New Book from Bob Place

leo_hendry

I got an email from Bob Place, and was informed his latest book(The Fool’s Journey: The History, Art, and Symbolism of the Tarot) was finally in print.

Here is the details:
The Fool’s Journey: The History, Art, and Symbolism of the Tarot,
the 8.5" by 11' full color book that I have been working on since January, is finally in print.

This Book, based on the exhibition that I curated for The Los Angeles Craft and Folk Art Museum, January to May, 2010, is one of the best resources for understanding the Tarot’s mystical symbolism. It includes an up to date history with my latest theories on the origin and meaning of the Tarot trumps as they relate to Renaissance art and mysticism and includes color illustrations of the Fool and 21 trumps from key works from the Tarot’s over 500 year history with comparative illustrations from the Renaissance, from alchemical texts, from ancient Egypt, and from occult sources.

The Fool’s Journey, the 2010 Tarot exhibition at the LA Craft and Folk Art Museum drew record attendance and was praised in the LA Times. The book includes color illustrations from the hand-painted 15th century Visconti-Sforza Tarot, from the earliest Italian printed deck, the oldest Tarot of Marseille, The first occult reference to the Tarot, the first occult Tarot, the first modern popular Tarot, the first New Age Tarot, and examples from popular modern designers including works by Paulina Cassidy (the Paulina Tarot), Chatriya Hemharnvibul (the Fenestra Tarot) , Evan Lee (the Twilight Tarot), Ciro Marchetti (the Legacy Tarot), Thalia Took (the Alphabet Tarot), and Patrick Valenza (the Deviant Moon Tarot). It also includes all of the trumps from my Annotated Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery, a deck that I completed for the exhibition, and all of the trumps from my Alchemical Tarot, with an extensive discussion of their alchemical symbolism.

By comparing Tarot decks from every century, from the 14th to the 21st, the mystical theme that is expressed in the cards is illuminated, and the evolution of its symbolism can be studied. The Fool’s Journey is designed to bring appreciation of the Tarot and its mystical tradition to a wide audience. It is also designed to replace false notions about the Tarot with real history and insight. It views the Tarot as a visual conversation between artists, mystics, and occultists that has been ongoing for over 500 years. This is an essential resource for anyone interested in the meaning of the Tarot cards.
Right now it is $47.50 but the price may go up when the book goes to the wholesale market.

To see more go to my web site:

http://thealchemicalegg.com/The-Fools-Journey.html

To order go to my page on Lulu:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...he-history-art-symbolism-of-the-tarot/9015699

Le Fanu

Interesting! great news! A must have! Under any other circumstances I'd be a bit sniffy about someone including a detailed analysis of their own deck (i.e the Alchemical) in a book about the History of tarot but it really makes sense for him, with the Alchemical book being OOP and so hard to find. For those who love the Alchemical and haven't read the book, this will be a great alternative.

$47, but it says "may change when it goes wholesale." Im sure it will.

I'm definitely getting this.

(remind me again, The Twilight? Why can't I picture it? Not Sweet Twilight, is it...?)

gregory

Le Fanu said:
(remind me again, The Twilight? Why can't I picture it? Not Sweet Twilight, is it...?)
Doubt it - that's by Cristina Benintende.

I suspect he means one by Evan YI (not Lee) Feng. He did the Lunatic; I haven't actually seen another by Feng, but I note it is also mentioned on Corinne Kenner's blog by that name. I wonder if they actually meant the Lunatic....

Greg Stanton

I saw the exhibit when it was here in LA — fantastic. I'm definitely getting this.

RexMalaki

I'm getting $57.50. It seems lulu is charging for a download and I can't remove this fee.

ETA: I'm goofy. It's $47.50 now. Had to click the red X...

Asher

I got the pdf download and put it on my iPad. It looks quite nice there, full color and all. Hope to get into it this evening, but today was our first day of school with kids, and I'm rather fried!

But looking at all the pretty pictures will be a good way to relax.

Asher

Cerulean

A link and sample pages

http://thealchemicalegg.com/The-Fools-Journey.html

I did buy a few copies, one pdf file that I downloaded yesterday evening from Lulu. My printed copy will be shipped to me sometime soon...

Some of the pictures have a three-dimensional feel to me, the quality of the scans look really good to me right now.

The Twilight Tarot seems to be an alternative name for the Lunatic--I didn't know it had another name.

Best,

Cerulean

sapienza

Very exciting.

Silver Crow

I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

MareSaturni

I like the look of it... but I'll buy it when the price drops a bit. LOL! I know it's colorful and all, but I spent a lot of money already on Bob Place's stuff :p