How useful is the Pictorial Key to you.

jema

I am pretty sure you could just find some free version of it online...

MusicalPisces

Aw, I'm sorry people don't like it. I personally do. It's definitely difficult to read, and I don't always..."feel" what the book says, if you know what I mean. But I think it's kind of one of those books that you sort have to know to help you along...it's like the basis. For me, anyway. But it was also my first book, so we have a strange love:)

KMilliron

jema said:
I am pretty sure you could just find some free version of it online...
Free + Online put together is a combination that should automatically make you think "KMilliron"
I believe I've seen them before. Shouldn't have a problem finding one. Try scribd.

Le Fanu

I read it once quite a few years ago, when there were much fewer tarot books around. I seem to have accumulated so many copies (5? Two PCS Commemorative sets, a late 70s version of the book, a small version of the book that came with the Rider & Co deck, and the once that came with my Pam B) It is so odd to have 5 copies of a book you don't even like. I don't even have 5 copies of books I love.

Anyone would think they were back ups or something, perish the thought.

I feel as though, having read it once, I have done my duty. If I'm going to reread any tarot companion book I'd rather it be the Book of Thoth tbh, a much richer and deeper (and, for me, useful) read.

Briar Rose

I keep it as a reference, in case I need to look something up- someday.

Richard

I find it indispensible for understanding what Waite was trying to communicate in the cards. If you have no interest in that, then there's no reason to read the book.

Abrac

I find it helpful at times as a reference like LRichard said, to try understand what he had in mind for some of the cards, but if I try to sit down and read the whole thing I can't seem to concentrate. I have to re-read every other sentence to try and figure out what the heck he's saying. Over the years it's gotten easier, but really I don't think it's an important enough book to try and plow through just for the sake of plowing through it. There's aren't any earthshaking revelations to be had, in my opinion.

What I've found the most helpful is to have the digital version on hand because it's searchable.

Laura Borealis

I have tried to read it, but my eyes just skim over the sentences without my brain absorbing what's being said. :neutral:

Richard

Abrac and laura_borealis: Waite has a difficult writing style. Over in the RWS Forum, a well-known Tarot scholar (Teheuti) has conjectured that Waite may have had Asperger's Syndrome, which interfered with his ability to communicate clearly.

As an example, I think the final sentence of Waite's commentary on the Tower in PKT, while almost parenthetical, probably contains his personal interpretation of the card (which is Christian, but more mystical/Gnostic than orthodox). Unfortunately, it takes a bit of Biblical exegesis to sort it out.