Georgius Gemistus Plethon

MikeH

Ross wrote:
Does Hankins really say that Filelfo attributes the Oracles to Zoroaster?
I replied that it wasn't entirely clear-cut what he was saying, and that I would go look up his "Text 30" when Hankins' book got back to the source library's shelves. It's back. It is a very long letter, 298 lines on Hankins' pages 515-523. On Hankins' pp. 321f I see the following paragraph:

Hankins521f.jpg

I don't know what it means, but I see both the words "Zoroastre" and "Chaldeos."

I notice also that Plutarch and Pythagoras are referred to. For this paragraph, in a note at the end of the letter, p. 523, Hankins identifies two sources, p. 523
250-271: Plutarchus, De Iside et Osiride 369E; Diogenes Laertius I, prol.

Then for lines 272-276 Hankins also mentions Diogenes Laertius, at III.8. I don't see the Chaldeans or Zoroaster mentioned in 272-276, so I didn't include those lines above. See the last link in this post for that passage.

It is nice to see that Hankins agrees with my hunch, that Filelfo was reading Plutarch's Isis and Osiris. 369E is section 46, where Plutarch describes the teachings of Zoroaster (http://www.mindserpent.com/American_History/books/Plutarch/C.html). I notice also that in section 48 Plutarch mentions the Chaldeans, in an astrological context; the Chaldeans were the Babylonians, thought to be the originators of astrology.

On-line I haven't found a Diogenes Laertius that gives the Greek page references; but I would imagine that the reference is to his Life of Pythagoras. I can't find anything called "Prologue." In section III, Hankins' second reference, about Pythagoras's time in Egypt, Diogenes says that Pythagoras "associated with the Chaldeans and the Magi." (http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/diogenes/dlpythagoras.htm). III also talks about his time on Samos; I see "Samium" on line 275 of Filelfo's letter.

Without a translation of the paragraph in Filelfo's letter, it is not clear whether he is basing himself on Plutarch and Diogenes Laertes only, or also something else (which I take Hankins to be saying on p. 93), such as Plethon's view that Zoroaster was the earliest philosopher, and one of those who represents the ancient philosophy.

So what is Filelfo saying here, about Zoroaster and the Chaldeans?

I notice that Idel for some reason refers to Plethon, Diogenes Laertius, and Plutarch in the same breath in reference to Ficino (http://books.google.com/books?id=CX06dsbZ_JIC&pg=PA137&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false, p. 141).
Ficino embraced some views of Plethon, and apparently also of Diogenes Laertius and Plutarch, which contributed to the turning away in the West from the earlier tradition concernnig a unilinear theory to embrace the hypothesis of two or more lines of transmission. (13)
His footnote 13 is to Hankins pp. 436-440, which doesn't mention either Diogenes Laertius or Plutarch, and to Allen Synoptic Art, pp. 1-2 "and the relevant bibliography cited there"; I don't have that book yet, but somehow don't think those pages will mention them either.

Hankins p. 436 does mention Timaeus of Locri, as the alleged author of a neo-Pythagorean work mentioned in De Differentiiis and translated by Filelfo. It was also translated by Tifernate in 1457 and hence possibly showing some influence by Plethon on Tifernate as well as on Filelfo.

If not in the paragraph I just posted, perhaps there is something in the rest of the letter that could be construed as showing the influence of Plethon. Here is the complete letter, including Hankins' source, on his pages 514-523.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gOulRT1TXk0/Toknfu93rUI/AAAAAAAADkc/mUcrJefXmzs/s1600/Hankins514and515.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LdrvDwfetck/ToknfrskMCI/AAAAAAAADkU/nM7n0OORTzY/s1600/Hankins516and517.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kfAy18B0zoQ/ToknfYc5eCI/AAAAAAAADkM/b0soHtZEgyQ/s1600/Hankins518and519.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eHqewOypM...ADkE/FkaaruO5Bv8/s1600/Hankins520+and+521.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-C7HVY9MTp...AADj8/1KGKz_wEP50/s1600/hankinsp522and523.jpg

Huck

I agree that the easiest way for Plethon's Chaldean Oracles and Commentary to get to Ficino was for Plethon to give them to Cosimo. But it seems strange to me that Cosimo would sit on them for 25 years.

Well, there's the factor of "hidden homosexuality" ....

