Rune book recommendations?

amethyst57

great recommendations...could use a more informative book, too...
with my 'beginner' set, i got this 2" x 2" book...
reminds me of the books we made for our troll dolls when we young, LOL

silverwings94

I checked out the ebay listing .Who was the seller of the runes that you purchased? I saw some really interesting runes here. Thanks for the link.
IheartTarot said:
My tiny Lisa Peschel book arrived from Book Depository today....AND my very first set of runes. I am thrilled to bits with them :D

See pics in ebay listing attached, I chose Olive Ash wood. They are a bit bigger than I expected, about twice the size of a scrabble block. There is a blank rune included which I will keep as a spare and a bind rune with my initials, does anyone know what I should use it for? I definitely recommend this ebay seller for wooden runes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180570565038&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

IheartTarot

silverwings94 said:
I checked out the ebay listing .Who was the seller of the runes that you purchased? I saw some really interesting runes here. Thanks for the link.

Oh No! That link to his shop doesn't work anymore. :(

I went to look via my ebay transactions and see he has no items for sale at the moment. :( This is his direct seller link (seller name magic-all).

His name is Andy and he lives in the UK. I recommend him highly. I have bought two sets from him, in olive ash wood and sycamore wood. I don't think that these runes (rectangular not round and quite large blocks) are all that suitable for scatter casts though.

Pagan X

WyrdRaven said:
I would definitely start with Sweyn Plowright's Rune Primer. That is a great foundation on which to build.

I second this recommendation. His book is the most historically grounded and gives useful orientation to the rest of the rune literature.

Most rune books are twentieth century fantasy -- or, shall we say, received and inspired wisdom that came through in the twentieth century. I'm particularly mindful of the German nationalist inventions of the late nineteenth cent and early twentieth; Rune Yoga, for example, is such an invention of "reclaiming" Aryan spiritual practices...not a good current.

NikkiB

thanks! I forgot to bookmark this so didnt see the new replies, I will have a look at this book on amazon.. :)