essential tarots, books and tools (or help me with my shoping list)

Minotauro

so Im from mexcico and ordering a bunch of tarot related stuff from the U.S. through amazon.

thoth tarot
liber t. tarot of stars eternal ( a thoth clone with ilustrrated minors)
golden tarot of klimt
crystal tarot
original rider waite tarot

and some books

pictorial key to the tarot
understanding aleyster crowley thoth tarot
78 degrees of wisdom
and tarot for yourself

is there something else I should get? Im asking because the shipping is probabbly going to be more expensive that some of the stuff themselves and Im just a poor college student :C and I've saved and researched long and hard for the stuff Im gonna order and I dont wanna regret not having bought this or that later!

Minotauro

this is because in mexico my tools and decks are very limited ( I have never even seen a thoth IRL) in here if people read cards is either: some weird cheap crapy "egiptian" cards or the "spanish" cards (those 2 read mostly by santeria practicers and holy death worshipers) I've seen like maybe 2 rw versions at the most and believe me I'VE SEARCHED! and though mexican online sites a regular common and not so good decks could cost me from 50 to 80 dolars. needless to say tarot isnt very common here ._. and I've never heard of a tarot reading that costed more than perhaps 5 dolars at the most and that's at the very least an hour or more. it isnt easy reading tarot in mexico lol.

pacificwaters

so Im from mexcico and ordering a bunch of tarot related stuff from the U.S. through amazon.

is there something else I should get? Im asking because the shipping is probabbly going to be more expensive that some of the stuff themselves and Im just a poor college student :C and I've saved and researched long and hard for the stuff Im gonna order and I dont wanna regret not having bought this or that later!

Well I am currently reading 78 degrees of wisdom myself...and I would say from what I have scourged on the net that it is a very good book for tarot readers...something like a must have (Personally I find it interesting too) ...Another book that I saw which had great reviews was the "Tarot for your self"... I just ordered it for myself yesterday...From what I have read on this forum this is a good book...I guess these two you have already ordered :)

The next book that I plan to buy for myself is "The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination" considering that tarot books are not easy to get in my country.... From what I have read about this book, it has been recommended by many.. even here on AT...and whats more it is on the top 3 of the Top 10 books for Tarot....

In case you havent check out this list of Top 10 books from AT
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/topten.shtml

You could do some research about it yourself too and buy it if you have the funds and want to add more to your shopping cart!

ann823

Minotauro, have you looked at the Book Depository? They have good prices and free shipping to Mexico.

cardlady22

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/tarot-dictionary/
Pictures from the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary by Sandra Thomson is available in Kindle format now. You can get the Kindle Reader for PC if you don't have the device.

I also like these:

Mystical Origins of the Tarot: From Ancient Roots to Modern Usage by Paul Huson
Tarot Dictionary and Compendium by Jana Riley

Oh, and Mary Greer has a reworking of her info from Tarot Constellations coming out:
Who Are You in the Tarot?: Discover Your Birth and Year Cards and Uncover Your Destiny

WolfyJames

The new Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack is a good one too.

Elendil

In no particular rank order these are the books I have learned most from (and have not regretted the investment):

Learning the Tarot Joan Bunning (also available FREE online)
78 Degrees of Wisdon Rachel Pollack
Tarot Wisdom Rachel Pollack
21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card Mary K Greer
Tarot for Your Self Mary K Greer
The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals Mary K Greer
Understanding the Tarot Court Greer and Little
Tarot Decoded Elizabeth Hazel

moonweaver

Hi there. I recommend the following:

Decks:

Universal Waite Tarot (RWS clone that you may find more attractive than the original)

Books:

The 2-Hour Tarot Tutor by Wilma Carroll **cannot recommend this enough**
Learning the Tarot Joan Bunning (is also free online)
78 Degrees of Wisdon Rachel Pollack **incredible depth and insight on the cards
Tarot for Your Self Mary K Greer **awesome - you cannot get through this book and not know the tarot intimately by the end

Minotauro

Hi there. I recommend the following:

Decks:

Universal Waite Tarot (RWS clone that you may find more attractive than the original)

Books:

The 2-Hour Tarot Tutor by Wilma Carroll **cannot recommend this enough**
Learning the Tarot Joan Bunning (is also free online)
78 Degrees of Wisdon Rachel Pollack **incredible depth and insight on the cards
Tarot for Your Self Mary K Greer **awesome - you cannot get through this book and not know the tarot intimately by the end

the universal is a little bit too pale or soft for my taste , perhaps the radiant! but I dont know I also like that it is the closest to the original colours and the original fleur de liz back design =P I dont know I cant make up my mind lol too many choices XD

moonweaver

the universal is a little bit too pale or soft for my taste , perhaps the radiant! but I dont know I also like that it is the closest to the original colours and the original fleur de liz back design =P I dont know I cant make up my mind lol too many choices XD

It is hard to choose! The Radiant colors are awesome and it is very pretty. But the faces leave a bit to be desired. They seem a bit . . . blank. Some how, even though it seems a bit pale, the Universal feels a bit "deeper" and truer to the original RWS. Actually, you could try the pocket size Universal Waite. Because the cards are smaller, the pictures and color are a lot sharper and richer. And the cards are a nice size - portable, but not too small. But I'm sure you could be happy with either choice.