Shadowscapes - Eight of Swords

triple_entendre

Wasting energy on the trivial, frozen in crisis, restricted, confused, feeling powerless, trapped by circumstances.

The Brambles Crone lives among the blackberry hedges where the fruit is tempting and sweet, but even the leaves have wickedly curved thorns to catch and hold. The little hummingbird may flit and navigate with ease among such treacherous tangles, but the noble and grand elegance of the Swan with the arcing spread of her wings is not for such tangled and thorny corridors.

-- from Shadowscapes.com

The landscape of the bramble comes to a head, specifically a large-nosed head covered by a faun-horned hood. The whole patch appears to just be an extension of the Brambles Crone's cloak. This card shows a swan wrapped, and trapped in thorny vines, stuck with sword-shaped shadows, while a hummingbird flits freely above.

That the hummingbird experiences the bramble differently than the swan, is a touch of positivity. In any situation that the Eight of Swords can apply to: are you being forced to change your very nature, or merely your perspective? Sometimes, of course, the friction between one's nature and one's circumstances are so great that there really is no choice-- even though others might keep seeing that there is one.

thirdlibra

I love this card (but there hasn't been one that I haven't said that about...). I just did the Message From the Universe spread from the LWB, and this card showedn up for Mind. I recently, in a point of lowness, that I felt that I couldn't catch up to my boyfriend, in terms of sheer knowledge. He's the second smartest person I know, after my dad. This card says not to send a swan to do a hummingbird's job. Hummingbirds are one of my spirit animals, so this card really resonates. I can weave my way through the trickiest problem, if I use my strengths.