Questions for the Professional Tarot Card Reader

Gloria Jean

I don't get to do many professional readings because I live in a small town. Many of the citizens frown on the occult and fear the tarot as an occult practice.

I have recently created a larger version of my Infinite Visions Tarot deck that is 2.75" X 4.5" This is the size I will use when doing professional readings in person.

As a professional tarot reader, what do you look for in a tarot deck?

Are professional readers also tarot deck collectors, or do they just purchase decks that they want to use in their business?

Do you prefer larger cards or small poker sized cards for doing professional readings?

214red

i use the ones i like on that day, i have about 3 main decks, i then have a back up copy or two because they get damaged especially doing professional readings.
I am not a collector, i use them as a tool like a pen, so i use which one feels right

Apollonia

Really, my only criterion is that the deck has to give me good clear information without having to study each card forever. I only offer two decks to choose from, and those are the ones that have proven the most consistently readable for others over the years. And I, too have a backup for each one.

I have several decks I love and keep for their beauty, but that is not a consideration for me when reading for others.

Silver Crow

Readable for me is first and foremost. That is subjective though, what is very readable for me, Revelations for example, may not be for someone else.

I try to keep my decks for public readings limited to not too much nudity or blood. As much as I love reading with some of my decks when working on the phone, I won't use them for public readings.

Size doesn't matter so much but I do like them large enough to show the cards details, but not too big to handle or shuffle easily. This is after trimming because most decks I use are trimmed to make working with them easier as in size and removing distracting borders.

When I have done public readings in the past, I will spread the decks in a semi-circle on the table with the fool card up and ask the client to choose from one of the decks that appeals to them. I tend to offer at least five different decks, sometimes more, right now I have ten decks on my table and choose which ever one feels like for each caller.

One other thing, I may choose a different deck for each question that changes subject completely, that way I know I'm not picking up on the former issue any longer, but that's just me.

Grizabella

Smaller, poker sized decks for me. I've got a few that are small and I can use them easily but so many are too big. Those are fine for collectors of Tarot art, I think, but so many of us have to trim down beautiful decks in order to shuffle them and I think that's a real shame.

starrystarrynight

For reading "out in public", I like the smaller ones. They fit my hands better, are easier for me to shuffle, are more "tote-able", and they don't take up as much space on the table if I'm reading at, say, a coffee shop or diner.

Actually, come to think of it, while I have the large Thoth and the large RWS (and some other pretty big decks, too), I rarely use them even at home or at a venue where big tables are available or may be provided. I can't shuffle them easily, so I figure, who needs that? :)

Another thing...and people here may slap me :p...but I don't offer sitters a choice of decks, either. I use what I'm comfortable reading with at the moment. I figure that it's my tool and the sitter who's after a good reading shouldn't care what tool I use. If I went to a concert hall to see a famous pianist, I wouldn't care whether he was playing a Steinway or a Yamaha or an Estonia...I would only care how he played it...so...yeah.

Mellaenn

For public readings I prefer smaller cards that are pliable and easy to shuffle. I shuffle them and so does the client, so the deck I choose must be easy for anyone to handle.

I do acquire lots of tarot decks just for their looks or for personal meditations. They are of all sizes. I carry a few standards and will occasionally grab an extra that I think might "match" the venue, e.g., Bohemian Gothic around Halloween, etc.

Sinduction

Jenny_writer said:
As a professional tarot reader, what do you look for in a tarot deck?
For my face to face readings it depends on a lot of different things. I prefer "lighter" decks when I read for young people or people that are a bit uneasy with tarot. When I read at my usual venue, which is a goth club, I prefer the more darker decks. For regular readings I prefer decks that don't have a lot of gore or nudity. Over the phone or net I use whichever deck that happens to call to me at that moment.

Are professional readers also tarot deck collectors, or do they just purchase decks that they want to use in their business?
I'm a bit picky with my collection. I don't just buy decks to use with others. I have decks that are just for me or decks that I like the look of. I don't just buy decks to have them. But when I am debating a purchase I do consider whether I could use it with clients.

Do you prefer larger cards or small poker sized cards for doing professional readings?
I really dislike small cards for some reason but I also don't like them too big. I think 3x5 is the perfect size for me. But card size rarely factors into whether I will buy or use a deck I'm more about the artwork.

ETA: I don't give my clients a choice in deck either. Well, for one I do because I know she prefers a certain deck, but the deck is also one of my most used anyways. Wait. For most of my regulars I will use their favorite if they've told me the prefer one to another. Most of them want to see whatever the new one is. I also don't have mine displayed for all to see. I'm too paranoid that someone would steal them.

Grizabella

starrystarrynight said:
Another thing...and people here may slap me :p...but I don't offer sitters a choice of decks, either. I use what I'm comfortable reading with at the moment. I figure that it's my tool and the sitter who's after a good reading shouldn't care what tool I use. If I went to a concert hall to see a famous pianist, I wouldn't care whether he was playing a Steinway or a Yamaha or an Estonia...I would only care how he played it...so...yeah.

I'm with starry on this one. I don't offer a choice of decks. To me, offering a choice is more about "look at all the decks I can read with since I'm so good." than about giving a good reading. Not saying that's what other people are about who offer the choice, but just saying that's how I'd feel if I did. :) I feel like I give the best readings with whatever deck I'm comfortable with at the time.

I also like the smaller decks because if a sitter who isn't familiar with the odd sizes of Tarot decks shuffles, they're more inclined to harm an odd-sized larger deck than a smaller, more poker sized deck or even smaller.

Baroli

Well, since I don't shuffle, cut, or pick the cards for the querent, what are comfortable in my hands really is irrelevent. I will use either my Morgan Greer or a Rider-Waite, or a Marseilles or a Thoth or all of them. If I offer a choice of cards, it's not because "ooooh I am so good and here is what I can read with,", it's to offer choice. And sometimes, just sometimes and depending on how long the session is, (if I am doing speed Tarot, obviously this ain't gonna work ;) ), I will start with one deck then with another, overlay the same cards from a different deck to get a layering, or even have the client shuffle up, cut and deal from another to see what else is going on. Just depends on the situation. I will also take with me an oracle deck or two as well.