Tarot in the Spirit of Zen and Osho Zen Companion Book

marimorimo

I own the complete Osho Zen deck and book set...in Japanese :D Though reading it is not an impossible feat, it's really quite a chore and an uphill battle. What am I missing out by not reading the companion book?

I also own another Osho book, Tarot in the Spirit of Zen which also uses the the cards from this deck. What's the difference between this and the companion book? Should I try looking for the companion book?

rwcarter

Hi marimorimo,

Looking at the forward of Tarot in the Spirit of Zen, it says that it "is a handbook to broaden and deepen the understanding of those who use the Osho Zen Tarot. This audience of readers will understand immediately how to use this book as a valuable supplement to the handbook they already have, which comes packaged together with the cards." So it is the "next level" of getting to know the cards.

If you've been using the cards for awhile and getting on well with them, you probably don't need the original companion book that comes with the deck.

Doing a quick compare/contrast on the write up for the Fool in both books, there's a four page write-up in TSZ and about one equivalent page in the companion book. Glancing through what's written, TSZ appears to be more about understanding the particular archetypes in depth while the companion book appears to provide an introduction to them, if that makes sense.

HTH,
Rodney

marimorimo

Thanks a lot for the information, Rodney! I think I could settle for the 'next level' Osho Zen book :)