Prefered Book? 3 to Choose From

Kosjitov

Good day! I had three titles come up from the local library that I would see myself investigating further for really getting to the core of tarot.

Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning
Tarot Theory and Practice by Ly de Angeles
78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack

If anyone has read the above, which would you recommend being the baseline for my study for **specific card meanings**? If you are unfamiliar with these books, what book and author would YOU recommend instead?

gregory

Of those three - Pollack. But thirteen's meanings, here and FREE, give you all the BASICS of specific meanings that you need ! (click learn, top right !)

I find Bunning too prescriptive. You need wiggle room.

Chiska

I'm with gregory - 78 Degrees of Wisdom is a great book. Learning the Tarot is quite rigid - doesn't seem to allow for really *feeling* what a card is trying to convey. And in case you weren't aware, the Learning the Tarot course is available on line free of charge from the author. Might give you a chance to preview to see if the style works for you.

And click the "learn" icon in the upper right of the screen ...there are many very good resources there.

Samurai2001

78 degrees -- definitely.

Miss Divine

Another vote for 78 Degrees!

graspee

78 degrees. It was the first book I bought when my interest in Tarot re-awakened.

jema

Pollacks book for sure, but why not her latest: 'Tarot wisdom' it's like an updated version of 78 degrees.

Kosjitov

Well, I think I know what my next "summer reading" victim will be then.

Thanks for the suggestions gregory, Chiska, jema. I'm just concerned about finding contradictions or too little/too much information and then having to "rewrite" my notebook on it so to speak. But it seems it must be done regardless. Ah well. I s'pose that's what days off are for, no? ;)

Thanks again folks.

gregory

You will find contradictions everywhere. Ultimately, read what you want (but not - well, a few notorious books... })) and then jiggle accordingly to fit your own mindset. I am she who found a positive marital outcome in 10 Swords once. Meanings aren't set in stone, even for those of us who use generic meanings (which I don't when I read from scratch - but that's not a subject for this thread !)

I don't keep notebooks. Having to change them is part of why (the other is sheer laziness, of course ! :D)

If you want to mess up your head - Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card is as "contradictory" as it gets - and great with it.(Not for the basic meanings, but to show you, in effect how many things can work.)