Blogging Tips

IheartTarot

IheartTarot said:
Does anyone know how to enable tooltips/popups (text that pops up when you hover your mouse over an image or link) easily in Blogger, i.e. preferably without changing the blog template which I am not exactly qualified to do?

I have figured out one way to do it, i.e. by adding the code shown in blue below to the link code in the Edit HTML box for the post:

<a href="...." title="insert popup text here">...</a>

IheartTarot

Blogger/browser issues

IheartTarot said:
The other day I upgraded to IE9 because my computer prompted me too and I did not question it. I am sorry I did, because it is very slow especially when blogging. The "solution" sold online is to disable add-on toolbars which I find helps little with speed and is the main thing I like about Internet Explorer versus other browsers!

Short of downgrading back to IE8 if that is possible, I have decided to use Google Chrome for blogging from now on but I have discovered that the blog layout appears differently in GC than IE which sucks as I try very hard to get the layout right. IE accounts for the majority of page views (about 60%) so I now have a dilemma. Any suggestions?

IheartTarot said:
I decided to try downgrade back to IE8 if I can as that seems the best option for me. I post a lot of pictures with wrapped around text and this is where the layout issues arise.

I just wanted to post an update about this here. I have switched my default web browser from IE8 to Google Chrome as a new issue arose last week which prevented me and many others from logging in to Blogger and leaving comments on blogs. One solution that seems to work is to switch to a different web browser (Google Chrome works for me, but not for everyone go figure). I keep IE8 as a separate browser on my desktop and use it for googling and accessing some websites with shortcuts on my IE toolbar. I have to set GC as default as every blog comment that comes through in my email links to my default browser.

I have never used Wordpress but at this point I would be very hesitant to recommed anyone start a new blog in Blogger as it seems quite unstable to me. Of course the same thing could happen at Wordpress and I would be interested to know if it ever has.

IheartTarot

kwaw said:
I was having recurring problem with IE in that it would often suddenly start loading a page continually so hundreds of the same page would come up, when it happened alt/cntr/del didn't work and I would have to switch the computer off to get out of the loop!

This just happened to me for the first time after I opened up a random blog for the first time (with IE8). :eek:

AJ

I tackle a new learning project each year and one year it was learning to blog. I wrote so many posts...and deleted them all in the course of that year. Finally it struck me as the perfect venue for my card of the day, because it was searchable, unlike my paper journals.

I write for myself, and I've never looked back.

People may not respond to your comments because perhaps you have your settings to not come to your email but the dreaded noreply@blogger.com or the equivalent of your platform. Sometimes I will respond to the comment after theirs but who knows if they ever bother to come back and see...you have to select the option in your settings to include the ability for peole to respond to your comments.

I don't like blogs full of ads.

IheartTarot

AJ said:
I tackle a new learning project each year and one year it was learning to blog. I wrote so many posts...and deleted them all in the course of that year. Finally it struck me as the perfect venue for my card of the day, because it was searchable, unlike my paper journals.

I write for myself, and I've never looked back.

I think your blog has inspired many others to start their own blog. :)

AJ said:
People may not respond to your comments because perhaps you have your settings to not come to your email but the dreaded noreply@blogger.com or the equivalent of your platform. Sometimes I will respond to the comment after theirs but who knows if they ever bother to come back and see...you have to select the option in your settings to include the ability for peole to respond to your comments.

My profile is very comment friendly but some blogs are not. Wordpress and Blogger give you an option to subscribe to comments, but I have not figured out any way to do this with Livejournal for example. I no longer comment on (or read) those blogs as it is too frustrating for me. :(

There was a Blogger/browser issue that made the link to subscribe to comments disappear often but that seems to be resolved now that I am using Google Chrome. :)

AJ said:
I don't like blogs full of ads.

Me neither. I find it hard to believe that anyone buys anything via those annoying ads. I also don't like blogs that are pretending to be blogs but are actually only advertising services. It is a waste of my time to open a blog post that is not actually a blog post. :(

AJ

Blogging has changed a lot since I started. I had a quilting blog I loved doing and loved reading other quilt related blogs, but in the last year and a half it seems the majority are into
"I have this widget to give away and to win it you have to post here, follow me here, follow me on facebook, and follow me around and wipe my ..." :)
you get the drift. I'm sure it is related to social sites because I see that mentality in other areas too. But anyway, I closed my quilt bloearlierer this year. I guess I'd said everything I had to say on the subject, unlike tarot. I can look back at my charts and see I've pulled the moon or the 7 of swords a dozen or two dozen times, but there is always something different and new to say about what that card says to me that day...

I love my cards :)

I'm working out of town this week, and have my husbands laptop and I can't post a comment on any of the blogs in the old thread i have about them, or this one, it just keeps looping me to googles sign-in page. Oh well... I was there reading gang!

IheartTarot

AJ said:
I'm working out of town this week, and have my husbands laptop and I can't post a comment on any of the blogs in the old thread i have about them, or this one, it just keeps looping me to googles sign-in page. Oh well... I was there reading gang!

That sounds exactly like the problem I was having recently until I switched to Google Chrome. Many people are affected judging by the Blogger help forum. I heard a story on the news last night about Chinese hackers of Google/gmail accounts and I wonder if it is related....I do get the feeling that Blogger is being maliciously sabotaged but maybe it is just a side-effect of something else like this.

IheartTarot

AJ said:
Blogging has changed a lot since I started. I had a quilting blog I loved doing and loved reading other quilt related blogs, but in the last year and a half it seems the majority are into
"I have this widget to give away and to win it you have to post here, follow me here, follow me on facebook, and follow me around and wipe my ..." :)
you get the drift. I'm sure it is related to social sites because I see that mentality in other areas too.

I am using both facebook and twitter and am not sure how effective it is. I am of the opinion that if someone wants more readers (and maybe clients), the best way is to post quality content and make genuine connections with other bloggers by reading and commenting on their blogs. I get the feeling that social media is a monster out of control. Everybody is selling and nobody is buying. You have to sift through a lot of garbage to find anything of value.

IheartTarot

AJ said:
I love my cards :)

It shows! :)

I love my cards too and blogging about them is a great way to get more use out of them (it's not so much fun playing alone).

Samurai2001

social media and good blogging

I think the problem is that a lot of people don't know how to use social media -- they're just trying to push "ads" through it. But social media is a two-way street, writing, listening, and responding. I think a good blog is too - if you don't respond to comments it's kind of irritating.

And er, yeah, I've got a social media blog. Actually, I wrote a post this week on how to write for the web on my social media blog (see my profile).

Anyway, good luck with your blogging!

Kirsten