the number twelve

gonesavage

i am researching for a video project my man is putting together based around the number 12. he is looking for anything and everthing that refers to it, however obscure or even ridiculous.

can anyone offer any connections?

our list ranges from the absurd to the mudane to the esoteric and back again... 12 months in a calendar year, 12 buttons on a telephone, 12 labors of hercules, etc. anything goes.

so feel free to be creative :)

gonesavage

LaLa

I could only think of 8

the 12 days of Christmas
12 signs of the zodiac
Shakespeares play "12th Night "
the imperial system is based on the number 12 isn't it? (dozen pennies to a shilling)
12 apostles (new testament)
12 tribes of Israel (old testament)
"12 good men and true" in a jury

Umbrae

In the Norse/Teutonic system, twelve is a number of wholeness and being. There are 12 Gods and 12 Goddesses.

Twelve is a construct of threes and fours, both sacred in their own rights. Twelve cannot be studied without looking at three and four. When multiplied by each other, they make twelve, a truly sacred number. The twelve apostles, the twelve signs of the zodiac, a perfect orange, a hung jury…

Diana

12 Knights of the Round Table
Jacob had 12 sons
In the Apocalypse, the celestial Jerusalem has 12 doors, next to which are 12 angels.
The Hanged Man of the Tarot.
The letter "L" (12th in our alphabet)
12 inches in one foot
12 tones in an octave (I think.....)

Gerbear

12 troy ounces in a pound of gold.
12 Federal Reserve Districts (USA)
12 is the first 'abundant' number(sum of divisors, not including
the number is greater than the number)
12 is the number of edges on a cube and octahedron

Minderwiz

Without directly adding anything extra, can I perhaps stress the importance of the Solar connection - 12 months or 12 signs to the Zodiac.

I think that a lot of the Biblical references to 12 sons, 12 tribes, 12 disciples are based on the Solar connection. The Sun passes through 12 signs in a year - a complete revolution, encompassing all of the (originally) known universe - 12 is thus all encompassing, from start to finish - it is a number of completeness.

january

How fun!

December is the 12th month
Pisces is the 12th sign
12 apostles
North Carolina is the 12th US State
Magnesium is the12th element
people whose birthdays have a "12"
twelve year-olds
buildings and addresses with "12"
midnight and noon
a dozen
the dirty dozen
1+2=3
twelve-step programs
the square root of 12 is 144
and....

12 ounces in a bottle of beer :)

jakyle

twelves

12 step programs..........................12th grade.Senior year of high school.......(and your answer..if its a password you are looking for............)
12 equals 3 which would be c for cain and third letter of alphabet.....(wooopie I'm really stretching it...)
look at the twelve post you do,and see if you find some more ideas....anagraming twelves and see what is in there.......elves,sweet,elves,seel,we le tvs

or we have the clocks..noon...midnight............................

gonesavage

wee!

had to step away from the computer for a few days, i come back to see all of these beautiful 12s... thanks!

12 function keys on a keyboard
12 buttons on a touch tone phone
chapter 12

(i especially like 12 ounces in a beer :) )

gonesavage