Odins Rune Poem

Penthasilia

What a coinkidink! I just got The Nine Doors of Midgard, and last night I pulled out 3 sets of runes to figure out which set works best for the book. Anyway, this thread is a wealth of info. I look forward to waking up and understanding.

Thanks DB!!!

Excellent book!

You will not be disappointed.

Blain's book is great- but pricey. Thank goodness for the kindle edition :D

Flaxen

I have often wondered if this particular rune poem is talking about rune charms (bindrunes) rather than individual runes. That could be quite an interesting investigation in itself - what runes would you combine together to achieve some of the effects in the poem?

Dancing Bear

Well flaxen it is looking that way.. I can match about a dozen runes to the poem but the rest , It is hard to do..
I am in touch with a Scholar of Norse Mythology, he has a few books out etc.. I am in th e midst of talking to him about this poem and what he thinks about it..Hoping to hear from him soon,
He is actually going through the poem Verse by verse and interpreting it so that the modern man can understand..
Quite interesting spin really..

I have actually assigned one key word to each Stanza..and then attached the rune that suites..

still 4 to go.. those are the ones i do believe could be bind runes.

Milfoil

The word ween in the first line of the 1st poem:

ween

verb (used with object), verb (used without object) Archaic.
to think; suppose.
to expect, hope, or intend.
Origin: before 900; Middle English wenen, Old English wēnan to expect; cognate with German wähnen to imagine, Old Norse væna, Gothic wēnjan to hope, expect
Related forms
un·weened, adjective
Can be confused: wean, ween.

Also the English term for weaning off something, to change from one state to another, to grow and move into a different level (from baby to child).

Milfoil

I've never looked into this before so forgive me if I am learning ground which you have already covered in your studies.

This Book by Henry Adams Bellows offers some interesting comments about many of the verses and specifically what interested me was the fact that the '1st' verse is actually at the end (following stanza 165) in the manuscript but has been re-arranged by later writers.

The way that the poem is laid out in this book and other sources shows a gap between in the middle of many of the lines. Any ideas on that?

Dancing Bear

NO Milfoil.. I have been trying to find out why the gaps!! I will let you know as soon as i find out!! Or if you find out let me know!!

Dancing Bear

The Third verse is definately Thur, Or thors hammer..
Thurisaz or Thorn in the Elder futhark.

"A third i know, if great my need of fetters to hold my foe; Blunt do i make mine enemy's blade, Nor bites his swrod or staff.."

Thors hammer had the power to blunt the enemies blades at need.

Dancing Bear

I know Ralph Blum is contraversial with his blank rune..

But!! I have been thinking on this 164 Stanza..
"The Eighteenth I know, That Ne'er will i tell. To maiden or wife of man
The Best is what none but ones self doth know, So come the end of songs"

Would this refer to rune unseen.. and rune with no symbol at all.. but only one could see within?

Also anyone any idea what Rune would be associated with Leechcraft..
Leechcraft being medical knowledge.. or back in those days would be herbal remedies, healing.

Healing is the one word association i have given 148 Stanza..

" A second i know, That men shall need, Who leechcraft long to use"