Palmistry study group : Hand shapes

isthmus nekoi

Oh wow, thanks for the explanation, Dark Eyes :) Just to clarify, I didn't post to suggest that what Alissa wrote was wrong, only to suggest another possible ah.. manifestation of the faint lines! Apologies if I came off as correcting her.

I actually took another look at my sister's hand and her life line is very straight and long. Also, her mound of Venus (the base of thumb?) isn't really that flat. Yes, I'd say she likes to recharge frequently - but sometimes this isn't a good thing. She always falls asleep watching movies! :p

Alissa

isthmus nekoi said:
Just to clarify, I didn't post to suggest that what Alissa wrote was wrong, only to suggest another possible ah.. manifestation of the faint lines! Apologies if I came off as correcting her.
But... but... I'm *often* wrong in life. I've noticed that thus far ;).

I encourage as many views and readings as possible from *everyone*, regardless of experience in palmistry, who finds the study group of interest. I don't want to stand as the "rule" of palmistry. I like to present standard "meanings", and a few practical palmistry reading techniques, along with my own tweaky interpretations thrown in just to get the study group talking.

And I'm glad to see we're really talking! :D

Dark Eyes

Hi Alissa,
But... but... I'm *often* wrong in life. I've noticed that thus far
So far, all that you have written up has been very accurate as far as I'm concerned. I didn't detect any challenge to what you've posted at all, unless I have missed something !
Isthmus, it is great that you are communicating in this thread, as Alissa said ... we need this type of conversation, it helps us all. I didn't feel that you came off correcting Alissa at all, and I only posted my opinion so that you could get another angle on the answer to your question.We all have our own different approaches and there is no right way, it is what works for the reader and client. You are very correct in throwing us a question regarding something different or unusual, that is what this is about ! Keep them coming!!
Your sister must be an amazing person, and if you have any more questions for Alissa or me, or anybody else who reads palms for that matter, please just send them right on in.
Alissa has done a fab job here with her threads on Palmistry, I am sure you will agree, her knowlege and approach are fantastic. I learn something from every post I read from Alissa.
I would love Alissa to read my palm, I know what I see, but I am sure I am a little biased to what I want to see.
Unfortunately, we live too far apart, but never mind, in time I am sure we will cover any areas that I am wondering about on my own palm.
Isthmus, great to have you on this thread, I hope we hear from many more interested parties as time goes on...THE MORE THE MERRIER
thats what they say !!
bye for now, with greatest encouragement to all
Dark eyes. :)

Alissa

Dark Eyes said:
I would love Alissa to read my palm, I know what I see, but I am sure I am a little biased to what I want to see.
Oh Boy, me too! Let's trade palm readings someday ok?? ;) I'd love to read your palm, and hear your thoughtful analysis of mine!

Dark Eyes

Hey Alissa,
I would love to trade palmreadings one day, it would be fantastic. One day, if at all possible in my lifetime, we will.
Keep up the great work Alissa, you are doing a fine job.
warm wishes Dark Eyes ;)

Vilyariel

lunalafey said:
I have noticed that the end of most peoples pinkies are equal to the top knuckle of the ring finger. My pinkie is only to the half way point between the two knuckles (I have met only one other person like me)......the starting joint of the pinkie is below the other three finger joints (which are all even)....Now in comparing (& showing off my midget pinkie) with others, I did not see if the joint placement played into this characteristic. I wish I had the info you have provided here a long time ago. I'm just wondering how much of a 'freak of nature' (LOL) my pinkies are......

Hahaha, i have that same problem!
People at school were constantly bugging me to do that 'hand comparison' thing, they used to think my short pinkies were a real hoot... combine that with the fact that my fingers are already short anyway, and my little 9 yo cousin has bigger pinkies than i.

crystal dawn

Alissa said:
Well, let's dive right in to palmistry then, shall we? I'll be referencing my copy of Cheiro's Palmistry : Language of the Hand every now and then, just for anyone who wants to play along at home, and happens to have a copy. It's an excellent resource for palmistry, although it makes for dry reading at times. Still, it is a classic in palmistry and most modern reading techniques stem from Cheiro's work, from what I've observed.

