Recurring Shadow Man Dream??

Bumpy_Boo

Hello all :)

I have always been a vivid dreamer, but for the past few months I have been having the same dream.

In the dream, I wake up - it is contextual, i.e if I am at home when I have the dream, I wake up at home IN the dream, but if I am in my partner's house, I wake up there in the dream. (I hope thats clear, it seems kind of convoluted, reading it back)

Anyway, I wake up in my dream, and there is someone in the room. Well, I say 'someone', but all I can make out is a black silhouette. The figure moves through the room, and sometimes comes over and stares down at me. It feels so real. Every time it happens I am terrified, because at the time, I think I am awake. No matter what I do, I cannot move. I am thinking 'wake up!', and then right when I really start to panic, I am awake, and the figure is gone.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I am usually okay with dream interpretation, but this one has me stumped :(

celticnoodle

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I wonder if you are experiencing sleep paralysis while also having an OBE and not an actual dream of a shadow person as you think? I could be and may be very wrong, but perhaps this is what is happening.

If a dream, I looked it up in a dream dictionary for you and it states that if you see a shadow figure in your dream, it can represent things in your own persona that you have not accepted yet. Now, above I mention OBEs. It could be possibly that you are experiencing this maybe and you are coming back to your body and just looking at it first. I am guessing here. I really do not have any idea, but that just came to me when I read your post.

Bumpy_Boo

*googles sleep paralysis* :) Wow, thank you, celticnoodle (epic name) that does actually help a lot. A lot of the signs of sleep paralysis seem to match what I am experiencing - especially since i noticed that a lot of people describe a feeling of horrible dread, terror almost. I never heard of this before, my experience is only with interpretation.

Thing is, you mentioned OBEs. Growing up, I had plenty of 'dreams' where I could look down at myself sleeping, here I could look around the room, but the details were always a little screwy, i.e words in books would not come into focus etc. I haven't really ever looked into it before. Do you know much about it?

Thank you for your help,

Beth
-x-

celticnoodle

Thing is, you mentioned OBEs. Growing up, I had plenty of 'dreams' where I could look down at myself sleeping, here I could look around the room, but the details were always a little screwy, i.e words in books would not come into focus etc. I haven't really ever looked into it before. Do you know much about it?

Thank you for your help,

Beth
-x-
Well, I am relieved to hear that it does make sense to you. I've never experienced sleep paralysis myself, so unfortunately I do not know much about it. I have experienced OBEs and astral travels and such, but even with that there is not much I can tell you, really. The best piece of advice I can give you is to do more google searching (don't ya just love google?!) and read all you can on astral traveling, OBEs and sleep paralysis. Also doing a search here on AT for those same things may help you out too. good luck!