My first scrying experience - a surprise

Trogon

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently found and purchased my crystal ball. :D I bought it at the gem and mineral show which was in town last weekend. I had cleansed it and energized it. Slept a few nights with it in my pillow case, to get it attuned to me (and me attuned to it). Anyway, yesterday morning I finally had the chance to sit down and actually spend some time meditating and make my first try at scrying.

I layed out a black cloth and set 2 amethysts, 2 quartz crystals and a hematite around the quartz ball to help me focus energy on it. Lit a candle behind the ball and lit a charcoal with frankincense nodules on it. Sound wasn't much of a problem as I have a permanent ringing in my ears... it's a good pitch to aid my concentration... I guess tinnitus can be good for something. :rolleyes: I cleared my mind and opened myself to what might be there.

Anyway... to shorten this a little bit, I focused my thought on what I wanted to learn - I was hoping to achieve a closer, more direct connection with my spirit guides. As mentioned by Zorya, I allowed my eyes to kind of focus through the ball, rather than on the ball... trying to allow images to come into my vision, to open myself to them. After a while - I don't know how long of a time had passed, but it did seem to have been some time - then again, it seemed to be little time to me - I began to see an image! Then I saw more images... and more. Not quite a flood, or a film... but the images were there.

The first thing that came to me was the image of an eagle's head. It was facing to my left with it's beak partly open, as though calling. After a short time the eagle's head morphed into a lizard. This image of a lizard was much like the native-american image of a lizard which one can see in gift shops around the southwest - head to the left, body curved almost in a crescent.

The lizard faded after a time. The next image I was to see was a silhouette of a person standing in front of doorway filled with light. I didn't see movement, just this person silhoutted against the doorway. I also could not tell if the person were looking towards me, or back towards the door, but I had the distinct impression that the door was behind the person, relative to my point of view. Also, this doorway, as well as the person, appeared to be some distance away from me - I could see the entire person.

This image was replaced with the image of an owl. The owl was not in flight, but rather was perched and appeared to be looking further into the crystal ball. After a short time the owl image faded away. Some time passed and the person in front of the doorway returned... the same image as before... then it faded again.

I continued to look... remaining open to more images. Then a new image came into view. This was another silhoutte of a person, but this time the person was much closer as all I could see was the head and neck. My impression was that this was a female because the hair was longer and done up in a curly style much like my grandmother used to wear. In fact, I can't help thinking that this was her... but I couldn't see her face.

I am thinking of my grandmother with that last image partly because of the next image. This was a short stem with roses on it. They were small roses... such as what I used to think of as "tea roses", there were 3 or 4 growing on the stem. Unfortunately, I could not see the color.

After the roses had been gone for a short time, the silhouette at the doorway appeared again. Again, it was the same image with no movement and no noticable change.

After the doorway image faded I continued looking for a while and I saw a large bird in soaring flight... wings outstretched to catch the wind and the updrafts. I had a strong sense of movement... of the bird soaring through the skies, though I didn't actually see movement. After this image faded away, I watched for a short time but felt that there would be nothing else in this session.

I made notes a little while after my "session" while the images and impressions were fresh in my mind. I made a note that the woman's head silhouette did reappear once, but I did not note at what point it did - perhaps after the roses and before the soaring bird? That is really the only time it could have I guess.

I have a few impressions or interpretations which I will post in another message. This way, if any of you would like to make comments before reading my interpretations you can. Your comments and discussion are welcome and anticipated...

Trogon

My general impressions

This first attempt of mine at scrying was at the same time exciting, surprising and a little confusing. As I had mentioned, I was hoping to make a stronger connection with my spirit guides. In some respects, I believe I did achieve this, but not in the way I was hoping. I guess it would be a natural desire to be able to faces and specific images to my guides, perhaps even names, but I don't believe I reached that level of connection yet. I do believe, however, that I did connect with them on a level which I haven't had before.