Study of the shape of the hand and fingers is called "cheirognomy". Cheiro writes that these shapes "relate to the hereditary influence of character and disposition."

When I read, I limit the number of hand shapes to basically 4, with one extra. The four I look for immediately are earth, air, water and fire handed people. These characteristics can be seen in the fingers' length and shape, and the top of the hand length and bredth.

The characteristics, as follows, closely resemble other elemental definitions used in reading, and I find them a nice touch stone to begin a reading with, as it opens up a reading or a sitter's energy.

When you begin a palm reading, almost everyone on god's green earth will smack their palm at you, usually stiff as a board and palm up. My technique is to gently take the hand and turn it over, smiling. I may or may not make a joke about it as well. If they are still holding an excessive amount of tension in the hand, I'll chide them ("Relax! It's only a palm reading!") and massage the hand a bit to get it to soften up.

Now, on to Hand Shapes and Types....

Air hands = Long and narrow, often graceful on either a man or woman. Usually a dry hand as well, and often with long fingernails.

The long palm indicates a mind that spends a great deal of time with it's thoughts until they are released through the fingers and out into the world. The long fingers are also indicative of an active mind, quite often that of a person who is a self-studier and learned in many different aspects.

They're ideal bookkeepers, as they have minds with the capacity to hold and manage lots of detailed bits of information. And, they are often the ones who find themselves bored at tasks that are too easy and don't keep the mind active/challenged enough.

Fire hands = Big palms/top of hands and short fingers. Often fire hands look "stubby" to me, and if they strike me as extremely "stubby" it's often a sign of a very *Stubborn* nature (which is certainly not uncommon in fire handed people anyhow).

Their short palms indicate a mind that is sometimes hasty in it's fired-up state and how it approaches decision making. The beauty of fire hands is they are the ones who come up with brilliant new ideas and have so much passion behind them ... at least, for a little while.

The down side to fire handed people is their passions are sometimes short lived, and they can have difficulty following through with projects, or the other things that they begin.

They're ideal salesmen, as they can talk just about anyone into just about anything, and often so sweetly, or politely, that you'll find yourself grinning and nodding while jumping through their every hoop.

Water hands = Longish, just like air hands, but the quality in water hands is their immediate dampness and/or moistness that is apparent upon first touch. (Yes, some people have sweaty palms, but this goes beyond that). They can sometimes have pink fingertips as well, or the energy of the hand presents itself as soft and yielding, like a current of water.

These folks are the highly emotional ones, the "softies" through and through but often with a heart of gold, and a super sized sense of compassion in how they greet the world. (It is funny to me how often they will laugh when you call them a "softie" and nod in complete acknowledgment. Water handed folks don't even try to hide it!)

However, their extremely emotional nature can led to destructive or neurotic behaviors when not managed well. They often have substance issues, and/or battle depression.

They're the ones you want for your very best friends, the ones you wanna call when you feel terrible and just hearing your water friend's voice will make you feel better.

Lastly,

Earth hands = Bear paws! Almost everyone, regardless of whether they've studied palmistry or not, recognizes earth hands on another person. They're large, expansive, wide and long. Often, they are very dry as well.

These are the hands of the sensible, functional and "get stuff done" kinda people. They are not overly emotional, and may even pride themselves on that quality. (They usually have very few palm lines as well, btw). In general terms, they are often the least likely to be interested, or gifted in, psychic phenomena ... so as a reader, you may see them the least ;).

(And, in general, the air handed folks are the most likely to take interest in and/or study psychic phenomena, with water following a close second).

And my "Plus One" hand type is what Cheiro calls the Conic Hand, but I have my own way of reading it :

Conic Hands = These hands, no matter what sign they fall under, have a graceful, curved appearance due to the fact that the area where the finger starts for the first finger is significantly higher, rather than horizontal to, the same joint on the pinkie. (I recognize these hands easily because I have some myself ;)).

These folks are day dreamers, often creative, aesthetic, and visualize an ideal world that often doesn't match up to reality's standards.

I usually read only the "elemental" sign of the palm of my sitter, but Cheiro lists many more that I'm still learning.