Panormita is the author of "Hermaphroditos", which he had dedicated to Cosimo de Medici in the early 1420s. In the 1420s homosexuality sees to tron and far distributed, cause Bernardino preached against it with in intensiye manner.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pr...kQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=panormita cosimo&f=false

This book became part of a story about cardinal Cesarini, which was given in the biography by Vespasiano di Bisticci.
http://books.google.com/books?id=lyMQTgOuKUoC&pg=125#v=onepage&q&f=false
(the Panormita book was forbidden then, the possession of it could have nasty consequences; see p.128 ff., but p. 130-131 is missing, so see ...
http://books.google.com/books?id=8Rih--M_HFEC
... at p. 126).
The situation likely refers to the opportunity, that Cesarini stayed in Florence during the council, so the time, when Eugen had been pope (so "increased prohibition culture").

See also Hankins about it ...
http://books.google.com/books?id=BL...w#v=onepage&q=panormita homosexuality&f=false
... it's clear, that Platonismus had been also observed as a manifestation of homosexuality.

The intensity of actions against homosexuality (likely) is mirrored at least partly by the intensity of "prohibitions against playing cards", cause both depend on the factor "general liberality". The "law and order" and "more morality" fraction (manifested by the Franciscans around San Bernardino with her high helper Pope Eugen) dominated in Florence since 1434, cause Cosimo was interested to be the banker of the popes. Platonic interests had to wait ...

In 1458 we have the Pope-Pius-II-change ... Pius himself once had been a literary writer and his topics had erotic content. Although Florence had problems with this "pope from Siena", there's the clear indication, that this pope opened "new worlds". For Rome itself we've the foundation of the Academia Romana (c. 1461), and it's rather objective, that here homosexuality dominated. The Pope-successor Paul (1464-1471) attacked the academy (1468) and forbade it and one argument had been "sodomy", though it is doubted, that this was the true political reason.
Sixtus IV gave a new allowance and made Platina to the chief librarian in the expanding papal library project (who was in prison and even tortured in the time of Paul). Homosexuality between the members was again an open mystery.

So indeed Cosimo and the Florentine academy just followed the mood the time ...

Ficino recorded the following about the founding of the Academy:

"At the time when the Council was in progress between the Greeks and the Latins in Florence under Pope Eugenius, the great Cosimo, whom a decree of the Senate (Signoria) designated Pater patriae, often listened to the Greek philosopher Gemistos (with the cognomen Plethon, as it were a second Plato) while he expounded the mysteries of Platonism. And he was so immediately inspired, so moved by Gemistos' fervent tongue, that as a result he conceived in his noble mind a kind of Academy, which he was to bring to birth at the first opportune moment. Later, when the great Medici brought his great idea into being, he destined me, the son of his favorite doctor, while I was still a boy, for the great task."

Actually we see a young "boy" and an old "man" ... a somehow Socratic arrangement. Ficino didn't marry and we don't hear anything about women in his life, 1473 he turned to become a priest. As far I remember, there is some doubt that Cosimo took attention of Ficino very early (perhaps c. 1455 ?).
Cosimo's brother Lorenzo (the older) engaged in the Florentine intellectual interests, not Cosimo (and it was Lorenzo, who caused the council moving to Florence). Lorenzo died 1440, and then the 24-years-old Pietro (son of Cosimo; Lorenzo's son was just 10 years old) took this responsibility and sponsorship. For the time of Pietro as leader I've read, that Pietro wasn't so much interested in the Ficino project, but kept up some sponsoring - likely on a lower level, as Piero generally believed, that the Medici hadn't so much money (likely with right, as the finances of the Medici really became worse also in Lorenzo's time).

Also we see for the Medici (and Lucrezia Tornuaboni), that in matters of familiary literary interests Lucrezia first had the idea with the Morgante (1460/61) and then Cosimo the idea with Ficino and Plato (1462). Actually c. 1459 Giovanni Battista Alberti wrote his "educative text" for the young Lorenzo de Medici. But Lucrezia was interested already before in religious theater.

The slow start of the interest in Plato is only "strange", if we expect a large run for Plethon and Platon immediately - after Florence 1439. But there is no guarantee, that this was really so.

"Crethi and Plethi" have nowadays a negative meaning (at least in Germany, somehow like "Hinz and Kunz"), which it hadn't in its origin ...
http://www.crethiplethi.com/crethi-and-plethi/

A sort of Greek bodyguard for King David. So ... what means "Plethon" really?

The Janissary are regarded mainly as "bodyguards".

The Mongolian Hiashatar Chess game had the additional "Hia"-figure, which translates (likely) as "bodyguard". I suspect this version as having influenced the Trionfi game in c. 1465.

When he [Cosimo] got the Corpus Hermeticum, he wanted it translated immediately. That is quite a lapse of attention and memory, if he filed away the manuscripts and forgot about them. Yes, it is the easiest explanation. But I for one will keep searching. Maybe something will turn up linking Ficino's copy with Filelfo.

Filelfo wrote only a longer letter and mentioned Zoroaster, as far I understand it. Filelfo's critique on Florence and the Medici likely disappeared peu a peu, when he worked for Sforza and gave teachings to Galeazzo Maria. So there might have been some contact between Filelfo and persons in Florence, especially when Filelfo's adversary Poggio Bracciolini had died in 1459.

MikeH

Huck: Your point about the changed spirit of the times, in the early 1460s vs. earlier, is well taken.

As to Filelfo and Plethon, Ross is probably right in his assessment, that there is no sign of the Chaldean Oracles in the passage of the letter that he posted (and I posted later, from Hankins' book). Hankins on p. 523 only finds the influence of Plutarch and Diogenes Laertes. Also, in one post I misquoted "Chaldean mages" as "Chaldean images" (even though I also posted the actual page I was quoting); from that misreading, I had thought Hankins was referring to the Oracles.

What Hankins says on p. 93 is that he sees in the letter an enunciation of the "ancient theology" doctrine of Ficino;. Since Idel points to a passage in Ficino, written 1469, where Ficino seems to be deriving that from the Chaldean Oracles, I still would like to see the translation that Ross is working on of the passage in Filelfo's letter (even though I suspect, from what Hankins says, that Filelfo's considerations were quite different).

I am left wondering where the images of the child with the sun on the PMB card, and the two children with the castle on the World card, might have from. On the one hand, you have hypothesized elsewhere that the cards were gifts from the Medici, painted in Ferrara or thereabouts to Lorenzo's specifications, for the Sforza wedding of 1465. In that case, Lorenzo might have consulted Ficino first, and Ficino might have just been reading the Oracles and Plethon's comments.

On the other hand, Looking in Plutarch's "Isis and Osiris," which Filelfo seens to draw from in 1464, I see the following (http://thriceholy.net/Texts/Isis.html):
XI: ...neither do they [the Egyptians] suppose that the sun rises as a new born child out of a lotus, but it is in this way they picture the rising of the sun, enigmatically expressing that the solar fire is derived from moisture..

XLVIII. The Chaldeans hold that the gods belong to the planets, of whom two they call “doers of good,” two “makers of evil;” the other three they describe as intermediate and neutral...Empedocles calls the Beneficent Principle “Love” and “Friendship,” and frequently too, Harmony, “with glowing face,” ...

LI: ...they [the Egyptians] regard the Sun as the body of the Good Principle, the visible form of the Intelligible Being...
Since according to Diogenes Laertius, Pythagoras learned from both the Chaldeans and the Egyptians, if we combine these passages, we get the child with the sun.

Then someone later, directing Vieville, perhaps noticing Plutarch's reference to the Chaldeans, added the horse mentioned with the child in the Oracles.

On daemons, we have
XXV: ...But the good ones [daemons], on the contrary, Hesiod styles “pure daemons,” and “guardians of men”;—

“Givers of wealth; and with such royal power.”

And Plato terms this species “Hermeneutic” and “Daemonean,” a middle class between gods and men, conveying up thither vows and prayers from mankind, and bringing down from thence to earth prophesies and gifts of things good. Empedocles even asserts that daemons suffer punishment for their sins both of commission and omission:—

“Celestial wrath pursues them down to sea;
Sea spits them out on earth: earth to the rays
Of Sol unwearied: he to the eddying air
Sends back the culprits; each receives in turn,
And all alike reject the hateful crew:”

until having been thus chastened and purified, they obtain once more their natural place and position.
And so they go from earth to sun and down again, sometimes bearing prayers or prophecies, sometimes as punishment.

If the source is Plutarch, the two cards could have been inspired by humanists in either place, Milan or Florence; however we have a reference to the essay in question in Milan of 1464.

The inspiration for the cards could also be both Plutarch and Plethon. Or are there other likely sources for the children on these two cards? Some people talk about the "children of the planets" images as a source. But the "children" shown in those engravings and woodcuts are mostly adults.