The eagle's head, if it had not morphed into something else, might have been an image of a spirit guide - perhaps it still is? But I had more of a feeling that this was symbolic, rather than literal. I feel that this was meant to indicate that my spirit wanted to advance, to soar like an eagle, but I am still being held down by things of an oposing nature represented by the lizard. Emotions, fears, things such as these hold the spirit back, and I do carry my share of such "baggage". A message from one, or more, of my guides?

Now then... the silhouette of the person standing in front of the doorway. I have pondered this for a while and I'm still pretty unsure of it. Was it symbolic? Was it some litteral image? I'm not sure. One thing that occured to me though, was it could, again, represent me. I am working on new spiritual levels and moving towards that doorway... but I'm not there yet. But I'm moving in the right direction.

The owl. Again, the question is, is it symbolic or literal? I have a great affinity to birds anyway, perhaps because one or more of my guides are bird spirits? Is this owl one of my guides? Or is it a symbol of wisdom? The owl was facing into the crystal ball, rather than at me... perhaps indicating that there is much wisdom yet for me to gain?

The woman's head, followed up by the sprig of roses, I feel pretty strongly is a specific person. Someone connected to me through love. As I already mentioned, my grandmother (father's mother) seems to me to be a strong possibility. I'd already been told by a psychic, some time back, that she is around me and watching me and is "proud" of my current path. She may have stopped in to show her love and support.

Then there is the large bird soaring through the air. Lots of birds in this session, huh? Symbolically, this could mean several things... perhaps as mundane as indicating that the scrying session had come to an end. Perhaps as esoteric as saying that through this session I had achieved a new freedom of spirit and a next step on the path I am following. Other meanings are possible, of course. Part of the problem was that I couldn't tell for sure what kind of bird it was, other than it being large. But "large bird" could be eagle, hawk, vulture, condor, thunderbird, owl... I suppose it could even have been a pteradactyl. No... I'm certain it had feathers...

So many images... so little brain to process them... :rolleyes: Still, I feel that this scrying session was an amazing one for me and has given me a great deal of food for thought... a great deal to contemplate and learn from.

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to read through all of this. Thank you for giving me an outlet do discuss it and put thoughts into words. I do hope that my thoughts have been of some interest.

Ruby Red Slippers

Quick response before work....

Trogon:
The first impressions that I got from your session....Fabulous BTW....
is of all the aspects of the Tarot were represented.
Birds - air - flight - mind - Swords
Lizard - Spiritual - inspirations - Wands
Grandma/Roses - Pentacles, an earth connection
Doorway - Cups - emotions - wanting to connect emotionally with your "spirit-self"

Also thought of John Edwards use of "roses" wherein he says it is our loved ones way of sending us messages, of love.

Thought the doorway definitly represented your merging with your higher/self perhaps your guides.

The owl also made me think of Harry Potter, magic messengers!

Just some quickies...I'm so happy for you!

Ruby Red Slippers

Celtic_Dragon

That is really great, I'm so excited for you!!! It's definately given me hope for reaching and communicating with my guides...thanks for sharing.... :D

firemaiden

Trogon, truly amazing. I wonder what the doorway is. Is it Grandma standing in the doorway? Doorways are the place of crossing over of course.

Alissa

:eek: WOW!

Trogon, I'm really impressed with everything you share here. I have only a few things to say.

First, look ... seriously .... given your background, your interests and your screenname's real meaning (and I remember you telling me that reason after you first joined) it is NO surprise to me that so many birds came to you. They are very likely a totem-like guide for you on your inner journeys.

I talk to birds. In real life. I've just started really, in the past year or so. I am *sure* that each one of those birds you saw has a message for you to hear, so I applaud you for your ability to just sit down and *listen* to what they're trying to say. And I have no doubt that you will find those messages on your own. They will belong to you more that way.

...Some people never learn how to be quiet and listen for a change. So, good job!...

The figure in the doorway made me think VERY much of it as being a "touchstone" image of yourself. It was referenced within the context of the entire expereience as "a silhouette" that appeared just before a new image would come to you. This part of the vision seemed to have a psychically neutral energy, to act as a safe place where you could return between "visions." The symbolism of a figure of a man walking through a door into something unseen is obvious, yes.

