Let's Do Another Flotsam and Jetsam Swap!!!!

Witchy Woman

Are you certain that you've installed the needle correctly? There's one side of the top that's flattened. On most machines it should be on the back. Make sure after you've install the needle that you've tightened it nice and tight.

Yep, flat side is correct and i tighten it as tight as it can go...How much do needles cost? It came with several when I bought it. Some seem to be thicker than others...what is the width difference for and does it make that much of a diff? I mean, i get why some are real thick, that would be for like softer leathers i guess.

GryffinSong

Yep, flat side is correct and i tighten it as tight as it can go...How much do needles cost? It came with several when I bought it. Some seem to be thicker than others...what is the width difference for and does it make that much of a diff? I mean, i get why some are real thick, that would be for like softer leathers i guess.

There's no easy way to tell what your existing needles are for. When you buy them, you'll see a size listed, and a list of things that needle is good for. For instance, there are needles for jeans material, knits, lightweight fabrics, etc. If in doubt, ask a clerk. They should be able to help you match needles to your project. And, yes, if you're using too light a needle for your task you will definately be at greater risk to break some. I don't think needles are terribly expensive. If you have a Jo Ann Fabrics near you they often have 50% off coupons available, sometimes even online that you can download.

Good luck!!! :)

Edited to add: I just did a quick internet search and it looks like Singer needles (which will likely work on any machine) are about $3 for 4 needles. With a Jo Ann's coupon that's only a hair over 50 cents apiece.

Witchy Woman

I'm offering one reading with my Mighty Tiny, AKA Tiny Treasures oracle. Open to anyone in the general swap who has not yet had a "junk oracle" reading from me ... please let me know if you have a focus. :heart:

Hey, if you want and have time, do me, heres the question I asked at the Rune circle that jannee didnt get to?
What do I need to do to open myself up for improvement, to Receive the Romantic Relationship I have so longed for? -

Ok im off to Darts...woot.

Witchy Woman

There's no easy way to tell what your existing needles are for. When you buy them, you'll see a size listed, and a list of things that needle is good for. For instance, there are needles for jeans material, knits, lightweight fabrics, etc. If in doubt, ask a clerk. They should be able to help you match needles to your project. And, yes, if you're using too light a needle for your task you will definately be at greater risk to break some. I don't think needles are terribly expensive. If you have a Jo Ann Fabrics near you they often have 50% off coupons available, sometimes even online that you can download.

Good luck!!! :)

Edited to add: I just did a quick internet search and it looks like Singer needles (which will likely work on any machine) are about $3 for 4 needles. With a Jo Ann's coupon that's only a hair over 50 cents apiece.
kewl thanks. yes i love joanns...O and i noticed that the surface im sewing on, flexs a bit when the machine gets going really fast and that mite be maken the machine vibrate to much and the needle to wobbly maybe...idk. we will seee. thanks. gryff.

kaleanna

Hi kaleanna, thank you for letting me read for you. I hope something in here resonates. :heart:

Getting started on this reading was a little bit of a challenge. I couldn’t find my sea drake reading cloth, so I thought I’d use the one I’m making for Witchy Woman. Somehow it just wasn’t talking to me, so I ended up choosing a greyhound image that I’m working on.

First I want to say I absolutely adore the colors in the greyhound image. As it has my "color" in it. the one that is suppose to be for my birthdate, from colorastrology.

anyway, that is a lovely combination of colors!

I gently stirred the little treasures, picked up a few and tossed. All the pieces landed directly on the greyhound itself, by which I infer that at this stage, this is all about you and your own choices and desires, rather than about outside forces. Of course that could change eventually, but for now its in your hands.

Six objects:
- a silver dolphin
- a tiny clay dolphin
- a bead with waves on it
- a silver heart
- a jingle bell
- a star button

My first impression is wow, a lot of water energy. Fully half of the items are from the ocean. I think of depths, of emotions, of playing with new ideas. I think of trying new elements. Swimming in the ocean like the dolphin, is free, wild, instinctive. These two dolphins seem to be saying to let go of thinking, let go of structure, let go of standard drawing practice. Try some techniques to shake things up. 30 second sketches, drawing without looking at the paper, basically anything that takes you out of your normal routine and into uncharted territories. I’m reminded of the book “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.” If you haven’t read it, now is the time.

Yes there is alot of water energy. Don't think I have really ever done what would be considered "standard drawing practices" lol. But with that said, I really have not done anything like 30 second sketches, or drawing without looking at the paper. So definitely will try those. I have heard of the book but never read it.

Yes there are times that I do tend to "over think things". I think that I need to ease up on myself cause I can be my own worst critic. I think of dolphins as being playful as well as free, wild and instinctive. I think that I also need to take time to "breathe" don't push myself so hard as I have been doing (all the decluttering and such)

The heart, of course, implies that you need to follow your heart in this. Perhaps obvious, but so often we create what we think others want us to create. Spend some time truly looking within yourself. What would make your heart sing? Which brings me to the jingle bell. Music. This bell is near the heart of the greyhound, emphasizing the heart in this reading. Sometimes what we think we want truly isn’t. Does drawing dragons truly make YOUR heart sing, or are you doing it for the children? Do you truly love working in colored pencils? Or do they just happen to be the medium available to you? Look within for the answers. Don’t worry if they scare you. Don’t worry if you don’t know the answers yet. Don’t worry if you’re not sure how to begin. The key is simply to begin. Try some new things. Remember that the worst thing that can happen is that you waste a piece of paper. So what? Sometimes it takes a lot of wasted paper to get to what we truly want. This is YOUR creative life, and it’s worth some introspection and some experimentation in order to see where you want to go with it.

