Fortune-Telling with Playing Cards, Tarot Cards, Dice: By Anon

Bernice

It's arrived, my second hand copy (minus Dice).

Bear in mind that I've only skipped through the book to get the gist of it. But I'm so pleased I took a chance and got it!

Paperback:There are 269 pages of which the first 10 are the Intro and the 'How to' and the Index. The rest of the book has three sections; Playing cards, Tarot Cards (trumps only), and Dice. There were originally three dice with this item; a Green one, Red one, and a White one, all with the usual spots plus symbols. All sections have a spread &/or an approach about using the cards/dice.

~~ The playing card meanings arn't totally unfamiliar, but they flow cohesively (unlike some meanings I've come across) and are presented in a very readable way. They really do cover all aspects, including 2, 3, & 4 of a kind if they should appear in your layout. The significance of what each card means is explained under the following sub-headings;

Numerical
Practical
Psychological (not inner-child fluffy psycho-stuff)
Psychic
Influential (This appears to be a sort of atmosphere that a card brings with it.).
Reversed

I'm definitely having a go at this.

~~ The Tarot section covers the trumps with both Positive and Negative meanings.
Justice is 8 (Big Smily here). And the accompaning cards are a pack of trumps. They have Rider-Waite names, but the deck is quite unknown to me. Cardstock is rather thin. I like the artwork.

MAGICIAN: [Excerpt from the Positive meaning].
"...there is a somewhat chancy element attached to this card. It tells the questioner to go ahead and blind them all with science, use new found confidence and have a go.......... rewards for use of ones' imagination, original ideas, flair, art, craft or subtlety that he or she possesses."

Having read lots of tarot card meanings, I wasn't prepared to discover that I can actually agree with how Anon (author) has interpreted them.

Sample card pics: http://tazmaria.multiply.com/photos/photo/13/2

~~The Dice
I wish they accompanied the book...... maybe I can find the (new) complete book/item elsewhere.
This section reads like an Oracle. A good one at that! Combinations of the three dice are given, reminding me of Lenormand combinations :). e.g:- BOAT + SUN + GOBLET. Each 3-dice combination has meanings for what may be relavant to the query:

1) General situation:
2) Finance/Business:
3) Love/affections:

Examples are given of how to Cast and Read them. Extra overall, or detailed, meanings can be derived from totalling a layout, &/or totalling different layout areas.

Bee :)

cardlady22

I wonder if the dice section info is similar to the ones described in David & Julia Line's Fortune-Telling By Dice, 1984 ~ Aquarian Press
The 3 areas are titled the same.

ETA: An inside page refers to titles In this series
*Fortune-Telling By Playing Cards (Nerys Dee)
*Fortune-Telling By Runes (David and Julia Line)
*Fortune-Telling By Tarot Cards (Jo Logan)

Bernice

cardlady22 said:
I wonder if the dice section info is similar to the ones described in David & Julia Line's Fortune-Telling By Dice, 1984 ~ Aquarian Press
The 3 areas are titled the same.

ETA: An inside page refers to titles In this series
*Fortune-Telling By Playing Cards (Nerys Dee)
*Fortune-Telling By Runes (David and Julia Line)
*Fortune-Telling By Tarot Cards (Jo Logan)
I've checked the fly/title page of the book. Must all be published by Aquarian Press.

"Material in this book is taken from;

* The Aquarian Book of Fortune-Telling. (Aquarian Press 1987)
* Tarot in Action, Sahsha Fenton (Aquarian Press 1987)
* Fortune Telling by Dice. By David and Julia Line. (Aquarian Press 1984)"

Rodney:
Bernice,

That's the Prediction Tarot.

Rodney
Yes! Thank you Rodney. Never realised that the Prediction Tarot followed the Marsielle in the ordering of it's' trumps. Plus I like the plain courts & pips. I read a couple of online reviews, seems that some people don't like the 'plainess' of this deck, but that's a plus for me :). Means the elements, if used, arn't pre-fixed to the suits.

Le Fanu

Oh yes, the Prediction tarot. A lovely example of 80s tarot art. I love mine. Published - you're right - by the Aquarian Press. Pale, wispy imagery and stark Minors.

Your dice system sounds remarkably like one I have; I have the book you mention by David and Julia Line, which requires three dice (each one a different colour) and has these combinations such as you mention. That's exactly it. I first saw this system in Prediction magazine in the mid-80s.

I had a bit of a spurt in dice divination a couple of years ago. Still intrigues me now and the book by the Lines is very interesting.

Glad your book was considered a "find" when it arrived!!

Melanchollic

I have to admit I like the look of those cards - well illustrated and free from excessive 'reinterpretation'.

How's the quality of the card stock?

Bernice

I also used to get the Prediction magazine, on a regular basis during the 70s :)!

I already have coloured dice, minus symbol-markings :)(), which are a left over from D&D .... back in the early 80s. Might get around to using them again now.

This card stock is probably a cheaper version of the actual full deck, it's quite thin and has everso teeny little 'bits' all around the edges, as though they were pressed out from a perforated sheet - like postage stamps. But they do, just about, stand up to a shuffle.

Yesterday, I saw a Prediction Tarot going for a song. Second-hand, in good nick. If it's still there next month = it's gonna be mine!

It would seem that this book is a condensed version of three books. Still pleased I got it, 3 for the price of one.

Le Fanu

Melanchollic said:
I have to admit I like the look of those cards - well illustrated and free from excessive 'reinterpretation'.

How's the quality of the card stock?
If you can get the original Aquarian press one (which pop up on ebay, sometimes with book by Sasha Fenton), it has that dreamy cardstock which only older decks have. It is a beautiful deck. Has a kind of timeless tarot feel to it. The archetypes and nothing more. It always was a favourite deck of mine at the time (I bought it when it came out, 1984 or 85?) and then I came here and other decks with prettier colours and glitter distracted me but it really is a beautiful deck. Beautiful backs, beautiful minors, feels kind of streamlined, nothing superfluous... I know that it is one of Lee's favourite decks.

teomat

Gosh I used to have this deck! I haven't thought about it in years...

I have to say that I thought the Minors were appalling (at the time) and the back design was rather odd, but the Majors were brilliant. They were so dreamy, mysterious and clever. The clouds making wing-like shapes on Temperance. That creepy Magician in his study. The Chariot almost flinging itself off a cliff edge in it's haste. The hourglass behind the Hermit...

It felt both modern and old at the same time. Simple, but mysterious. A real old-school tarot deck.

Debra

Well this just drove up the price :laugh: