Georgius Gemistus Plethon

MikeH

For reference in what follows, here is the last part of Filelfo:
Thus afterwards Plato in his turn made use of Pythagoras and was followed by various authors and doctors. They spread, according to what came wisely and acutely from Zoroaster the philosopher himself concerning Idea, writings which are referred to by Plato.

It seems to me that Filelfo has the idea that the doctrine of the Ideas came from Zoroaster the philosopher himself. Whether Filelfo is saying that this doctrine is expressed in writings of Zoroaster himself, or in writings of the Pythagoreans, is not clear to me. But there is clearly the idea that the doctrine of Ideas is from Zoroaster. What other source, besides Plethon, says this? Not Proclus, as you describe him, Kwaw. Not the Alcibiades, Ross.

I don't have jstor either, but there are a few libraries near me. One had the 1979 article Kwaw gave a link to the first page of, Jill Kraye's "Francesco Filelfo's Lost Letter De Ideis." In lieu of the lost letter, she focuses on an unfinished work by Filelfo written a little later that probably said much the same thing. She writes
At the end of 1474 Filelfo showed part of De morali disciplina to Donato Acciaiuoli and other humanists in Lorenzo's circle, and he confidently expected that they would give Lorenzo a glowing report.
She cites a letter of Filelfo's to Lorenzo of 7 Dec. 1474; Lorenzo was in Pisa when Filelfo dropped off his manuscript passing through Florence. He was hoping to get an appointment from Lorenzo with what he considered suitable renumeration. In 1475 Filelfo did get such an appointment in Rome and never finished the work. He finally took the job in Florence in 1481, at lower pay than he had hoped, but died at age 83 a few weeks after moving there.

Kraye introduces the work as follows:
In composing De morali disciplina Filelfo recycled material which he had written previously. For example he took the passage on the divisions of the soul almost verbatim from a letter which he had written in 1444 to Ciriaco d'Ancona. [Fraye's footnote says 31 Oct. 1444.] More to the point, the set piece on Ideas is a concise and polished version of a letter of 1464 to Domenico Barbarigo. The discussion of Ideas in this letter, written nine years before De ideis, contains the same arguments based on the same sources as the section on Ideas in De morali discipline, which Filelfo composed not long after De ideis.
Kraye then reproduces the Latin text of De morali disciplina with her commentary, emphasizing Filelfo's sources.

All this would seem promising for our endeavor here, except that for the relevant sentences, Fraye merely identifies Plutarch's Isis and Osiris 369E, for the 3rd to the last sentence of the De morali disciplina, corresponding to the 2nd to the last sentence in the letter (adding in her Commentary Diogenes Laertius viii, 3), which we already knew, and adding one bit:
the reference to the Ionian and Italian schools of philosophy probably comes from Diogenes Laertius, e.g. i. 13-14.
She has no sources whatever for the end of the De morali disciplina, corresponding to the last sentence of the paragraph of Filelfo's letter.

However the wording of these sentences in the De morali disciplina is somewhat different than in the letter. Here is the end of De morali disciplina:
Sequutus is quidem magis doctores, quibus cum apud chaldaeos congressus est, et Zoroastrem philosophorum omnium primum, quen Plutarchus tradit antecessisse bellum Troianum annis quinque milibus. Sed haec de Idea, et quid, quotuplexque sit, et quo pacto secundum Platonem accipienda, nos dixisse sufficiat. Nunc eo redeamus unde digressi sumus.
More for you to translate, Ross! I notice that he does not mention Zoroaster and Plato in the same sentence this time. Is he distancing himself from his earlier position? Fraye says, in her conclusion
...although Filelfo paid lip service to the belief that Plato's theory of Ideas derived from Pythagoras and ultimately from Zoroaster (271-80), his account of Platonic Ideas is much closer to patristic and medieval than to 'ancient' theology.
If he was merely paying 'lip service' to a popular idea, then, perhaps Fraye is thinking, we shouldn't expect him to have a source. But it wasn't a popular idea in 1464.

I await a translation.

For reference, here is my scan of the page of Fraye's edition of De morali disciplina I am drawing from, in case I made any typos:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0pdJgyTFjg8/To6dCfy6WfI/AAAAAAAADlM/zlqlQi8PiIk/s1600/Fraye243.jpg

Otherwise, Fraye does identify specific sources at various points in the de morali disciplina: pseudo-Plutarch, De placitis philosophorum, i. 10, 882; pseudo-Timaeus of Locri, De mundi animo et natura (the work is cited by name in De morali disciplina, whereas the letter had only the philosopher); also Augustine, De div. quaest., xlvi, 2. These are the main ones for the Ideas. There is also Cicero, Orator 18, from which he draws rhetorically; the Satura, I think of Juvenal, vii, 53-57; Seneca's Ep. 65, 7 and 58, 18-21; and for odds and ends, Plutarch's De gloria Atheniensium 346A and An seni respublica genda sit, 786b-C.

Perhaps one of the first three I mentioned will have something about Zoroaster. But I doubt it, if he indeed is backing off what he said earlier.

It is clear that Filelfo's main subject, here as in the letter, is Plato's theory of Ideas, which at the end of the letter he attributes to Zoroaster. Here is one more thing from Fraye:
ll. 131-268. Filelfo's description of Plato's theory of ideas is based almost entirely on 'Quaestio XLVI. De ideis' in St. Augustine's De diversis quaestionibus octoginta tribus.. See PL xl, Paris 1887, cols. 29-31; also critical edn. De visisis quaestionibus, ed. A. Mutzenbecher (Corpus Christianiorum, Series Latina, xliva), Turnhout 1975, pp. 70-3.
Filelfo even puts Augustine's words in Plato's mouth, Fraye says.

Unless something else comes up, we are still left, for Filelfo's still unnamed source in the letter, with Plethon's comments to his version of the Chaldean Oracles.

Huck

http://books.google.com/books?id=jK...onepage&q=plethon arabic translations&f=false

plethon-arabic.jpg

kwaw

In his commentaries and his (syncretic) theologies Proclus regularly seeks to conciliate Plato with Orpheus and the Chaldean Oracles. For example from Timeus (the Pythagorean)*:

For the ideas, or four monads of ideas, prior to the fabrication of things subsist intelligibly ; but the order of forms proceeds into the Demiurgus; and the whole number of ideas is one of the monads which he contains. Orpheus also indicating these things says, that the intelligible God [Phanes] was absorbed by the Demiurgus of wholes. And Plato asserts that the Demiurgus looks to the paradigm, indicating through sight intellectual perception. According to the theologist, however, the Demiurgus leaps as it were to the intelligible God, and as the fable says, absorbs him. For if it be requisite clearly to unfold the doctrine of our preceptor, the God who is called Protogonus by Orpheus, and who is established at the end of intelligibles, is animal itself with Plato. Hence it is eternal, and the most beautiful of intelligibles, and is in intelligibles that which Jupiter is in intellectuals. Each however is the boundary of these orders. And the former indeed, is the first of paradigmatic causes; but the latter is the most monadic of demiurgic causes. Hence Jupiter is united to the paradigm through Night as the medium, and being filled from thence, becomes an intelligible world, as in intellectuals.

Plato, therefore, admitting a Demiurgus of this kind, suffers him to be ineffable and without a name, as having an arrangement prior to wholes in the portion of the good. For in every order of the Gods, there is that which is analogous to the one. Such therefore is the monad in each world. But Orpheus gives a name to the Demiurgus, in consequence of being moved [i. e. inspired] from thence ; whom Plato himself likewise elsewhere follows. For the Jupiter with him, who is prior to the three sons of Saturn, is the Demiurgus of wholes. After the absorption therefore of Phanes, the ideas of all things shone forth in him, as the theologist (Orpheus) says :

Hence with the universe great Jove contains,
Extended aether, heav'n's exalted plains;
The barren restless deep, and earth renown'd,
Ocean immense, and Tartarus profound;
Fountains and rivers, and the boundless main,
With all that nature's ample realms contain
And Gods and Goddesses of each degree;
All that is past, and all that e'er shall be,
Occultly, and in fair connection lies,
In Jove's wide belly, ruler of the skies.

Jupiter however, being full of ideas, through these comprehends in himself wholes - which the theologist (Orpheus) also indicating adds:

Jove is the first, and last, high-thundering king,
Middle and head, from Jove all beings spring.
Jove the foundation of the earth contains,
And the deep splendor of the starry plains.
Jove is a king by no restraint confin'd,
And all things flow from Jove's prolific mind.
One mighty principle which never fails,
One power, one daemon, over all prevails.
For in Jove's royal body all things lie,
Fire, night and day, earth, water, and the sky.

The Oracles likewise assert the same things of him as (the Pythagorean) Timaeus. For they say, " The father of Gods and men placed our intellect in soul, but soul in sluggish body." But this is the admirable thing celebrated by the Greeks, concerning him who is according to them the Demiurgus. If however these things are asserted conformably both to Timaeus and the Oracles, those who are incited by the divinely delivered theology [of the Chaldeans] will say that this Demiurgus is fontal; that he fabricates the whole world conformably to ideas, considered as one, and as many, and as divided both into wholes and parts, and that he is celebrated as the maker and father of the universe, and as the father of Gods and men by Plato, Orpheus, and the Oracles; generating indeed, the multitude of-Gods, but sending souls to the generations of men, as Timaeus himself also says.

Phanes, therefore, thus unfolding himself into light from the occult Gods, antecedently comprehends in himself the causes of the secondary orders, viz. of the effective, connective, perfective, and immutable orders; and also contains in himself according to one cause, all intelligible animals. For he excites himself to the most total ideas of all things. Hence also, he is said [by Orpheus] to be the first of the Gods, and to have a form. But he produces all things, and unfolds the intelligible and united causes of things, to the intellectual Gods.

Kwaw

*Timeus - whom Proclus declares to be a Pythagorean:

"According to my opinion therefore, these things are first to be considered; that Timaeus being a Pythagorean, and preserving the form of Pythagoric discussions, is immediately exhibited to us as such, from the very beginning.

...After this manner therefore, we must say, that Timaeus being a Pythagorean, follows the Pythagorean principles. But these are the Orphic traditions. For what Orpheus delivered mystically through arcane narrations, this Pythagoras learned, being initiated by Aglaophemus in the mystic wisdom which Orpheus derived from his mother Calliope. For these things Pythagoras says in The Sacred Discourse."

Proclus commentaries on Timeus were widely available during the middle ages and renaissance. Taylor's translation is available as a pdf doc here:

http://ia600501.us.archive.org/12/i...ry-on-the-Timaeus-of-Plato-all-five-books.pdf

Huck

I'm not sure, if this is an old coin

http://labelledamesanssouci.wordpre...e-byzantine-empire-and-the-italian-renaissanc

40-56.gif

... but at the council 1438/39 the medal producer Pisanello was around and made - for instance - a coin portrait of the Latin Emperor. As the coin has a date of death for Plethon,it can't have been at the council, but perhaps this prtrait is a copy of a lost picture or lost medal.

Medals1.jpg

Another image of not clear origin:

plethon.jpg

http://atlantipedia.ie/samples/george-gemistos-plethon-new/

The same image - a little larger - is titled Platon, but in the underline it is given to Plethon

sv_46a-Gemistos_Plethon.jpg

From a Russian page:
http://bdn-steiner.ru/modules.php?name=Coppermine&file=displayimage&album=61&pos=45

An image of the council 1438/39

image003.jpg

http://www.syropoulos.co.uk/councils.htm

The Latin emperor to the left is well recognizable.

MikeH

Thanks for the Proclus quotes, Kwaw. Even though he does not mention the Ideas per se, they are implied in his references to "Intellect" etc. However there is no mention of Zoroaster here.

It would also be nice to have verification that Filelfo owned Proclus's commentary on the Timaeus, although as you say it was readily available even in the medieval period.

Kwaw wrote (earlier)
And while Proclus in his commentaries on Plato gives predominance to the Chaldean Oracles, he also makes references to the mysteries and hymns of Orpheus (Taylor for example references Proclus 24 times in his Mystical Hymns of Orpheus).

A scholiastic note included in Plato's Alcibides also recorded notes on the life of Zoroaster - and in his commentary of Plato's Republic Proclus also reports that sections of the Republic, including for example the myth of Er, were claimed to originate with Zoroaster. So it is possible, depending on what access he had to the works of Proclus, that Filelfo would have found sufficient in proclus alone for himself to trace a 'common theology' akin to (but maybe not quite so formulated as in) the later defined prisca theologia of Ficino or perennial philosophy of Steun - that connected moses, zoroaster, orpheus, plato...

It would be nice to see quotes from Proclus's commentary on Plato's Republic that show that Proclus, as you say, "reports that sections of the Republic, including for example the myth of Er, were claimed to originate with Zoroaster." My reason is that while it may be possible to find in Proclus the idea that the Ideas originated in the writings of Zoroaster, Plethon's exposition of that view looks so much more accessible and even in its wording closer to Filelfo. Also, Filelfo was coming from an Augustinian view of the Ideas, which I presume was somewhat different. But perhaps Proclus is equally accessible; it depends on how it is said.

It would also be worthwhile to see how close (on the page) in Proclus's commentary this material is to the Oracle about the boy and the horse.

I can see how someone might think, aided by Proclus, that the myth of Er, attributed to Zoroaster, contains in mythic form the doctrine of Ideas. In Cornford's translation of x. 615:
And on the fourth day afterwards they came to a place whence they could see a straight shaft of light, like a pillar, stretching from above throughout heaven and earth, more like the rainbow than anything else, but brighter and purer.
The light from above heaven and earth is an Orphic/Chaldean image for the Ideas.

Huck

Mikeh - long ago in this thread - pointed to ...

The Cardinal Bessarion greets Andronicus and Demetrius, the children of learned Gemistus. I learned that our common father and teacher has deposited everything earthly and gone to heaven, to the site of every purity, to join the choir of the mystical dance of Jacco [id est the Dionysus of the Mysteries of Eleusis - ed] with the Olympian gods.

... and to ...
http://www.ritosimbolico.net/studi2/studi2_22.html
“È indicativo il fatto che il codice Vaticano greco 2236, che contiene l’Oratio e testi del Pletone e del Bessarione sia scritto da Demetrio Rhallis, allineato sulle posizioni di Gemisto Pletone, presente a Roma nella seconda metà del secolo, fino alla sua morte” (Di Caprio, op. cit., p. 405). Su Demetrio Rhallis (grecizzazione del nome normanno Raoul), cfr. R. del Ponte, Tra i seguaci di Gemisto Pletone. Un aristocratico greco-normanno adoratore del Sole e un “martire pagano” del XV secolo, in “Arthos”, n° 12 cit., pp. 208-209. Per il cripto-paganesimo del Bessarione, cfr., sempre in “Arthos” n° 12, pp. 210-211, In lode di Giorgio Gemisto Pletone. Lettere del cardinale Giuseppe Bessarione in occasione della scomparsa del filosofo e maestro (1452). Nella Lettera ai figli di Gemisto si legge: “Il cardinale Bessarione saluta Demetrio e Andronico, figli del sapiente Gemisto. Ho appreso che il nostro comune padre e maestro ha deposto ogni spoglia terrena e se n’è andato in cielo, al sito di ogni purità, per unirsi al coro della mistica danza di Jacco [id est il Dioniso dei Misteri di Eleusi - ndr] con gli dèi olimpici”.

The both Plethon sons Demetrios and Andronicos Gemistos [Gemistos as family name] appear also here ...
books.google.com/books?id=0Sz2VYI0l1IC&pg=PA33
plethon-son-1.jpg

... and here ...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/53798799/Byzantium-Between-the-Ottomans-and-the-Latins
plethon-son-2.jpg

.. and here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=rU...CCAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=brysis plethon&f=false
plethon-son-3.jpg

plethon-son-4.jpg

The trouble of this is, that I don't find a confirmation, that these locations "village of Brysis" and "kastrum of Phanarion" are really at the Peloponese, which naturally might depend on the condition, that the names in this region had not much stability and that "research in these Greek contexts" is much more difficult than for Italy.

On the other hand a location Brysis was found on some distant mountains in Thracia between Edirne and Constantinople, just a region, where - if Plethon really went to the court of Edirne once - the story of Plethon would have some logic. It got lost to the Ottomans somehow in the 1360's, and what it had been in the changing times from 1402 till 1453 is difficult to say (at least for me and my current state of research), as occasionally the Constantinople Greeks helped the Osmans to recover (so possibly some earlier conquered territory had been given back for some time. Nowadays it has the name
Pınarhisar an is found as this by google maps. Here is a report about the history of Brysis

.... In 1332 Matthew was appointed
administrator of the metropolis of Brysis in Thrace. He described his first encounter
with the city in a letter to a correspondent: it is small in size and its houses are low—
which probably means single-story—and not very numerous. The inhabitants are peasants
and cattle farmers, but also artisans, meat sellers, and grocers. Fish and fishmongers,
however, are completely unknown. Nor does there seem to be a physician.
Often the city’s inhabitants are forced to eat the fruits of the fields while they are still
unripe, with unsalutary effects on their health.
The portrait we get is thus of a country town that lived above all from agriculture
and livestock breeding, but that also had a variety of artisans and merchants. The
complete absence of fish on the local market and the utter dependence on the local
harvest seem to indicate that economic ties to other towns and regions were poorly
developed. The only thing that does not quite fit into this picture is the special mention
of meat vendors, for the local demand is unlikely to have been large enough. However,
the capital was only a few days’ journey from Brysis, and perhaps this small inland city
was among the outlying towns that supplied Constantinople with food.
http://www.doaks.org/publications/doaks_online_publications/EconHist/EHB18.pdf

Some information about the peace treaty of 1424 indicate, that Constantinople had no
control about this region at least since then.

kwaw

The following might be of interest, p.138 and notes re:Filelfo, Zoroaster, Pletho etc.,

I am in the midst of transcribing it and google translating it but have to go out now - but hopefully Huck may better relate what it says (and save me the trouble of making a probably erroneous translation) ?

esp. note 181 re; January 1429?

http://books.google.com.tr/books?id=gBzyaezyN60C&pg=PA138#v=onepage&q&f=false

Huck

The following might be of interest, p.138 and notes re:Filelfo, Zoroaster, Pletho etc.,

I am in the midst of transcribing it and google translating it but have to go out now - but hopefully Huck may better relate what it says (and save me the trouble of making a probably erroneous translation) ?

esp. note 181 re; January 1429?

http://books.google.com.tr/books?id=gBzyaezyN60C&pg=PA138#v=onepage&q&f=false

Stausberg notes, that Filelfo wrote already in 1429 about Zoroaster ("Oratio de laudibus historiae, poeticae, philosophiae" noted as "Una prolusione inedita di Francesco Filelfo" - Strausberg, footnote 279, p. 137/138; Stausberg refers to "Gualdo Rosa").
The text is noted here at this webpage ...

Aprì il corso di lezioni, con molta probabilità, con un'enfatica prolusione De laudibus eloquentiae, mentre il 24 ott. 1429 tenne una praelectio, poi rimaneggiata nel 1467 dal figlio Giovanni Mario, De laudibus historiae, poeticae, philosophiae, forse introduttiva ad un corso su Cicerone. Il programma didattico esposto al Traversari costituisce, comunque, un impegnativo ma volutamente propagandistico piano di lavoro, non esaurito, certo, nel 1429, ma ripreso anche negli anni successivi, prevedendo la lettura di opere e di autori assai diversi: ...
for more see the webpage
http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/francesco-filelfo_(Dizionario-Biografico)/
... announcing something, what Filelfo wants to talk about in his lessons in Florence, if I interpret this correctly (Filelfo had arrived in Florence in April 1429), likely an oratio held before a lot of people.

Filelfo's letter to a single person in 1464 had likely a less important relevance.

I think, we have to assume that Zoroaster had been already in the general scholar talking, when Filelfo had been in Greece. He came back 1427 and had a lot of manuscripts, 29 years old - and with a Greek wife, Theodora, the daughter of John Chrysoloras, who had been nephew to Manuel (or Emmanuel) Chrysoloras.

Perhaps one should assume, that his wife had ALSO some sense for Greek philosophy and literature.

kwaw

I think, we have to assume that Zoroaster had been already in the general scholar talking, when Filelfo had been in Greece.

Thanks Huck, that is along the lines I was anticipating/suspecting...

Thanks for the Proclus quotes, Kwaw. Even though he does not mention the Ideas per se,
they are implied in his references to "Intellect" etc. However there is no mention of Zoroaster here.

Well - re: ideas ~ more than you think, I think: I have bolded some lines in my post: however, in a general or literal sense you are right, but you need to take into account the terminology is not the same between Plato, Orpheus and the Oracles - but Proclus interprets certain concepts and terms as synonymous, and treats Orpheus and more especially the Oracles as authorities, and draws analogies between them to affirm his interpretation of Plato, including analogies between Orpheus, the Oracles and the concept of Platonic 'Ideas'.

While there is no mention of Zoroaster in my quotes directly, there are quotes from the the Chaldean Oracles - which I suspect even in the early 15th century to a man like Filelfo who had spent several years studying Greek and collecting Greek texts in Constantinople is as equivalent to "Zoroaster says" as it was in the second half of the 15th century in the latin west.

kwaw

So it is possible, depending on what access he had to the works of Proclus, that Filelfo would have found sufficient in proclus alone for himself to trace a 'common theology' akin to (but maybe not quite so formulated as in) the later defined prisca theologia of Ficino or perennial philosophy of Steun - that connected moses, zoroaster, orpheus, plato...

If I am understanding it right (I paraphrase, I am not up to a literal translation) Michael Stausberg in Faszination Zarathushtra: Zoroaster und die Europäische ..., Volume 1 p. 136 - 139 says that:

Filelfo, in keeping with the ancient philosophers he studied, had pronounced eclectic and syncretic tendencies harmonizing the ideas of Plato, Aristotle, the Stoics and Epicureans, but is most strongly influenced by Augustine. Like Ficino his criterion for evaluating ancient philosophy was through its conformity with Christian beliefs and values and the its usefulness to living a public life. The study of Plato was for him justified both for his relevance in civil affairs and understanding of divine things...

Filelfo independently reconstructed a tradition of prisca philosophia, one which, though it is not as elaborate as that of Ficino, points in the same direction and bears unmistakable analogies with it - and that applies in principle also for the construction of Zoroaster as the first, oldest, wisest and most astute philosopher, to whom the ideas of Plato can be traced, through the mediation of Pythagoras...

Stausberg notes:

277 Epistola de opinionibus philosophorum Ed. Hankin 516: "Pythagora, qui est secutis Zoroastrians."

279 Hankin 521: "Secutus is [= Pythagorus] Zorastren quidem, qui bellum Troianum, ut Plutarch [De Iside 46] referet, annis quinque millibus antecessit. "He repeats this dating likewise from Plutarch in his De morali disciplina14. But he quotes him too in 1429 in the 'Oratio de laudibus historiae, poeticae, philosophia' 1429, in Gualdo Rosa, "Una prolusione inedita di Francesco Filelfo del 1429"...

280 See ibid Filelfo "Aegyptios eximiam omnem disciplinam a Magis, qui a Zorostre fluxerant, hausisse."

281 In einer Oratio aus dem Jahre 1429, in der Zoroaster bereits als Furst der Mager bei den Persern erwaht wird, legt sich Filelfo noch nicht auf eine Reihenfolge fest, 'Oratio de laudibus historiae, poeticae, philosophia, editiert bei Gualdo Rosa, "Una prolusione inedita di Francesco Filelfo del 1429", 304-323, hiier 317.

When I compare these pages with what I think I see in Filelfo, and also with the Plutarch (Isis and Oriris 46-48) and Diogenes Laertius (Life of Pythagoras), I think I see the most similarities to Plethon. Certain phrases even seem to echo Plethon, like “the most ancient of all the philosophers” and “Plutarch says that Zoroaster...is represented as antedating the Trojan War by 5,000 years” or “Zoroaster lived 5000 years before the Trojan War” (although this phrasing is in Plutarch, too).

If I am reading Strasbergs notes right, the Plutarch quote along with "Aegyptios eximiam omnem disciplinam a Magis, qui a Zorostre fluxerant, hausisse" appear in the 1929 lecture : not sure what "Zoroaster bereits als Furst der Mager bei den Persern erwaht wird, legt sich Filelfo noch nicht auf eine Reihenfolge fest' means? That Fifelfo has Zoroaster as the first Magi of the Persians, but does not have the {antique philosophers?) in a set order?