Tarot in the Land of Mystereum anyone?

Hedera

It's now out as a set from Schiffer; there are quite a few pictures up here:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/land-mystereum/

and there's a review here:
http://bonniecehovet.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/tarotin-the-landof-mystereum/

and another one here:
http://lizzieslogic.blogspot.com/2011/02/deck-review-tarot-in-land-of-mystereum.html

I did a search, but could only find a handful of threads mentioning the older (self-published I think) edition, and those were really only mentions in passing.

Does anyone have this?
Work with this?

I like the bold, flat colours, and the way it seems familiar, yet strange & exciting & new... But I wonder if it might not be *too* different to what I'm used to (mostly RWSsy and Thothy decks).

OctoberGwen

I've actually fallen deeply in love with the backs!

Hedera

The backs are great, aren't they? :)

I've found pictures of nearly all the cards of the first edition on the creator's website, here:
http://www.jordanhoggard.com/JordanHoggard.com/Home.html
(the Moon seems to be missing, but I suspect that is a glitch)

I love most of the Majors (wonderful Emperor!), but the minors feel a bit jumbled, if you look at all of them.

I also read something about Schiffer making a few of the cards more family-friendly, or something; I hope they didn't censor Strength, that was such a beautiful card!

Still on the fence...

Le Fanu

I have had this on my radar, pending further info/impressions from fellow ATers.

I quite like the scans here at AT.

The colours remind of the colours of the International Icon Tarot.

But Hedera's comment about making some cards "family friendly" has set alarm bells ringing. How can people still think of censorship in 2011? I would like to know more details of this. I read in the review, nudity taken out of it because of children.

I hate that. I am not a child, why do I not have the right to have the deck as it was created?

I would actually refuse to buy a censored tarot deck on principle. This one may have just slipped off the radar...

Hedera

Le Fanu, I am considering writing Schiffer an email, enquiring where I might buy an uncensored deck. :D

Also, it makes me wonder what they're going to do to the Mary-El, which they're publishing this fall!

Edit: I am tempted to refuse to buy censored decks, too - but I do have the Rohrig, and not the original uncensored one...
Still, it makes me angry!

gregory

I've got the original version. I had no idea the Schiffer one was censored. I imagine you can contact the artist and ask...

Sidhe-Ra

I think that if there was a censorship issue, it was because the Schiffer edition is specifically marketing at children, with a storybook etcetera.

There is the odd bit of quite saucy nudity in the Sidhe, and it hasn't even been mentioned, certainly not censored.

Em x

Le Fanu

Hedera said:
Edit: I am tempted to refuse to buy censored decks, too - but I do have the Rohrig, and not the original uncensored one...
Still, it makes me angry!
Ooh, no, you must get the Rohrig sans underpants. A must. I might try and get the original Mysterum, and write to Schiffer - dig, dig - asking, with a tone of "it's not your version I desire"...

Just seen Em's post. Is this a deck directed at children then, with a book? If so then I'm definitely not the target public. I prefer something more depraved.

Manda

I told Jordan via facebook to come here and tell you all what he thinks. He tends to be his own best explain-er })

Le Fanu, while children could use this deck, I don't think it is childish, persay. The creator has a very vibrant energy that comes through. I think you may like it as it reminds me a it of Navigators of the Mystic SEA. I have the self published version and a Schiffer version, and there are reasons to like both, in my opinion.

My understanding was that Schiffer is very free with their artists, so I think the changes made may have been left up to him, though I am not speaking on any authority. Attached is a Schiffer version of Strength.

Attachments

• Mystereum XI resize.jpg
    Mystereum XI resize.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 220

Le Fanu

Oh not childish. I wouldn't say that. But I just wondered if the target public was children, with the book (which I know nothing about btw)...