Other characteristics in finger shapes that I look for are :

Knobby knuckles -- The wider the knuckle, the more stubborn the person. Energy is imagined as leaving the hand from the palm to the fingertips, and the fewer obstacles (bumps, knuckles) along the way, the more efficiently they work.

Also, I often see knuckles that go "round and round". This is a personal technique, but when looking at certain people's knuckles, the patterns in the lines sometimes will swirl around and around, indicating a mind with thoughts that do the same.

They may be "paralysis by analysis" types, who over analyze everything (round and round) before making up their minds. Or, they may be slow to decision-making, as they naturally require a slower pace and time to digest input and then come to a conclusion.

Another technique I was taught when learning finger shapes was : the skinny first phalange!

This area (where we wear our rings) is often indicative of a person's ability to enjoy their senses/sensual pleasures.

The skinner the phalange, the meaner they are to themselves. Fleshy, padded and thick phalanges speak to sensual natured people who appreciate feeling good with little remorse. The (borrowed!) analogy I use when reading is : "You're the kind of person who isn't counting fat grams and calories when the Haagen Dazs carton is in the trash." :D

However, skinny phalanges can indicate a disposition to feeling guilty for certain sensual pleasures, a tendency I will encourage my sitters to abandon, which usually makes them laugh.

That's all I can think of for hand shapes, and it's my method, but certainly not the only method, or even the established (!), so I look forward to hearing more from others, either who have questions and/or additional insights to share.

(Alissa mumbles something like, "Welcome to the Palmistry group, I'll be your facilitator, Alissa. There are 2 exits to the rear of the website, 2 at the top of the page and two on the mouse. Can I interest you in a beverage?")

Hi Alissa
gosh thats pretty amazing stuff. I have studied palmistry a little and only know the basics, but when i have read palms in the past i have always been very accurate, my psychic ability just seems to kick in and i see all kinds of things. Though i think i still have alot to learn on the theory side though.

blessings

crystal dawn

rcb30872

Alissa said:
Another word on Air hands :

Air handed people are usually the ones who move very "fast" through life. Air allows little to no resistance. They think fast, they walk fast -- they're the ones whom everyone is saying, "Slow down already!" to when walking along shopping or what have you.

Air handed people will laugh every single time I tell them that, and I know because I'm one too. ;)
I have just read this, I had to have a chuckle, reminds me of my mum always telling me to "slow down", my response "I can't slow down"

I wouldn't say my hand is overly large, a bit on the small side actually. But I do have long fingers. I can be stubborn, as indicated by my "knobby" knuckles. However I do have sweaty palms, but I think that is a hereditary thing, as my dad had that and so does one of my brothers.

So I guess, if I had to say according to what you said, that I don't classicly fit in anywhere, but after reading what you have read about the various types, I would say that I am a mixture. Stubborn, you have no idea! So the "knobby" knuckles in relation to stubbornness is spot on.

Bec

Alissa

rcb30872 said:
I wouldn't say my hand is overly large, a bit on the small side actually. But I do have long fingers. I can be stubborn, as indicated by my "knobby" knuckles.
A mixture of hand shapes is very common, although if you can tell you have longish fingers, chances are your Air handed side is prevalent.

A balanced, yet "large" hand usually reminds me of an earth hand - those are the bear-paw people, so we usually think of large hands as being earth types, although certainly not always.

The stubborness evident in the knuckles can be evidenced on *any* hand shape however... not just Air hands. So feel free to apply that to any hand shape, as you see it. Also, when observing knuckles, but take a look at the patterns of wrinkles. If they make circles, this shows me someone who has a difficult time letting the thoughts become manifest through their actions - it's like the energy gets trapped going around and around the head, being "figured out" and let go of.

I have seen circular knuckle patterns on various hand shapes also, not just for a specific type.

:)

rcb30872

Thanks Alissa

Well, I wouldn't say the wrinkles are circular at all. Some might be a bit curved, but generally are pretty straight. If I had to say anything at all about this, I would say a bit of both.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I guess that is a relief, even though I am an earth sign (astrological), no way can my hands be described as Earth hands. They seem to be a little bit on the delicate side, but with a few bumps and calouses and whatever else just from "wear and tear". Along with what I call "a writer's knob" on my right middle finger, just below the nail.

Much appreciated.

Bec