MikeH

A postscript to my last post: Another reason for having a translation of the passage in Filelfo is to see whether he says that there is a single ancient philosophy or theology starting with Zoroaster and/or the Chaldeans, and if it goes through Pythagoras to Plato. Neither idea is in Plutarch or Diogenes Laertes, that I can see. If either is there--and Hankins on p. 93 does say, paraphrasing Filelfo, "Even Plato's doctrine of the Ideas had been borrowed from Pythagoras, who was himself following Zoroaster and the Chaldean Mages"--then there remains the question of whether he got them from Plethon, regardless of whether Filelfo knew about the Chaldean Oracles. I don't think the idea of such a single philosophy, the vaunted "Theory of Forms," from Zoroaster to Plato, was a common assumption in 1464. Ficino certainly didn't express it in 1463.

MikeH

Huck wrote,
Filelfo wrote only a longer letter and mentioned Zoroaster, as far I understand it.
Here is the passage from Filelfo, which I lifted from Ross’s earlier post. After that is Google’s translation, very garbled but perhaps you will get some sense out of it, until a better translation is available. Then I have a couple of actual quotes from Plethon, in English and Greek, for comparison:
Et huius quidem ideae inventor omnium primus, quotquot aut in Ionica aut in Italica claruissent philosophia, Pythagoras fuisse perhibetur. Secutus is quidem Zoroastren, qui bellum Troianum, ut Plutarchus refert, annis quinque millibus antecessit. Pythagoras enim ut caeteros omnis suae tempestatis, homines, formae venustate, atque praestantia mirifice adeo antecelluit, ut pro Appolline haberetur, ita divina quadam ingenii bonitate atque sciendi studio, cunctis mortalibus superior fuit. Quapropter ubi universam peragrasset Europam, quo undique, quicquid scitu dignum animadvertebat, acciperet, ductus tandem illustri fama sacerdotum, atque prophetarum, Aegyptiorum, profectus in Aegyptum, ubi simul cum lingua omnem illorum sapientiam didicisset, illud etiam intelligere visus est, Aegyptios eximiam omnem disciplinam a Magis, qui a Zoroastre fluxerunt, hausisse. Quare ad Chaldaeos se contulit, quo et Chaldaeos audiret qui astrologiae gloria habebantur insignes, et Magis quos apud illos versari acceperat congrederetur. Magorum igitur diuturna usus consuetudine non obscure intelligere visus est unum Zoroastren Persen, ut antiquissimum philosophorum omnium, ita etiam acutissimum, sapientissimumque fuisse. Quare ex illa hora, Zoroastris philosophiam amplexus est. Quam postea Plato quoque Pythagoreis usus et auctoribus et doctoribus est secutus. Manarunt in quam ab ipso usque Zoroastre philosopho, quae sapienter et peracute de Idea, scripta a Platone referuntur.
Google:
And this is for the inventor of ideas first of all, as many as, or in Italian or in claruissent Ionian philosophy, Pythagoras said to have been. Zoroastren he followed the war Trojan, as Plutarch relates, thousands of five years in advance. For all the rest of his storm as Pythagoras, men, the forms of beauty, and excellence are superior to so wonderfully, so that for Apollo should be, so the divine goodness, and of knowing a certain wit and zeal, and all mortals and the better one. Wherefore, where the whole of Europe and stores, which on every side, whatever worthy of observing knowledge, He should receive, at length, led by the illustrious reputation of the priests, and prophets, of the Egyptians, set out for Egypt, where at the same time with the language and knew all their wisdom, it was seen also to understand, all the Egyptians exceptional discipline from the Magi, who, from the Zoroastre gushed out, imbibed. Why he went to the Chaldeans, which he heard and the Chaldeans, who were distinguished for the glory of astrology, and more conversant with those whom he had received congrederetur. Magi, therefore, was seen for a long time to understand the use of custom is one Zoroastren Perses not obscurely, as the most ancient philosophers of all, so even the sharpest, sapientissimumque to have been. Wherefore from that hour, Zoroastris philosophy embraced. How authors and teachers, use, and after him Plato Pythagoras also followed. By him until Zoroastre Manarunt into which the Philosopher, which wisely and VERY SHARPLY of the Idea, written by Plato they are referred.
From an online Latin dictionary I get: Claruissent = related to “clarified”; Manarunt = flowed.

Now compare this to Plethon. Here are two pages from “Pletho’s Calendar and Liturgy,” by Milton V. Anastos, in Dumbarton Oaks Papers 4 (1948), pp. 183-305. It is from Part II, “Pletho and Islam,” section VI, “Pletho and Zoroaster.” I post the actual pages because it has the Greek (for Ross).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Dkg2_fWmBT4/TorEx_sVOdI/AAAAAAAADkk/98jvbjhLTLk/s1600/Anastos280.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-egnAAI_groc/TorExyqq71I/AAAAAAAADks/aFko4bf9FHg/s1600/Anastos281.jpg

Anastos’ sentence at the bottom of p. 281 ends on p. 282 with “...the Magi.” The sentence has a footnote, #490 “Festugiere, op. Cit. (n. 482 supra), 20-44. That book is La revelation d’Hermes Trismegiste, I, (Paris 1944).