Right now with creating the dragons, I am having some fun with it.I think that I am doing it more for the inner child in me as well as listening to my intuition. I think it is helping with my creative flow.

As far as the medium, I like colored pencils however would love to try working with the watercolor pencils or even some type of paint, however I have the colored pencils, 2 watercolor pencils, crayons or markers to work with. Never really have been good with introspection though.

And finally, a star button, reminding you to reach for the stars. Wish upon a star. Remember your childhood dreams. Are they really so far out of reach? Or is there a small step you could take today towards that dream? This is not a time to worry about results or timing. This is a time to play like the dolphin, to dream like that child in the window looking up at the stars, to sway to the music that makes your heart soar.
That is I think what I tend to do at nite when the kids are in bed. Think about those dreams, about reaching for the dreams that seem to have eluded me a bit, I love to look at the stars and the moon.

Dream. Now. And write about it. I don’t think you’re going to get any concrete ideas right now about how to move forward. But concrete ideas are about logic and thinking. Art, and any creative effort, is about letting go of logic, of allowing our intuition, our dreams, and our instincts to have free reign. It feels to me that now, while you’re at home with young children*, is a time when you can afford to explore these feelings without the pressure of performing or success. You can simply play. Watch your children for hints. And perhaps late at night when you don’t know what else to do, stand at the window and wish upon a star.

*I forget if you have more than one child, but the message is the same.

Sometimes it is hard to let go and let the instincts have free reign, especially when there are daily stresses that want to intrude. I love to watch the kids play.

Will have to remember to take some time to "Wish upon a Star"

Thank you so much for a wonderful reading and one that has given me some things to think about.

((((((Gryffin)))))))

GryffinSong

You're very welcome, k! :heart:

Witchy Woman, I'm not sure I'll get to it today, but I'll read for you next. :)

linnie

I wanted to pass a shell to everyone, but they were alittle to big. Im not using them for the Future hermit crabs...really i guess i could probly get it off with nail polish remover. and then boil them. WEll thats just it, the sellers do now know that is poison to the crabs and a form of animal abuse. :)
What a strange thing for people to do, to paint shells for Hermit Crabs!!!! This is a world in which some odd people reside, for sure!!! :):(:)

There's no easy way to tell what your existing needles are for. When you buy them, you'll see a size listed, and a list of things that needle is good for. For instance, there are needles for jeans material, knits, lightweight fabrics, etc. If in doubt, ask a clerk. They should be able to help you match needles to your project. And, yes, if you're using too light a needle for your task you will definately be at greater risk to break some. I don't think needles are terribly expensive. If you have a Jo Ann Fabrics near you they often have 50% off coupons available, sometimes even online that you can download..
You are wonderful, GryffinSong, giving these online tutorings... truly... it is a very difficult thing having a sewing machine without an instruction manual... I've been there... I know!!! :):):)

Oh, on that point, Witchy, my other post about changing the pressure on the 'feed dogs' was a little bit wrong!! :(:) The spindle I mentioned isn't something that you wind cotton on (I just had my machine out literally for the first time in ages)... It is a stand-alone, purpose-made (elongated) button which controls the feeder-foot pressure, which needs to be changed according to the type of fabric you are using. You press that 'button' down for more pressure... if it is too heavy-footed, you press on the outer circle to release pressure ... :)

kaleanna

Here are two attempts Gryffin of the exercises. One was drawing with eyes closed (features added after I felt the drawing was "done") and then the other was drawn in about 30 seconds, with the features/coloring done afterwards.

Attachments

• drawing exercise attempt1.jpg
    drawing exercise attempt1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 46
  • wish upon a star1.jpg
    wish upon a star1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 49

Witchy Woman

kewl thanks. yes i love joanns...O and i noticed that the surface im sewing on, flexs a bit when the machine gets going really fast and that mite be maken the machine vibrate to much and the needle to wobbly maybe...idk. we will seee. thanks. gryff.

IM begining TO SEE WHY SHE SOLD IT. IT ALSO KEEPS GETTING MY thread COUGHT UP IN THE LOWER BOBBIN AREA..IM CONSTANTLY HAVING TO STOP, RIP IT UP, AND CUT THE THREAD, AND DO IT OVER AGAIN...THIS SUCKS BUTT!!! Why does it keep doing that..crap man, this is taken so much longer than it has to be.

Witchy Woman

You're very welcome, k! :heart:

Witchy Woman, I'm not sure I'll get to it today, but I'll read for you next. :)

No hurry darling. I waited a month for her to read for me....LOL. and didnt get it. :p