Help with computer programming?

KMilliron

This isn't as random as it seems. I take two online course, one that I love (web publishing) and one that I currently loathe (computer programming)

I thought about it and the reason I don't like computer programming is because it is, in my opinion, more work with less result. I can take web publishing and use it on a day-to-day basis by doing free amateur web and graphic design for local bands. I'm working on user input in programming now and thought I may be more willing to practice if I did something tarot related.

Any ideas on a *simple* and input related program I could write?

Aset

What language(s) are you learning? Is this your first experience with programming?

Aset

Okay... I have no idea if this is something you could do yet, it's hard to gauge your knowledge level since the depth of introductory courses can vary wildly. But you could do something like set up a TarotCard class where each instance (each card) has data about things like elemental/astrological associations, upright and reversed interpretations, etc. Say you start your driver program and initialize an instance TarotCard for each card in the deck and store them in an array. You can have the user either input the name of a card to view the information about it, or they can enter a number and whichever card is stored at that index in the array will be displayed. It will give you practice with input, string matching (if you are comparing titles), error handling, the object-oriented paradigm, etc.

Edited to add: if this makes any sense and you are interested in doing something along these lines (kind of a tarot study program), feel free to ask if you have any questions about anything

KMilliron

Okay... I have no idea if this is something you could do yet, it's hard to gauge your knowledge level since the depth of introductory courses can vary wildly. But you could do something like set up a TarotCard class where each instance (each card) has data about things like elemental/astrological associations, upright and reversed interpretations, etc. Say you start your driver program and initialize an instance TarotCard for each card in the deck and store them in an array. You can have the user either input the name of a card to view the information about it, or they can enter a number and whichever card is stored at that index in the array will be displayed. It will give you practice with input, string matching (if you are comparing titles), error handling, the object-oriented paradigm, etc.

Edited to add: if this makes any sense and you are interested in doing something along these lines (kind of a tarot study program), feel free to ask if you have any questions about anything

I could actually do that, haha. It'd take a while. I may just do majors only.

Aset

Let me add too to give it time. Once you become more comfortable with it and learn it more in-depth, you may really love it. I do :) And I think it goes beautifully with many kinds of esoteric studies. I may just be a raging geek, but recursion excites me on a spiritual level.

KMilliron

Let me add too to give it time. Once you become more comfortable with it and learn it more in-depth, you may really love it. I do :) And I think it goes beautifully with many kinds of esoteric studies. I may just be a raging geek, but recursion excites me on a spiritual level.

It may just be me not liking the switch between my native tongue (html) to this. I just don't feel it, haha.

Aset

It may just be me not liking the switch between my native tongue (html) to this. I just don't feel it, haha.

You may actually prefer a lower level language, like assembly language. It's not my cup of tea but some people strongly prefer it and never really come to like higher level languages like Java.

JSNYC

Java, yuck! :)

Aset's idea is the best and it would be quite simple. One function on application load to load the array of TarotCard classes. The next function on user input to find and display the information in the selected class. However, unlike Aset I would use a combobox and restrain what could be "inputted" by the user. Thus, circumventing the string matching code by using the index in the combobox as a pointer into the array. (That is, unless using a textbox is necessary for the project.)

KMilliron

Java, yuck! :)

Aset's idea is the best and it would be quite simple. One function on application load to load the array of TarotCard classes. The next function on user input to find and display the information in the selected class. However, unlike Aset I would use a combobox and restrain what could be "inputted" by the user. Thus, circumventing the string matching code by using the index in the combobox as a pointer into the array. (That is, unless using a textbox is necessary for the project.)

Haven't gotten to comboboxes in my class yet.