. Anthony, St. Anthony, take the old and give me the new) and Saint George is the Patron Saint of Ferrara ... there are some further indications for Ferrara, this seems to be an alternative to the Visconti-attribution.

spaceball.gif

This picture from Verona looks similar with its concentration on the back of the head, but not all portraits of Pisanello focus this feature.

Rosanne

Huck said:
AntonioPisanello-Virgin-and-Child-with-St-George-and-St-Anthony-Abbot-1490.jpg

I don't know about the researches, which give the picture as a commission of Filippo Maria Visconti, but Ferrara would seem to be a place, where it might have been made.

If, as you say ... "This practice has been traced back to Ferrera, and at Mass the congregation calls out "sant'Andùon', sant'Andùon', pigli't 'o viecch' e damm 'o nuovo" (St. Anthony, St. Anthony, take the old and give me the new) and Saint George is the Patron Saint of Ferrara ... there are some further indications for Ferrara, this seems to be an alternative to the Visconti-attribution.
I have looked at every possible research about this Painting- and all but one say the Patron who ordered it was Visconti.

It would seem likely as the Condoiterre who formed the League or Fratelli/Confraternity or Company of Saint George was Ambrogio Visconti.
The first mercenary company with an Italian condottiero as its chief was the "Company of St. George" formed in 1339 and led by Lodrisio Visconti. This company was defeated and destroyed by Luchino Visconti of Milan (another condottiero and Uncle of Lodrisio) in April 1339. Later, in 1377, a second "Company of St. George" was formed under the leadership of Alberico da Barbiano, also an Italian and the Count of Conio, who later taught military science to condottieri such as Braccio da Montone and Giacomuzzo Attendolo Sforza, who also served in the company.

By that time, the campaigning condottieri companies were as much Italian as foreign: the Astorre I Manfredi’s Compagnia della Stella (Star Company); a new Company of St. George under Ambrogio Visconti; Niccolò da Montefeltro’s Compagnia del Cappelletto (Little Hat Company); and the Compagnia della Rosa, commanded by Giovanni da Buscareto and Bartolomeo Gonzaga.

Sforza was unlike his predessors in the Company Of Saint George. He was considered a superb tactician, disciplined soldier, constantly concerned with the welfare of his troops and not a rapacious looter and decimater of the countryside. His rule as Commander and Chief and Duke of Milan was a new type of Straw Hat. He was for the people and of the people (by his marriage as well). I think the straw hat may well indicate this.
~Rosanne

kwaw

Playing Card of Man of Coat of Arms by Master E.S. c. 1465

PlayingCardMasterES.jpg

What is that on his back? Seems to be connected to the long draping scarf.

Rosanne

There is something we are missing about this %#@&*! Hat.
It has some meaning.
Maybe it is debt, I do not know and it is brassing me off.

~Rosanne

Rosanne

After speed reading and head banging......I think I have the measure of the Straw Hat. I was helped by the last engraving posted by Kwaw called Man of Coat of Arms with the straw hat on his back.

The Straw hat may be considered a Bongrace or Bond-grace- a brimmed straw hat. It is the symbol of a vassal. Vassals were gangs of freemen who voluntarily subjected themselves, in some varying degree of formality, to the authority of a leader, from whose distribution of loot they could expect to be fed, clothed and armed. The quality of a vassal was only in his fighting ability and the strength of his loyalty. (Rouche 1987 ) It is not unlike a young knight.

I am a freeman by the good grace (Bon Grace) of a Lord. They were usually without land and belonged to confraternities- and they took off their hat (usually leaving on the caul) to show that they would be paid for giving service. They also held them against their chest as a sign of having not been paid. It seems somewhat like the subservience shown to a boss in Victorian times, and earlier, when the staff would take off their hat and hold it over their chest. It had much older symbolism apparently- right back to Roman times.
So The Visconti Magician may be saying- I am now a freeman and my only Lord is The Lord (God) or as I have always thought... I am owed something.
The term BonGrace for the straw hat became obsolete by the end of the 16th Century, although not for a woman's hat of the same name- which meant shaded from the Sun or as we would say "under the umbrella of"so it had a similar connotation .

The Coat of Arms Man is a vassal of whoever that shield belongs to.

My brain is sore.
~Rosanne