When I compare these pages with what I think I see in Filelfo, and also with the Plutarch (Isis and Oriris 46-48) and Diogenes Laertius (Life of Pythagoras), I think I see the most similarities to Plethon. Certain phrases even seem to echo Plethon, like “the most ancient of all the philosophers” and “Plutarch says that Zoroaster...is represented as antedating the Trojan War by 5,000 years” or “Zoroaster lived 5000 years before the Trojan War” (although this phrasing is in Plutarch, too).

What I want to focus on in particular is Filelfo's attribution of Plato's theory of Forms to Zoroaster, which I think is in Filelfo's last sentence, and which Hankins repeats when he says, paraphrasing Filelfo
Even Plato's doctrine of the Ideas had been borrowed from Pythagoras who was himself following Zoroaster and the Chaldean mages.
The idea that the theory of Ideas can be traced back to Zoroaster is not in the passages from Plethon that Anastos quotes. The Platonic theory of Forms (Ideas in Greek) is, however, attributed to the Oracles in both Plethon's “Brief Explanation” and “Commentary” on the Oracles, e.g.
They call ‘spells’ (l. 55) the intellects linked to him and the separated Forms, which they also call the ‘inflexible upholders of the world’ (l. 57) (Woodhouse p. 53).
(The word Woodhouse translates by "spell" is the Greek "iynx.") And in the "Commentary," Woodhouse has the following in his mixture of quotes and paraphrase (p. 58):
The Father 'perfected everything' (l. 53), that is, he created the intelligible Forms, which he entrusted to the second god to rule over. ...The 'mental spells' (l. 55) are the intelligible Forms, 'conceived b the Father and themselves conceiving and moved towards conceptions by unspoken and voiceless wills'. The latter phrase means 'unmoved wills', for by movement is meant 'simply an intellectual relationship', and 'to speak' is taken to be a kind of motion. So what is meant is 'unmoved Forms'. The supreme intelligible Forms are called the 'upholders of the universe' (l. 57), and chief among them is the second god. In calling them 'inflexible', the Oracle has in mind the immortality of the Universe.
The question is, does Plethon anywhere else attribute the Platonic Forms or Ideas to Zoroaster? If not, then Filelfo is probably drawing on the "Brief Explanation" or "Commentary" for his own attribution of Plato's doctrine of Ideas to Zoroaster, as buttressed by what Plethon takes to be an actual Zoroastrian source.

Woodhouse has a whole chapter on the "Reply to Scholarios," which he says (p. 308) was probably completed in 1449. Scholarios himself first got it from others, so apparently it circulated among the Greek community. Woodhouse's presentation, like that of the "Commentary," is a mixture of quotes and paraphrases. Among the quotes we have (p. 284f)
the surviving oracles of Zoroaster are clearly consistent with the doctrines of Plato, totally and in every respect.
But this is not the same as saying that Zoroaster held the doctrine of Ideas. In fact, nowhere in the "Reply" is the doctrine of Ideas attributed to Zoroaster. Nor is it in the "De Differentiis", which Woodhouse translates in full. Plethon does attribute the doctrine of Ideas to Timaeus of Locris, a Pythagorean, in both places (based on a text that was actually written after Plato, according to modern scholars). But that is as far back as Plethon goes. Nor does Woodhouse mention Plethon talking about Zoroaster or Zoroastrians or Magi as holding the doctrine of Ideas anywhere else; I checked every reference to Zoroaster in Woodhouse's index. So it seems to me that Filelfo at least saw Plethon's Brief Explanation or Commentary, enough so that this point made an impression, even if he didn't have a copy personally. If he saw one of those, he probably also saw Plethon's Oracles themselves, which back up Plethon's attribution; that would probably have satisfied Filelfo that Plethon was on firm ground.

Now I will turn to another part of Huck's speculations. (Well, the first was actually Ross's, but Huck accepted it. I am not against speculations, let me make clear; until we have a translation of Filelfo, there is an element of speculation in what I am saying, too.)

Part II of Anastos’ monograph studies the question of Plethon and Islam exhaustively and finds nothing resembling anything Islamic in Plethon’s writings, with which Anastos seems thoroughly familiar. He also quotes a sizable chunk of the first of two letters by Scholarios, the source for the mysterious Elisaeus. Here is the page of Anastos that starts with a lengthy quote from the first letter.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0DD8HmOvEYg/TorRd5G89QI/AAAAAAAADk0/9nnR3JR71Kk/s1600/Anastos278.jpg

Anastos does not quote from the second letter, saying merely that it repeats the charges relating to Elisaeus. Woodhouse mentions that the second letter has one additional thing, that Elisaeus met his just end, being burned at the stake.

From the amount of detail in Scholarios’s account, and the Aristotelian leanings of this Elisaeus, I would think that Plethon would not have been making a joke about Elijah, and that Scholarios probably had this information before either of them ever saw Italy, unless Scholarios was fabricating it. But Plethon himself says, in the "Reply," that he learned about Averroes from "certain Jews." Here is Woodhouse's paraphrase (p. 284f). The part in quotes means he is directly quoting from Plethon:
I too learned of Averroes' views on the human soul from 'the better Italian philosophers and certain Jews';...

Also, I found some support of Huck's speculation that Ficino got his copy of Plethon's edition of the Oracles from Cosimo. D. P. Walker, in his book Spiritual and Demonic Magic From Ficino to Campanella argues that Ficino's interest in the Orphic Hymns was stimulated indirectly by Plethon. Plethon doesn't mention the Orphic Hymns anywhere, he says, but his own hymns are structurally similar and also are directed at Greek pagan deities. Moreover,
The theory of prayer with which Pletho introduces his hymns is remarkably like the theory of magic behind astrological music.
Walker then quotes from Pletho (I can give it if anyone wishes) and goes on to say
Pletho's hymns and rites, like Ficino's, do not aim at any objective effect on the deity addressed, but only at a subjective transformation of the worshipper, particularly his imagination.
Walker then speculates that the interest in the hymns, which he translated in 1462, came from Cosimo. Cosimo especially requested on his deathbed that Ficino bring his lyre, as I recall. Walker concludes (p. 63):
The transmission need not necessarily have been thorugh any writing of Pletho's, but may have been through Cosimo and other Florentines who listened to Pletho during the Council of Florence.
If the Orphic Hymns, in memory and spirit, why not also the Chaldean Oracles, in writing?

Another possibility is that Ficino may have had his interest in the Hymns (and maybe even the Oracles) stimulated by his Greek teacher in these years, John Argyropoulos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Argyropoulos) who George Holmes in The Florentine Enlightenment speculates was a follower of Plethon. He had been an emissary of the Despot of the Peloponnese (unfortunately this is all from memory, as I copied the wrong page at the library). But Plethon wrote an attack on him later for adopting the Latin rite, according to Woodhouse; and his translations are all of Aristotle. Cosimo is more likely.

Plethon's influence on the tarot via the Orphica is a topic we haven't looked into. I don't know if the Orphica's relationship to the tarot has been pursued. I see some possible connection between the "Phanes" material (http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Phanes.html) and the Marseille World card, and between the Hymn to Mnemosyne and the Cary Sheet and Marseille Star cards. That's probably a topic for later.

Huck

About Eliseus
-------------

Learned Jew at the court of Murad I. at Brusa and Adrianople during the second half of the fourteenth century. After a time he lost favor with the sultan, and was disgraced and exiled. He is identified by Franz Delitzsch with the author of the "Græcus Venetus" (see Jew. Encyc. iii. 188). His contemporary, Gennadius, complains that he was an unbeliever (Zoroastrian), probably because of his philosophical bent. Eliseus was the teacher of Georgios Gemistus Pletho (b. 1355), the teacher of Cardinal Bessarion, who presented the manuscript of the "Græcus Venetus" to the city of Venice.

Read more: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=292&letter=E&search=pletho#ixzz1ZtIFR86b

GRAECUS VENETUS. This is the name given to a Greek translation in manuscript of a large part of the Old Testament. The manuscript, also called Codex Venetus, was discovered in the library of St. Mark's Church, Venice. It belongs probably to the fourteenth or fifteenth century. The author seems to have been a Jew who translated direct from the Hebrew text, but compared earlier Greek versions. The books included are : the Pentateuch, Proverbs, Ruth, Canticles, Eccles iastes, Lamentations, and Daniel. The work was published in 1784, and again by O. Gebhardt in 1875. In some respects the translation " recalls that of Aquila, in its literality and the attempt to render Hebrew terms by Greek words of similar origin and derivation. It is, however, entirely independent of the earlier version " (A. S. Geden). See H. B. Swete, Intr. to the O. T. in Greek, 1900; A. S. Geden, Intr. to the Hebrew Bible, 1909.
http://www.cultureincontext.org/encyclopedia-of-religions/Graecus-Venetus.html

It doesn't sound, that Jewish Encyclopedia knew more than the two letters of Gennadius about Eliseus. Although they have details about Jews in Adrianople.
Gennadius, * c. 1400, isn't that, what I would call "contemporary" to Eliseus, being 40-45 years younger than Plethon.