The woman who reminded you of your grandmother was likely either her spirit, or, the essence of another who embodies your grandmother's role for you on your psychic journeys, however you perceived that role to be when she was alive. I dont know if any of that made sense, just PM me if not. Whomever she is, she may have come forward early on just to make sure you knew she would be with you as you continue your inner journeys.

I've not done much scrying, I've only had limited luck with it in the past. I hope you continue sharing what you've learned. It's fascinating to hear! :D

zorya

wonderful experience trogon!

i was intrigued by the owl looking into the orb just like you were.

owls, being creatures of the night, represent seeing that which others cannot. not only do they see what is hidden by the dark, they can view all the way around, in other words, they view the whole picture. i think this may have been a sign that you will be very suited to scrying! (btw, eagle also has incredible vision)

as far as guides, i believe that our ancestors help guide us. by asking to see your guides, it does not seem a surprise to see your grandmother. trust your instincts. if you felt this was your grandmother, than the odds are it was.

i believe we have several guides. there is usually one primary guide and other helpers. please be patient and trust that your guides will become clearer to you.

so often i see people assume a guide just because they may like that particular animal or such. the danger in this, is that once we think we know who our guide is, we close ourselves to other possibilities.

yes, an animal we are attracted to may be a helper or even main guide, but that is not necessarily the case. my guide was a total surprise to me. i wouldn't have guessed it! a guide will usually make itself very clear to you or appear repeatedly.

other helpers may be there for a moment or a lifetime. they may have one lesson to teach.

your whole scrying session struck me as a kind of encouragement and welcome. ...so many symbols of psychic 'vision', seeing beyond the veil or seeing the other side (represented by the doorway).

very exciting!

Trogon

Thank you all so very much for your replies, your ideas and your encouragement. Who would've thought I'd be starting this journey so late in life? It is nice to have encouragment from friends...

Zorya, very interesting thoughts on one, or a few, primary guides with assistant guides to help us along the way. It really struck a chord with me and makes a lot of sense. It is something that I'll have to watch for along the way... the occasionall "changing of the guard" every now and then.

Firemaiden... the thought of the doorway image also being my grandmother had occurred to me when she appeared. But when I thought it, I immediately felt that, no, this was a separate image... the silhouette in the doorway was definitely different from the woman. I feel that Alissa may have hit the nail on the head. Her comment that "this part of the vision seemed to have a psychically neutral energy, to act as a safe place where you could return between 'visions'" seems to ring true, especially in light of the recurring nature of this image. Almost as if it was the spot where I was in the overall vision, the doorway representing the next image, the next lesson to be experienced.

Ruby Red Slippers; I had also thought of the John Edward comments on the roses. Then again roses are so frequently used as symbols of love that, in western society, it almost verges on the universal. This is part of the reason that I was thinking the woman's silhouette was probably my grandmother. I really need to go through some old pictures and find one of her... then again, maybe I shouldn't. Don't want to prejudice my mind before my next session...

Thank you all again for you comments. So much to contemplate...

Trogon

Alissa...

Was looking over your post again, along with the others. Yes, I'd have to agree that I wasn't terribly surprised at the animal images either. I've grown up in the southwestern U.S. and always been interested, to one extent or another, with Native American customs and beliefs. Animals and nature have always had an intense fascination for me. I suppose that my interests in these things could very well have been triggered, to at least some extent, by the presence in my life of such spirit guides? Perhaps some of them have been with me for a long time...

Alissa

zorya said:
so often i see people assume a guide just because they may like that particular animal or such.

my guide was a total surprise to me. i wouldn't have guessed it! a guide will usually make itself very clear to you or appear repeatedly.
When spiders came forward as an animal totem of mine, my first response was, "Spiders? But I don't even LIKE spiders." I remember thinking that distinctly, so I love that you addressed that instinct, zorya.

Upon reflection, the spiders explained it to me. Spiders? How do I relate to spiders, thought I.

The spiders nudged me towards my *spinning* wheel, and gave me the look. (Then I started thinking about all the folk tales with spiders).

:D Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh~! :D