Rune book recommendations?

Carla

IheartTarot said:
Keep the blank rune in case you lose or damage one.

Oh, I'll take my chances. For some reason the blank one is misshapen and a different colour from the rest. Clearly not meant to be! ;)

faunabay

I found a new book...to me...at Borders Books and really like it. It gives a pretty good synopsis for the Norse mythology the runes are supposedly based on, plus really good information for making your own rune set! And the explanation for each rune is extremely good without being overwhelming.

It gives you a good basic explanation plus different correspondences like: Deity, tree, plant, animal, element, etc.

It's a bit more expensive than others listed here (it's hardback) but I had a 40% off coupon so bought it. And I'm extremely happy with it so far.

The Book of Runes by Francis Melville

IheartTarot

lark said:
I think it is more of a summery, but there is also added info that my book doesn't have, so well worth printing out.

There is a bio page on Jennifer Smith in her Tara Hill Designs website, last updated in April 2002, where she says:

"I am still working on an expanded version of 'Raido, the Runic Journey' - in fact, it's pretty much finished, but as I suffer from 'publication anxiety', there's no telling when I might get up the nerve to take it into a real publisher."

http://www.tarahill.com/runesmith/bio.html

The version I linked is dated December 2003, so it could be the latest expanded version. Cool :D

lark

IheartTarot said:
There is a bio page on Jennifer Smith in her Tara Hill Designs website, last updated in April 2002, where she says:

"I am still working on an expanded version of 'Raido, the Runic Journey' - in fact, it's pretty much finished, but as I suffer from 'publication anxiety', there's no telling when I might get up the nerve to take it into a real publisher."

http://www.tarahill.com/runesmith/bio.html

The version I linked is dated December 2003, so it could be the latest expanded version. Cool :D
That makes sense.
The book has gone through many printings...my book is from June 2002.
So cool..then that is the latest info.

rachelcat

faunabay said:
I found a new book...to me...at Borders Books and really like it. It gives a pretty good synopsis for the Norse mythology the runes are supposedly based on, plus really good information for making your own rune set! And the explanation for each rune is extremely good without being overwhelming.

It gives you a good basic explanation plus different correspondences like: Deity, tree, plant, animal, element, etc.

It's a bit more expensive than others listed here (it's hardback) but I had a 40% off coupon so bought it. And I'm extremely happy with it so far.

The Book of Runes by Francis Melville
THIS is the enabling book! I was all ready to make my own runes on slips of wood when my husband gave me this book. All crafty plans went out the window because once I saw them in this book, I HAD TO HAVE clear quartz runes! And now I do. And I love them.

I agree that this is a good intro book with lots of interesting correspondences. And it's pretty! And enabling!

faunabay

rachelcat said:
THIS is the enabling book! I was all ready to make my own runes on slips of wood when my husband gave me this book. All crafty plans went out the window because once I saw them in this book, I HAD TO HAVE clear quartz runes! And now I do. And I love them.

I agree that this is a good intro book with lots of interesting correspondences. And it's pretty! And enabling!
It's got me thinking about doing wooden rune set made out of maple. Maple is MY tree.....we connect on a lot of levels. I think it would make an amazingly personal rune set for me to do this.

I've got a silver maple in my front yard right now, but the first maple I connected with was a red. So that's what I'm leaning towards even though the silver would be much easier to come by. LOL

This book has made me very excited to make my own set!

IheartTarot

My tiny Lisa Peschel book arrived from Book Depository today....AND my very first set of runes. I am thrilled to bits with them :D

See pics in ebay listing attached, I chose Olive Ash wood. They are a bit bigger than I expected, about twice the size of a scrabble block. There is a blank rune included which I will keep as a spare and a bind rune with my initials, does anyone know what I should use it for? I definitely recommend this ebay seller for wooden runes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180570565038&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

cardlady22

Read up on the runes the initials are and see what kind of "theme" comes up for your Personal Talisman.

IheartTarot

cardlady22 said:
Read up on the runes the initials are and see what kind of "theme" comes up for your Personal Talisman.

Thanks cardlady, he made me a laminated card explaining it but I am still not sure what to use it for (magic?). You don't have to answer, I know I can look it up in a book :D

WyrdRaven

I would definitely start with Sweyn Plowright's Rune Primer. That is a great foundation on which to build.