Dover "Art of the Tarot" with 10 different decks

Laura Borealis

rwcarter said:
That image isn't identified in the book. The book says it contains images from 10 decks and the Majors from the Tarocco Italiano, when it actually contains images from 10 decks, the Majors from the Italiano and the design you link to above.

I found that same image, with the pyramid layout, on this page:
http://www.green-door.narod.ru/halltarot.html

But I can't read what it says about it.

ETA: Google Translation came up with this:

# Above - trumps J. Augustus Knapp: left - with watercolor illustrations "alignment Great Arcana" to "Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Kabbalistic, and Rosicrucian symbolic philosophy Manly P. Hall (San Francisco, 1928)

Click on left photo to see a figure Fool without imposing on him cards (illustration from the book Papus Wirth 1889). Note: 1) Fool's eyes are not tied, and 2) the animal, biting his leg, looks more like a cat than a dog.

ETA: So going from that, I'm willing to bet it's a reproduction of an illustration done by J. Augustus Knapp for Manly P. Hall's Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Kabbalistic, and Rosicrucian Symbolic Philosophy. See selected color plates from the book here, including the pyramid layout: http://prs.org/wpcms/?page_id=8&category=33

My Google-fu is strong today, apparently.

rwcarter

laura_borealis said:
My Google-fu is strong today, apparently.
Quite strong, indeed! I bow to you, Google-fu Master!

It's still strange that Dover didn't identify the image or provide a source for it in the book....

Rodney

Laura Borealis

I have this now. :) Happy!

As y'all probably know, the book shows a selection from each deck, and the CD contains all the cards. They're in two different formats on the CD. Or rather, they are all jpg format, but one is web resolution (72 dpi) and the other is a higher resolution for printing (300 dpi). A few cards are provided in two different sizes, as well -- I suppose so people who're using them for crafting have two sizes to choose from.

The Le Fou poster will print at 9.307 x 13.860 inches, using the high-resolution version. I'm wondering if that's the size of the original from the Manly P. Hall book. The description here indicates that some of the color plates were folded. I love old books like that, with the tipped-in color plates. And wouldn't that book be a treat to own? But I digress.

The decks are as Cerulean listed them.

Le Minchiate Fiorentine -- I think these are the same as the Lo Scarabeo version here, though the Dover colors look a touch more muted on my screen.

Tarocco Italiano -- majors only. These look like the Il Meneghello reprint; see here.

Classic Tarot -- the Soprafino, looking like Lo Scarabeo's (without keywords!) but again, Dover's looks a touch more muted in color to me. I don't have a printer at home currently (such an inconvenience) so I can't check to see how they print. Of course one could always up the saturation if wanted, or work with the color balance in a graphics program.

Having these two decks together will let us easily compare the finer Dellarocca engravings with the later Dotti ones as described in this thread.

I Tarocchi Dei Visconti -- in all their crusty glory. I'm going to stop linking to all these... I think we all know what the Visconti cards look like. Dover's version is reasonably bright. And it's neat to be able to zoom in and ponder the gunky stuff on them.

Waite-Smith -- I'm not up on my Pamela ABCs, but the Sun looks like the one from Pam A to me. The colors are much richer and deeper, though. Pamela-lettered titles, and no US Games copyright! :D

I Tarocchi Del Mantegna -- These are uncolored, black outlines on a cream background with gold/light brown mottling. I'm not sure if the paper is lightly marbled or if the book pages were foxed -- I'm betting on the latter.

Knapp-Hall -- I've never really seen this deck so it's cool that it's included! Unfortunately the pics look a little blurred to me... maybe they will print out better than I think they will.

Il Tarocco Di Besançon -- le pendu showed Le Diable from this deck here (the one on the left). Dover's is much brighter and paler on my screen. I'm not very familiar with this deck, but it's one of the early versions with Juno and Jupiter in place of the Papess and Pope. I'm loving the furry Devil legs and the grinning minion.

Ancient Tarot of Lombardy -- another one that Lo Scarabeo has printed, you can see them here and once again, the Dover versions look much lighter to me. These are lovely and delicate-looking.

Bolognese Tarot -- see here; again Dover's look lighter and more muted.

Gumppenberg Tarot -- one example here. Il Meneghello did a limited run printing in 1995.

If anyone wants to see specific card examples, let me know and I can post 'em. If you're wondering whether to get this book/cd I'd say YES do it... you get so much! It's totally worth it. Of course there is the usual Dover limit on use. This page describes their terms well. (But Cerulean said in her initial post, discussion of use should go in other forums.)

Le Fanu

Maybe this has been answered further up, but do you get all cards from the decks?

By the way, r.e the Knapp Hall. I have an original and it isn't what you'd call sharply printed...

rwcarter

Yes, Le Fanu, you get large and small scans of each of the cards in the decks, except for the one deck that's Majors-only and then you only get 22 (x2) images.

Le Fanu

Thanks.. Great for printing off as business cards with a contact number on the back.

Le Fanu

Well mine arrived today. The book is a bit more pamphlet-y than I imagined. It has very few pages, but the cards are all on the CD-rom. I think the historic ones are taken from Meneghello reprints.

One thing I'm not sure about. In the introduction it says it has "two different folders. All of the high resolution JPEG files have been placed in one folder and all the internet-ready JPEG files can be found in the other."

Why? Why would I need two different folders?

I'm not sure quite what to do with these images (after having put the Minchiate Capricorn on my desktop). I have all these as decks ("seldom seen images" it says on the back. They're not that hard to find if you set your mind to it).

I think they'd be great a business cards...

rwcarter

Le Fanu said:
Why? Why would I need two different folders?
Well, I guess there are two ways to arrange the pics - a folder of the same size images with subfolders for the individual decks or folders for each deck with subfolders of each size of image. I'm guessing Dover went with the former because it made more sense to them.

Le Fanu

It's the diference between "high resolution JPEG" and then, distinct from this, "Internet- ready" JPEG. What exactly is "internet-ready"?

rwcarter

Le Fanu said:
It's the diference between "high resolution JPEG" and then, distinct from this, "Internet- ready" JPEG. What exactly is "internet-ready"?
internet-ready means 640x480 resolution, which is also known as the high web resolution. When uploading pics to Aeclectic, we're limited to 640x480 resolution if memory serves. While that resolution is fine when looking at the computer screen, it sucks for printing out the image or enlarging it for other uses.