Matthews' Arthurian Tarot -- Still Used?

gregory

;) I have a horrid reason for loving the case . . . my extended family had so many religious instruction sets housed in their shelves, that I get a thrill out of having a tarot in mine. :laugh:

My set-boxes are on shelves...

Aerin

I haven't got a plastic cased one.

I have the slipcase with the journal and so-on and I have a red cardboard boxed affair (my first one, bought new in c. 2001/2 ish). Also the white borders in a cute box with a dinky book.

PathWalker

A red cardboard boxed affair????

This is my question - is there a red cardboard boxed thing? (yes, there is if you've got one) and what is it like? Who published it, what date, all that sort of thing - it appears there are several different versions, even allowing for black borders and white :)

Oh, do tell Aerin - please!
Pw x

Elendil

Mine was also a red cardboard box featuring the same images as on the red paperback book that is in the pictures already posted here. I now only have the paperback book. The cards got mislaid in a clearout 15 years ago. The paperback book claims it is an Aquarian Press printing from 1990 (bought in Manchester city centre, as I recall).

Morwenna

I had the red cardboard box, with the book shown. I still have the deck and the book but the box has gone the way of all things ages ago. I never saw the need for keeping that outsize box; it was the first deck I had that came that way. Deck is in my bedroom right now; book inadvertently went off to storage... :(

fyreflye

This is a lovely deck and I've always quite liked it, but R J Stewart's Merlin Tarot, illustrated by the same artist but with a far more interesting back story and Qabalah interpretation, has always been my preferred Arthurian deck.

PathWalker

This is a lovely deck and I've always quite liked it, but R J Stewart's Merlin Tarot, illustrated by the same artist but with a far more interesting back story and Qabalah interpretation, has always been my preferred Arthurian deck.

I have that deck, but not called to work with it in the same way as the Arthurian (I'm following the year-long Hallowquest)

Nice to be reminded of it though, although I remember struggling with the Qabalah and other aspects - they didn't resonate with me in the same way.

Pathwalker :)

PathWalker

I had the red cardboard box, with the book shown. I still have the deck and the book but the box has gone the way of all things ages ago. I never saw the need for keeping that outsize box; it was the first deck I had that came that way. Deck is in my bedroom right now; book inadvertently went off to storage... :(

Well at least we know there was a red cardboard version :)
All I have to do now is find one for myself :)

Sorry to hear about the book & storage!

Thanks for the info though
PW x

Faolainn Storm

I have just about every edition of this deck ever printed.

Red plastic "video" case - Aquarian 1990 - 1st printing
Red cardboard slipcase - Aquarian 1990 - ? printing (seem to have lost this one's book)
Red cardboard slipcase - Thorsons 1995
Cardboard box with journal - Element 2002
Deck only new edition - Gary Allen 2006

I can't say I have noticed a difference in colours between the various original editions - except with my first copy which is significantly worn. But there is a definite difference in coulor between the original black bordered edition and the new white bordered edition. The new edition is brighter, slightly sharper and slightly bluer. But I still prefer the black bordered ones.

Not only is this one of my favourite decks but for me the best tarot version of the Arthurian myths
FS

Aerin

A red cardboard boxed affair????

This is my question - is there a red cardboard boxed thing? (yes, there is if you've got one) and what is it like? Who published it, what date, all that sort of thing - it appears there are several different versions, even allowing for black borders and white :)

Oh, do tell Aerin - please!
Pw x

It's published by Thorsons, and refers to the earlier 1990 Aquarian Press version. It says published 1995 and comes packed with The Arthurian Tarot: A Hallowquest Handbook.

The box is the sort where the contents slide out from the bottom, there's a well for the cards and the book sits neatly on top. yes a slipcase but open from a short side not the long side. The colours look pretty good to me...

The "extra card" in the deck advertises the Hallowquest book "also available from The Aquarian Press".

Yes, I have the Elements one with the journal and the new white border one. So the one I'm missing is the plastic case one.

ps I got the Merlin at the same time, wonderful Majors but Stewart put them in a "new system" and the pips are pips not scenic. I could never be bothered to learn the new system and the cards don't grab me like the Hallowquest does. I hated the Legend one with its Hollywood people and dull Minors and traded it away - never regretted.