How useful is the Pictorial Key to you.

The crowned one

LRichard said:
Compared to Joyce's Finnegans Wake (or even Ulysses), Waite's PKT is about kindergarten level.

Yes sure, and I find oranges do not taste anything like apples ;)

Teheuti

I think the book is brilliant - if you can learn to deal with his language and attitude. When it comes to interpretations, you might find that he doesn't say anything original - that's because
1) authors since have taken from him but said it in a more pleasing way, so he comes across as 'old hat' (i.e., "I already knew that")—although it was he who originated the material (with the exception of the next item).
2) he was combining several older sources (although it's only relatively recently that these sources were clearly identified or translated - see Villa Revak).

He was practically the only person until the 1980s who wrote relatively accurately about Tarot's history.

On TarotL once, we went, line-by-line, discussing for several weeks his chapter on "The Doctrine Behind the Veil: 1. The Tarot and Secret Tradition." Everyone tried paraphrasing each sentence as we came to it. It was amazing (or *not*) how often his statements were completely misunderstood. To truly understand what he's talking about in this section you need to have read several of his other books.

He had a photographic memory and many of the odd sounding phrases, buried in his awkward sentences, are actually quotes from his favorite sources (Pseudo-Dionysus, the Book of Tobit, alchemical tracts, etc.).

Yes, he admired greatly those who could read the cards psychically, as that was not his forte. He later married (his second marriage) the woman who used to read cards for him about practical matters.