Intensive Deck Study - Newly Started

yukinkoicy

IDS - Shapeshifter Tarot

Okay, so I have tried to do this twice before, but never even got past the first card each time. The first time because life interfered and I lost interest in tarot in order to cope with the changes. The second time, before I even got to start my cards told me to stop reading for a while, wisely as it turned out because I ended up having a near-death experience and then life just kept throwing crap at me over and over again.

This time the cards are eager to be studied, I can tell by how my deck feels, so this time I am hoping to be sucessful!

My "Rules":

*One week per card unless I already understand it very well already - if I feel I haven't gained enough out of a particular card at the end of a week, extend it to as long as I need to gain the understanding I want, but spend at least one week on each card. Even ones I am not that fond of.

*After finishing my readings, I will find the card of the week, pull it out of the deck, and place it in the front of the deck. When I need to do a reading, the card just gets shuffled back into the deck.

*I will type out all the information that is in the book for the card of the week on the first day I am studying that card.

*Both the card itself and the typed out information will be studied/looked at/gazed upon for however long I feel is necessary at least once a day for the duration of my study of that card.

*I will go in order starting from the first card of the deck to the last; no skipping around and jumping back and forth.

*I will do my best to have lots of fun on my IDS journey!

---

The deck I am doing is the only deck I have now, the Shapeshifter Tarot. Aka Sam/Sammy. Sometimes she's a girl, sometimes he's a guy, and sometimes it is neither or both; very fitting for a deck with the theme it has. I've had other decks but never used them very much and they have been given to more appropriate owners. This one owns my heart and soul, so I am very much looking forward to my IDS.

yukinkoicy

I just finished Initiation and am now starting on Sorcerer, which is exciting. The reading I did this morning had Initiation in it! I'd say what a coincidence but I don't believe in them when it's like this. I was worried about not being able to keep the information from the cards I study in my head, and then Initiation comes up? No freakin way it's a conincidence. Sammy is telling me not to worry, he'll keep me on my toes and help me retain the knowledge.

Trying to balance when to do readings while I am doing IDS is difficult, but I think I can get started by doing readings at least just before I start a new card, and then working onto doing them back on a daily basis again, even just pulling a card to meditate on and take a lesson from during the day.

It doesn't help that nowadays I feel more like reading for others than myself and I have a very limited number of people I can confidently read to, I'd check the reading exchanges but I feel so inadequate as a relatively new (again) reader. Yeah overall I've been reading for about a year, and about four not counting the breaks, but I feel sorta unworthy... Iunno maybe I'll check it out anyways.

ETA I checked it out anyways and upon finding out that I can do exchanges for feedback I posted a thread. It's nerve-wracking in a good way.

yukinkoicy

Week 2 repeat!

I really did not focus enough on Sorcerer this past week - I was preoccupied with my shiny new readings I was doing and lost track of what my IDS was about - I actually do feel I have a better understanding of Sorcerer but not enough for me to move to Sorceress. So imma spend another week or few days on it. Depends on how long it takes for it to really gel with me. Sometimes I feel like I know it well enough but others I don't, and with Initiation I just knew all the time that I really knew it deeply.

So yeah my first extended period card; I'm actually looking forward to my first short period card but no doubt that'll be a while, I don't think I really innately know any of the Majors very well yet, unlike several of the Minors.

DesertDream

Is this the most recent decks study? I could not find a more recent one. But ill post here if it is.

swedishfish612

I've been wondering if anyone was doing this. I'm not quite ready to do it, but considering it for the fall.

DesertDream

I am! I cant decide between oracle or tarot deck yet. But id like to do this with most of my decks eventually.

swedishfish612

I've been working intensively with the RWS for the last month, but I actually do my daily draws with a different deck. I find it hard to entirely use just one deck, all the time. So I do Deck of the Week and switch out which deck I use for daily draws. But with everything else- longer spreads, reading for others, studying, etc.- I'm using RWS. I really want to know it inside and out and be 100% confident with it.