Gennadius Scholasticos
----------------------

Gennadius himself ... he changed his mind twice rather radically.

Despite his advocating the union (and berating many of the Orthodox bishops for their lack of theological learnedness), when he came back to Constantinople, like most of his countrymen, he changed his mind, apparently at the behest of his mentor Mark of Ephesus, who converted him completely to anti-Latin Orthodoxy, and from this time till his death he was known (with Mark of Ephesus) as the most uncompromising enemy of the union. He then wrote many works to defend his new convictions, which differ so much from the earlier conciliatory ones that Allatius thought there must be two people of the same name (Diatriba de Georgiis in Fabricius-Harles Bibliotheca Græca, X, 760-786); to whom Gibbon: "Renaudot has restored the identity of his person, and the duplicity of his character" (Decline and Fall, lxviii, note 41).

After the fall of Constantinople, Gennadius was taken prisoner by the Turks. In administering his new conquest, 21-year old conquering Sultan Mehmed II wished to assure the loyalty of the Greek population and above all avoid them appealing to the West for liberation, potentially sparking a new round of Crusades. Mehmed therefore sought the most anti-Western cleric he could find as a figure of unity for the Greeks under Turkish rule - and Gennadius as leading anti-Union figure was a natural choice.
On 1 June 1453, just three days after the fall of the city, the new Patriarch's procession passed through the streets where Mehmed received Gennadius graciously and himself invested him with the signs of his office – the crosier (dikanikion) and mantle. This ceremonial investiture would be repeated by all Sultans and Patriarchs thereafter.

Gennadius fills an important place in Byzantine history. He was the last of the old school of polemical writers and one of the greatest.

An then (later) he burnt the book of his opponent Plethon ....

A somehow not really reliable character. But it seems, that he wrote a lot.

Reading through that, what is known from our modern perspective about the time before 1402, then it was a game between cat (Osmans) and mouse (Constantinople). The dog (Timur Lenk) changed the course of the development. The Osmans had to sort themselves for a new run and this were long years. All this was part of the memory of Plethon, but not part of the memory of Gennadius. Plethon got his 90 years, still mentally active, in a time, when the average age had been perhaps 40. Who could repair Plethon's wrong memories, if he had such? Surely not Gennadius.

Gemisthos alias Plethon alias Themistius alias ????
-------------------------------------------------

We're not in a situation to judge, if "Eliseus" is a sort of fiction or real. We've the phenomenon, that Gemisthus - with an excellent education and with some talent for administration - could somehow escape till 1407 the "books", although already 47-52 years old (an age, when a lot o people are already ready with their career. Well, that somehow seems to be only explainable, if he went before with another name.

Born in Constantinople about 1355, died in the Peloponnesus, 1450. Out of veneration for Plato he changed his name from Gemistos to Plethon. Although he wrote commentaries on Aristotle's logical treatises and on Porphyry's "Isagoge", he was a professed Platonist in philosophy. Owing, most probably, to the influence of Mohammedan teachers, he combined with Platonism, or rather with Neo-Platonism, the most extraordinary kind of Oriental mysticism and magic which he designated as Zoroastrianism.

Catholic Encyclopedia also believes in "Mohammedan teachers". The article is not very well, but it contains an interesting detail:

In 1465 his [Plethon] remains were carried to Rimini and placed in the church of St. Francis, where an inscription, curiously enough, styles him "Themistius Byzantinus".

A real "Themistius" existed ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themistius
... a man in high esteem by the famous Emperor Julius the Apostate.
Even a letter from Julian to the philosoph Themistius survived:
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/julian_apostate_letter_to_themistius.htm

Now we have with the Chaldean oracles a father Julian and a son Julian, and somehow both are considered the authors. Then we have notes about the Chaldean oracles - as I've presented them earlier - which somehow all trace back to the region of Apamea or Apameia in Syria. Curiously we've then a third Julian (the emperor with the great pagan interests) arriving in the Syrian region and having a great war against "Persia" somehow, which he doesn't survive (and this event seems to have caused, that the Chaldean Oracles written by Julian got some international fame). Julian died with a "You have won, Galilean" on the lips, according to legend, and the whole operation was styled by later history as the great finish of the Pagan world.

