The Dreams Of Gaia Tarot

dreamsofgaia

Hi everyone,

I thought, because this thread has gone active again, that I would come in and add a personal update.

Yes, the tarot is finally (offers up a prayer of gratitude) finished. It's been a journey of almost ten years, since I first began to dream of creating the deck, to being signed by Blue Angel to create the deck, and then completing the deck. To say that this project has not been a major influence in my life, would be a gross understatement. It has changed me in so many ways.

I have continued to work on it through major life changes from illness to marriage break down, but it has kept me going. I am both excited and terrified by the fact that this project of mine is now almost at that point when it's ready for me to give to you. This is a manifestation of the last decade of my life.

Now, the most important piece of information about this deck is that it is not a traditional tarot. The deck is comprised of 81 cards, with the major arcana having 25 cards, and the minor arcana 56. The major arcana has very few of the traditional archetypes and is broken up into three groups of eight cards - stages of life, reasons for being, and influence. The zero card is the Choice card, because one of the main premises of the deck is that everything comes back to choice.

The minors are purely elemental in nature - Earth for home, career, family. Fire represents action and being. Air represents the mind, imagination, learning etc, while the water cards are the realm of the emotions and intuition.

The court cards have also had a bit of a change with there being the traditional king and queen, but the knights and pages have been replaced. The eleven card is now a balancing/realignment card, and the Knights have been replaced with the Senechal (Earth), The Scribe (Air), The Hero (Fire), and The Counsellor (Water).

As for the format of the deck, we were at a loss as to what size we should do the cards, whether they should be big cards or small cards like those used for my oracle deck - Messenger Oracle. In the end, we had to find a middle ground, and so the cards are 9cm (3.5") x 14cm (5.5") in size. I have kept the design very simple - black and gold border, black back with no back of card illustration. They will, if all goes according to plan, have a metallic gold gilding to the outside edge.

The guidebook is massive. If Blue Angel print it at the same size they do for all of their guidebooks, it will be somewhere around 250 pages. The meanings are offered in three different ways - keywords, key phrases, and longer meanings. The meanings for the majors are broken up into four parts - past, present, future, potential blockage. The minors are in two parts - meaning and potential blockage. There are four card spreads, and a very basic chapter on the philosophy of the deck. The thing is, the philosophy of the deck is primarily to empower by knowing self. The deck is not just for divinatory purposes, but so that you can better understand who you are and how what you believe and feel influences your choices.

I have created this deck with the full awareness that it is not going to be for everyone. There are cards that people will find quite challenging, and some will hate it. But, over the years, I have also come to understand that there are many who want this deck to be just as much as I do, and who believe, like me, that it is going to fulfill its purpose by helping people to strengthen their connection with themselves, the people around them, and the cosmic weave.

Now, as for WHEN. Honestly, it's taken me so long to get everything painted and written, and the time left before it is available can be measured in weeks, but it's still at least three to four months away (and those months are paradoxically passing by slowly and flying by at the same time). I suspect, the publishers, and powers that be, will most likely have it out and available just before my birthday at the start of July, and I have to admit that it would be a lovely way to mark the end of one rather chaotic and life-changing solar return, and the beginning of another.

If anyone has any questions, please, do not hesitate to ask. I am only too happy to answer.

My website is also currently down, so, I hope nobody minds if I post a link to the only place the entire deck can be viewed ...

https://www.facebook.com/ravynnemph...35948052657.1073741829.100003087712889&type=3

desertrat

Oh, Ms. Phelan! Congratulations on the completion of your deck! It sounds divine. There may be some people who will not care for the changes made to the traditional tarot structure, but I think it sounds intriguing.

Thank you for sticking with the project throughout the years and difficulties. I will treasure the deck all the more knowing that you put so much of yourself into it. And thank you for posting here with all the details - it all sounds amazing. :heart:

dreamsofgaia

Thank you, desertrat :)

When I first began to work on the deck, it was going to be a rider-waite clone, because, at that stage of my life, I was afraid of breaking with tradition. But everytime I would make a start, I struggled to move forward, because, in my heart of hearts, I knew this deck was meant to be very different. I just needed to find the courage to heed my communications with Spirit and allow this tarot to be an alternative tarot.

It would have been so much easier on me mentally, emotionally, and physically, to do a clone, but it just was not meant to be. In the end, I did find that courage to create something unique, because I had come to see, and understand, that I was unique. I know that this deck does what it claims, because working on it has changed me from a person who was afraid to someone who, while still having some things to work through, is confident and creating a future of her choosing. I feel and understand my connection and influence in all that I do.

I don't really see myself as an author or artist ... I am a toolmaker. It's not for me to tell anyone how or what to believe, but hopefully, provide a tool that will empower the user so that they can determine for themselves how they live, what they believe, and how to best create a life that is in accord with who they are. In order to do that, I had to create a tarot that was different, because we are all different.

Serenia

Ravynne, thank you so much for stopping by! :love:

Oh, Ms. Phelan! Congratulations on the completion of your deck! It sounds divine. There may be some people who will not care for the changes made to the traditional tarot structure, but I think it sounds intriguing.

Thank you for sticking with the project throughout the years and difficulties. I will treasure the deck all the more knowing that you put so much of yourself into it. And thank you for posting here with all the details - it all sounds amazing. :heart:

I absolutely second this! I'm so excited that - against all odds - the deck is now practically completed!! :love:

Celtictarot

Yay! I can't wait for the deck

MoonGypsy

i am so pleased, dear Ravynne!

What a pure JOY to know that your
gorgeous deck has finally been birthed!

Your soulful determination despite the challenges is awesome and very inspiring!

You have done it! And i heartily congratulate you from the bottom to the tippy top
of my heart!

i have long adored your art and look forward to holding this very beautiful
deck in my hands!

i bow to your Divine Muse! May she continue to inspire you and guide
your heart and hands. :love:

BTW, Unfortunately, a few of us don't use Facebook, so hopefully, your website will
be back up and running soon. :)

dreamsofgaia

:) I thought, now that my publisher - Blue Angel Publishing - have given me the okay to do so, I would share a few of the cards and the box artwork with you all. It looks like it will be a birthday release for the deck, i.e. it will be out in July (my birthday month).

Attachments

• Dreams_of_Gaia_Coverprom6.jpg
    Dreams_of_Gaia_Coverprom6.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 389
  • phelan_tarotsevenofearthprom3.jpg
    phelan_tarotsevenofearthprom3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 382
  • phelan_tarot15abundanceprom4.jpg
    phelan_tarot15abundanceprom4.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 388

GlitterNova

Thank you for the update! This deck is one of the only decks this year that I know I will absolutely be purchasing.

JadePixie

OOOOOH it looks stunning, definitely going to go on my *must have* list!

Thoughtful

What a joy to have a tarot that will be unique in that it will not be following the RWS tradition. It will have its own voice and that is something l have wanted in a tarot for a long time.
Bless you for battling on through illness and emotional difficulties to bring us all a very spirit inspired tarot, for that is what l believe we have here.
Will be waiting for the deck to be in my hands and heart.