Mary K Greer's Books

Jes

I am contemplating giving in and buying Mary K Greer's,Tarot for yourself and 21 ways to read a tarot card.

I will be honest in saying that in the 12 years I have been reading tarot cards I have never, ever read a book on the subject. But these books have caught my eye (all AT's fault as they have those great reviews) LOL.

The reviews on AT about these books are very positive but I wanted some feedback from everyone here who has read/used these books.

Tell me what ya recon lol what are the good bits, the bad bits and the 'ummm' bits in them?

I feel that you never stop learning which is why I am looking at both, Tarot for you: to see things from a beginners eyes and compare to how I learnt, and 21 ways to expand and go deeper with my cards.

GryffinSong

This is so timely!!! I haven't read a tarot book in AGES, and just tonight started reading and studying "Spiritual Tarot".

I've gone through "Tarot for Yourself" several times and always get a lot out of it. Like any book on such a rich subject, I agreed with some stuff, disagreed with others, and learned a lot about myself and tarot. Honestly I don't remember what I thought of the other book, which might mean I didn't like it as well, or that I wasn't into reading/studying at the time I got it.

I've just ordered three books on tarot. Two focusing on personal growth: "Tarot for the Healing Heart" and "Tarot Shadow Work", and "Understanding the Tarot Court" by Mary Greer.

Books must be in the air!!! LOL

Patrick Booker

I bought 'Tarot For Your Self', 'Tarot Constellations' and 'Tarot Mirrors' back in the 1980s. 'Tarot Mirrors' is my favourite of the three, but they are all excellent, with a lot of practical exercises.

Patrick

AJ

there is a study group here for 21 ways, been going on for several years so you could read what they thought or did as you work your own way through.

you won't be tainted by reading a book...it's just paper and ink.

Laura Borealis

Jes said:
I will be honest in saying that in the 12 years I have been reading tarot cards I have never, ever read a book on the subject.
As an avid reader I am agog at the thought! :bugeyed: Have you used the LWBs? Looked up information on the internet? Or have you been reading the cards solely by intuition?

Back on the topic, I don't own the books you mention, but I've borrowed loads of tarot books from the library, and yes there are some out there that aren't that great. But Mary K. Greer's books are good (so are Rachel Pollack's and Joan Bunning's). I didn't use the workbook aspect since I was borrowing them from the library, but it looked useful, especially if you're the kind that can stick with it.

Teheuti

While I would enjoy just lurking, I should let you know that I am here. So, Jes, if you have any questions about my books, please ask. They aren't for everyone as my intent has always been to supply something that other books don't and to do it in non-traditional, primarily experiential ways of learning.

Also, I try not to mind criticism, especially if it is couched in terms of what works or doesn't work for a particular kind of person or need.

Mary K. Greer

Alta

My favorite Greer book (full of yellow stickies and notes) is Tarot Reversals. It goes into each card in wonderful depth both upright and reversed and makes the theory of reversed cards make a lot of sense.

Could not recommend it enough.

Alta

GryffinSong

Teheuti said:
...my intent has always been to supply something that other books don't and to do it in non-traditional, primarily experiential ways of learning...

THIS is what I most love about your work. That from the getgo we, the readers, are engaged in learning what the cards mean to US through experience. When I first got "Tarot for Yourself" it was eye-opening in every possible way. I'd never before found a tarot book that spoke to me. That's why I go through that book every few years, and every time I learn something new. :)

gregory

Alta said:
My favorite Greer book (full of yellow stickies and notes) is Tarot Reversals. It goes into each card in wonderful depth both upright and reversed and makes the theory of reversed cards make a lot of sense.

Could not recommend it enough.

Alta
OK - and MY favourite is 21 Ways - it is so - extending :D So many things you can do.

Then again - the way I read, it WOULD be, wouldn't it ! But it really is kind of liberating, just the same. Let us just say that a friend of mine, who had staunchly resisted buying ANY of Mary's books borrowed my copy- and then bought her own copy. If that ain't a tribute... :) I always feel it REALLY rates when someone buys a book they KNEW they didn't want, after looking at a copy properly !

Jes

Good Point Laura_borealis,
I have read the LWB's of the two decks I have, (well one is a companion book and one a LWB) but as a book worm myself, actual books written on tarot, I have not. Sad really as I devour a fiction book a night... and of course I have being using AT a source of information the past few month :)

AJ, you know, I found this shortly after posting, and Although it looks fascinating, I don't think I have the discipline to commit to it. Which means I think that Tarot For Yourself looks to be the more appealing book...

Teheuti! Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to ask some questions. I am thinking that if you don't mind, I will PM them to you. :)

Alta, thanks :) I'll keep that in mind.