Saint_Mercurius_killing_Iulian.jpg

And we have as an observable detail, that the difference between 355-363 (Julian's active time first as a successful army leader, then as full emperor) and 1355-1360 (Plethon's alleged date of birth) are just "1000 years".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_the_Apostate

Plethon, a little bit obsessed by the "Chaldean Oracles", had likely reincarnation ideas ... the Chaldean Oacles are - at least in my impression - similar to ideas in the Tibetan book of death. Plotinus - a famous Neoplatonist in 3rd century ...

After spending the next eleven years in Alexandria, he then decided to investigate the philosophical teachings of the Persian philosophers and the Indian philosophers around the age of 38. In the pursuit of this endeavor he left Alexandria and joined the army of Gordian III as it marched on Persia. However, the campaign was a failure, and on Gordian's eventual death Plotinus found himself abandoned in a hostile land, and only with difficulty found his way back to safety in Antioch.[/uote]

... is said to have had an interest and still believed, that human souls could incarnate in animals (as earlier Pythagoreans), but later Neoplatonists refused this latter animal idea, but possibly accepted the basic ideas of reincarnation.

If Plethon realized his personal "1000 years after Julian", he might have gotten the idea to be the reincarnated Themistius ... and perhaps it was a reason for another change of name (after Giogios Gemisthos and Plethon and the only suspected "name before Gemisthos"). But naturally ... it might have been only Malatesta's idea that Plethon was Themistius. Or that of another person in Rimini.

Reading the letter from emperor Julian to the real Themistius gives the impression, that this just might be part of Pro-Julian (or pro-Themistius) propaganda. Themistius is somehow "styled" as the "Aristoteles" of Julian (Aristoteles was teacher of Alexander). Julian is presented "very friendly" and "very humble" ... that looks "rather idealized".

added later:

Ficino (1492) notes Plethon and Themistius as two different persons in one sentence ... it is reported here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=t7...ed=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=themistius&f=false

I searched for a picture of the tomb of Plethon:

themistius.jpg

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...rile_2004_01.jpg&filetimestamp=20060325185141

I read "IEMISTII BYZANTII" and think that "I" at beginning (in Latin) is easily "G" (elsewhere, Ieronimo is Geronimo etc.) , so there is a Gemistii Byzantii ... Gemistius Byzantium.
I would assume, that this Themistius is just "wrong reading". Or? Any opinion?

Ross G Caldwell

Interesting speculation about "Themistius", but the Catholic Encyclopedia article is clearly wrong about the inscription saying "Themistius". It's just "IEMISTII BIZANTII", it's certainly an "I" not a "TH". I assume it stands for the pronunciation "Jemistos" (soft g before the e).

You can see it on your picture, but here's the one I took when I was there, where it is clear that it is an I, there is no degradation, and there is no room for any missing letters.

plethontomb.jpg

A full sized version of the whole tomb is here -
http://www.rosscaldwell.com/images/filelfo/plethontomblg.jpg

"The remains of Jemistus of Byzantium, Prince of the Philosophers of his time; Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta son of Pandolfo, Commander in the Peloponnesian war against the king of the Turks, on account of the immoderate love of learning with which he burns, has them brought here and placed within. Accomplished 1465."

kwaw

There remains the question of whether either Ficino or Filelfo had access to the Proclus In Rem Publicam, with its imagery evocative of the PMB Sun card. If ithis work was in the Laurentian library in 1492, surely Ficino knew about it, at least late in life, and others after him. I have no idea whether Filelfo did, or when.

I haven't read all the way through so maybe this has been answered already - I see Ross has referenced Hankin's p.93 - turn over to p.94 and there you will see a reference to Proclus's commentaries on Plato's Republic in note 163:

...Filefo depends on Proclus, In Remp., a copy of which he owned (Calderini, "Richerche". p.384)*

http://books.google.com.tr/books?id=BLgfAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have the second edition btw of Hankins Vol.1 if there is anything in it you need not accessible on google : unfortunately I do not have volume 2 with all its source material and index.

Kwaw
* presumably - Aristide Calderini, "Richerche intorno alla biblioteca e alla cultura greca di Francesco Filelfo' Studi italiani di filologia classica 20 (1913)" ??