(My) New Online Tarot Program

Macavity

Dunno - Comes more under the heading of published material? It's an idea tho' :)

Fwiw, I do have a source of (ostensibly) public domain "meanings" that were published on alt.tarot some time ago. Also, some folk recycle the poor old Rider Waite images in hideous(!) colors under the GNU document license... Hmmm. Poor old PCS rolls in her pauper's grave? :(

I've added (my concept anyway!) of a "horseshoe" spread :laugh: and some others...

Macavity

P.S. You can click on the lil' number boxes to get the spread meanings (I'm not sure of the best way to do those yet!) - But they're not complete either - Heheh :D

firemaiden

Hey le grand chat mystérieux, that's fantastic, I really like the new spreads. Gosh, its coming along, isn't it. Now I want the position meanings too. Golly jeepers, so demanding, aren't I ?

jlbvt

It's just the vowels that are replaced with x's. Not so hard to read, really. Sort of like a new take on pig latin! :joke: Anyway, is that going to be fixed? I love the program.

Faerie Lin

I love the program too! What a great job you've done.

But now I wish that deck really came in that tone. I would buy it! :D

Macavity

OK people, I've managed to find some "meanings" that featured on alt.pagan etc. in the mid 90's, due to one Baird Stafford. These would appear to have been released into the Public Domain. They were intended broadly for the RWS deck and they seem to be rather good too. So now, at least the potential for (me) being busted for copyright violation by U.S. Games is rather lessened :laugh: I have just uploaded them to replace the "X-ed" ones...

Have Fun,

Macavity

Juccota

Nice piece of software there, looks great too.

What language did you use to write the program?

Macavity

New Version of Program

A new version of my program has now been uploaded. :)

http://website.lineone.net/~jhcr/WebTarot/index.htm (as before)

I believe this overcomes the (perhaps?) problems some may have experienced recently with the program getting "out of synch" when used e.g. on a slower/dialup link. (It probably still HELPS to treat it "gently" i.e. to WAIT until the thing has finished loading all the card images, before pushing random buttons!) But, as more and more images are cached, you should see the program speed-up notably ;)

I took the opportunity to update/tidy the code to work under DOM/CSS2 (i.e. most modern browsers) and have tested it on a number of other browsers. I "know" it e.g. works on IE 6+ (WinME); NS 6+; Opera 6+; and Konqueror 3+ (linux).

The program now includes (new THIS time)...

Two (colour!) Decks (RWS and Crowley-Thoth)
Dealing Reversals on request...
Option for "Majors Only" / All Cards

A brief(!) summary of the function of the display "flags" in now included on the introductory page. Note you can e.g. choose either to display the cards reversed, or simply "flag" them with an arrow, leaving the card upright to aid in recognising awkward Thoth minor reversals! :laugh:

Have Fun :D

Macavity

dadsnook2000

Your tarot spread software hits the internet

Someone on the Comparative Tarot list has found your software and is confused about it. I'll note for them that this is a new program being created and that they are likely to see more of it in the future. By the way, it is looking really good. Dave.

Macavity

Fair enough. Thanks Dave - and for assistance in respect thereof! I had noticed I was getting some "hits" from that direction. Reminds me to let folks know that the blob at the bottom left is a simple site "stats" monitor and doesn't tell me THAT much useful about you :laugh: - It DOES (sometimes) tell me what browser you are using, which is a help with the development. I should, in fairness, advise folk who use Win95 and Netscape 3 (sic) that it... simply won't (ever) work.

I anticipate I will next e.g try to "cookie-fy" the thing, so that it retains personal settings for the display. I'm still undecided about "spread notes". I'ver certainly dismissed the idea of maintaining a file for EVERY position in a spread. One page per spread should do?!? I think I only remember about ONE useful word at most, so apologies for the reams of "pig latin". })

On the distribution, one scheme I have in mind is to give out a small file in a directory which acts as the "prime mover" alongside YOUR divinatory/spread notes etc. The "program bits" are then automatically downloaded and cached on (sometime) visits online and are "always" up to date. The user is then responsible for how they choose to edit/maintain their notes in the directory. The sharp eyed will already have noticed e.g. on Windoze/IE the "program" keeps running on it's internal cache of images after disconnection from the internet. We'll have to see how well this works in practice... ;)

Macavity